User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Fire at one of my last rental

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Ed The Roofer

I prefer that there is no conflict and that when the adjuster is supplied with the proper facts, they should act responsibly, not as if the money due were directly coming out of their pockets and make life and the job progression more difficult to get under way.

But, from about 1/2 of my experiences, it seems as if they stall at this point and try to see who can hold their breath longer, waiting for the go ahead for the scope discussed.

Ed>>>

April 9, 2009 at 8:41 p.m.

CIAK

Ed Man you are sharp. That is what I'm talking about. Knowing the process. If I have a customer with a roofing claim and they want me to handle it I do the same thing I do for myself . You can lead your customer through any circumstance . Even if you get an adjuster who shorts the claim , even if you don't know it till later in the process , If you understand how things work and are calm and not afraid the claims process just becomes a sequence instead of the dribble and whining you hear echoing through the hollow heads of those who seek to mislead or are ignorant lemmings , Knowledge is power Bacon. So by not feeding the frenzy you further your business your relationship with the people in your community and the professionalism of your craft, Fear is an illusion. I do have nervous feeling only because of conflict . What I realized along time ago conflict is part of life . So I'm not afraid of it anymore . If you know how things work you can better serve your customer. Nothing perfect. I haven't seen any of the numbers yet . That should be happening in a couple of weeks.>>>

April 9, 2009 at 4:30 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

You should be kept very satisfied though Ciak, because you have an insiders knowledge on how the process works.

Had you been an unknowing home owner, do you suspect that there would so far have been a different handling of the claim?

I don't mean as far as the professional respect that they usually do always provide to the home owner. They are all very well trained to be completely customer service oriented in a reasonable and diplomatic manner. But, your claim is not yet complete, so we need to see if they agree with the end resulting expectations you desire for the rehabilitation of the property.

You have a major advantage in this claims process, which is to know in advance all of the additional line items that should be included and who else needs to be called in.

I am sure that you will let them write it up, then you will analyze the scope for complete accuracy and thoroughness and if their are any items you are aware of, that they did not consider, you will be able to properly negotiate the additional line items to get included.

Now, if that does occur, think about the home owner. Would they know to ask for more items on a typical case? would they know about the GC OH & P that should necessarily be added to the bottom line amount? Would there preferred contractor they had been considering using know about those items?

Yes, they are very professional and respectful at all times, but you have to be aware when they are shaking your hand with one hand and picking your pocket with the other.

Please let me explain the bitter sound of those previous comments and do not take them personally.

Dang, that sounds a lot more inciting than I had intended it to come off as. I KNOW that not all adjusters are like that, but it sure does seem as if the majority miss so many items that should be considered.

As one point in perspective to get the point across clearly, I know you know Dougger222. He posted on Roofing.co this morning, basically how much he loves dealing with insurance adjusters and claims and we all know that he is very good at it and a complete professional about his business. But, he also stated that over the hundreds and hundreds of claims that he was involved in, not one time did any adjuster have the entire scope and cost correct. I am sure he was exaggerating to make a point, but that is even his impression of the majority of adjusters and he really likes working with them.

Ed>>>

April 9, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.

CIAK

I met the engineers and scientist today. They confirmed what I already knew , It is good to know what is going on. The next big question is " 20% + of the structure damaged . If it is a total upgrade to new construction standards will have to met. I've already been investigating making the property from the insurance money a whole lot nicer than it was. I am really happy how I have been treated . The people are first class professional . The process is moving along fairly rapidly . I look forward the construction to start. Very satisfied up to this point.>>>

April 9, 2009 at 3:59 p.m.

CIAK

I don't think I was even thinking in that vein Ed. I was more concerned about the H/O not getting the same quality workmanship from the stormer as from the local guy who is concerned with his community . Then not knowing the way the insurance company pays it's claims the process. The smart contractor as mentioned earlier has taken the stormers approach applied it through knowledge and his market doesn't suffer because he becomes a stormer himself. So instead of crying whining get smart do your home work . What is it that the stormer do that you don't . I'm not talking about workmanship I'm talking marketing your community. Get off your arse stuff. Knowledge is power , Bacon.>>>

April 9, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

CIAK Said: Most homeowners dont and are taking advantage of ...not by the insurance company , surprise... surprise .

By the predatorial stormers who know the system and how to work it. It is pathetic to listen to the dribble from some of the local roofing contractors now matter where you are . There is opportunity lots of it here.

Ciak, please expand on the ways that you see the home owners being taken advantage of, in case I am looking at it from a different perspective?

Do you mean the contractors who do not know enough to get their client the full amount of remediation work done? This would thereby leave them at a loss of value after the work is completed, if so.

Ed>>>

April 9, 2009 at 10:27 a.m.

wywoody

I'm outta here for a week or so.

Gonna be movin to Montana to raise me some dental floss.

Gonna ride around on a little bitty pony, too. (Zappa circa '71)>>>

April 9, 2009 at 10:17 a.m.

JET

CIAK Said: Jet Look here brother who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now, Who , you jiving with that cosmik debris? Look here brother, pay attention please. Dont waste your time on me for the uninitiated Frank Zappa Mother of Invention ;)

Saw (and met) Zappa in '71 at a concert in Germany. He sucked too :P :P

JET>>>

April 9, 2009 at 8:21 a.m.

CIAK

This will be interesting . I'm still a little nervous . I can understand some of the concerns of a homeowner that is a novice who gets all the negatives from the local contractors and stormers . This was brought up in another thread . Sometimes we can be are worst competitors . This is an opportunity to learn the mechanics of the sale . I'll report on this process honestly. I know how and what to expect . Most homeowners don't and are taking advantage of ...not by the insurance company , surprise... surprise . By the predatorial stormers who know the system and how to work it. It is pathetic to listen to the dribble from some of the local roofing contractors now matter where you are . There is opportunity lots of it here.>>>

April 8, 2009 at 10:31 a.m.

CIAK

Jet "Look here brother who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now, Who , you jiving with that cosmik debris? Look here brother, pay attention please. Don't waste your time on me" for the uninitiated Frank Zappa Mother of Invention ;)>>>

April 8, 2009 at 10:01 a.m.

JET

What's that "clicking" sound you keep hearing Chucky? Dumdadumdum :P :P

JET>>>

April 8, 2009 at 9:03 a.m.

CIAK

I just got the call from the structural people. HSA engineers and scientist. Tomorrow after noon. These guys are hired to determine if the foundation piers and beams the house sets on have to be replaces or not. Their were a couple of rafters that suffered some damage also. I would be lying if I said I was confident about this phase. I have to trust the process. Tomorrow never knows. From the Tebetian Book of the Dead .........."When in doubt, relax, turn off your mind, float downstream".>>>

April 8, 2009 at 7:20 a.m.

CIAK

In a perfect world those expectations would hold true. Of Course we are dealing with human beings in an imperfect world. Of course the praise in the end is self serving . By lifting others to perform their jobs feeling appreciated is a known method to garner support . Please and a Thank you go along way . Remember what your mommy taught you ???? I have just started the process of invoicing . I'll fax the invoices today to the central hub as stated. A structural engineer has been hired to review the claim . I understand this completely. I'm in no hurry . I would like to get started though.>>>

April 8, 2009 at 6:49 a.m.

Roof Doctors USA

CIAK - Glad all is going well. With regard to dealing with professionals, it's a shame that you feel it necessary to thank them for doing their job. I know that wasn't what you meant, but one would think they would do their correctly regardless of the praise. I agree "ya catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

It's not by accident that an insured pays the premiums month after month, year after year. The insurance companies aren't doing you a favor when they pay out on a claim. They are fulfilling their contractual obligation. While I understand due diligence, the insurance company should do everything within it's power fulfill it's contractual obligations quickly.

Have you gotten any money yet from the Ins. Co.? It's been 19 days since the fire?>>>

April 8, 2009 at 6:23 a.m.

CIAK

I emailed my adjusters keeping them abreast of what is going on. They gave the 800 number for the central desk to fax my invoices . Cool that was extremely helpful. I shot a short thank you back. If cool heads can be maintained a lot more is accomplished. Always if deserved let the people your dealing with know they are very much appreciated. Catch more with honey than vinegar. I have had a tendency in the past to Beach more than thank . Not helpful.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - Banner Ad - How to Connect with Vocational Schools (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders