User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Fire at one of my last rental

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

I have the final check in my hand . I have full policy limits No recoverable depreciation just straight up pay Ola + lost rents until the project is complete and the house is livable again. I love the insurance company. Kool Beans . The process works not just for me but everyone. Damn I didn't need the ambulance chasing PA after all. Most don't but are put off by the scary conspiracy crap that is fed out there by well no sense trying to talk any reason here . Or maybe there is hope. I just want to say again the system works if you understand it.>>>

May 10, 2009 at 12:53 p.m.

CIAK

Ed The Roo

The point I always made in the past, was that it is a Rare home owner who understands the process

Well, the reality of how it really works to the uneducated about the methods,

Home owners are not aware of the fact that Xactimate is Only An Estimate in and of itself.

Replacement cost coverage means that they are obligated to pay for like kind and quality for the agreed upon scope.

Ed

ED I missed an opportunity here . I believe you have come a long way in understanding the process. Now that you know. You can help educate your potential customer with what you are aware of. This is where I wanted this to go . Take control of the customer and the selling process. " Knowledge is power " Francis Bacon . No more beaching . It is in your hands now>>>

May 6, 2009 at 11:39 a.m.

The FNRUFR

is it policy holders O and P? Or is it contractors O and P?

Just trying to learn the system and how it works.>>>

May 6, 2009 at 7:29 a.m.

CIAK

Ed The Roofer Said: Ciak,

Of course you applied and used your insiders leverage.

The point I always made in the past, was that it is a Rare home owner who understands the process and they get rolled over and dictated to as if that is there only recourse.

Go get 3 estimates and turn them into us for approval.

We can set you up with our Preferred Contractor.

No, we are not paying that much. Out estimate only comes up to half that amount.

Well, the reality of how it really works to the uneducated about the methods, is that what that smiling adjuster tells you is Gosel. As you point out, you have to clue them in to the additional work. They probably already took your insiders viewpoint into consideration knowing that it would be scrutinized.

Home owners are not aware of the fact that Xactimate is Only An Estimate in and of itself.

Replacement cost coverage means that they are obligated to pay for like kind and quality for the agreed upon scope.

Once an insured has a fair contract in hand, the game ends in most cases. There need not be any back and forth negotiation, as long as only the agreed upon scope of work is being applied to the contract.

Now, I hope that you get every bit of the true proceeds that you are due, plus the 10 + 10 OH & P that you deserve for managing the construction activities that will ensue.

Ed

Ed thanks for following up with this. My mission here is not to toot my own horn , I have plenty of opportunities to do that. I am trying to make aware those who can hear me how the process works , there are opportunities , become educated in that process I know the process very well . My advice to those who can hear me and to those who may be loosening up the ear wax , stop bitching moaning and complaining . Get out there educate your community before and during an event, Become proactive. To the rest of you bashi-bazouk's :P :P :P :laugh:

How's it going with you Ed ?? Your a good guy here . Thanks for your support . You know the bitching etc I have put up with here . Imagine that visceral poison spilling out in an attitude towards customers :( Ouch , No wonder some don't want to say You got the job . I mean this in a general perspective . Not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. Perhaps along with this topic attitudes should be discussed. I plan on getting everything that is due. I have already updated the inside adjuster again. I'll continue to post the process as I experience it .>>>

May 5, 2009 at 9:18 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Ciak,

Of course you applied and used your insiders leverage.

The point I always made in the past, was that it is a Rare home owner who understands the process and they get rolled over and dictated to as if that is there only recourse.

Go get 3 estimates and turn them into us for approval.

We can set you up with our "Preferred" Contractor.

No, we are not paying that much. Out estimate only comes up to half that amount.

Well, the reality of how it really works to the uneducated about the methods, is that what that smiling adjuster tells you is Gosel. As you point out, you have to clue them in to the additional work. They probably already took your insiders viewpoint into consideration knowing that it would be scrutinized.

Home owners are not aware of the fact that Xactimate is "Only An Estimate" in and of itself.

Once an insured has a fair contract in hand, the game ends in most cases. There need not be any back and forth negotiation, as long as only the agreed upon scope of work is being applied to the contract.

Now, I hope that you get every bit of the true proceeds that you are due, plus the 10 + 10 OH & P that you deserve for managing the construction activities that will ensue.

Ed>>>

May 5, 2009 at 9:11 p.m.

CIAK

I know that a catastrophe is declared when the damage goes over One million dollars. A Major Disaster Declaration usually follows these steps: Local Government Responds, supplemented by neighboring communities and volunteer agencies. If overwhelmed, turn to the state for assistance; The State Responds with state resources, such as the National Guard and state agencies; Damage Assessment by local, state, federal, and volunteer organizations determines losses and recovery needs; A Major Disaster Declaration is requested by the governor, based on the damage assessment, and an agreement to commit state funds and resources to the long-term recovery; FEMA Evaluates the request and recommends action to the White House based on the disaster, the local community and the state's ability to recover; The President approves the request or FEMA informs the governor it has been denied. This decision process could take a few hours or several weeks depending on the nature of the disaster. >>>

May 5, 2009 at 8:29 p.m.

builderr

Maybe this should be in a new thread, but I'm going to ask it here, and if it needs to be moved, just say so. It's not clear to me as to when a bad storm becomes a federal disaster. And then, if and when it does....when does the SBA Federal disaster relief insurance step in....after you have settled with your own insurance, or in place of them or what? I have been involved with the Blizzard of 78 in New England. Being a local contractor at that time, in my opinion was to my advantage. Unfortunately, I didn't charge for estimates, was totally uneducated in the insurance -savvy lingo needed to moove smoothly thru the process. despite that, we wrote close to $30 Million dollars worth of estimates, and performed close to $3 Million of that. Despite that, we lost $200,000.00 from jobs we couldn't collect on. When a deposit check comes in the mail..... from an estimate that you gave to a customer and their insurance company, I think it's only natural to assume that you are dealing with an approved claim, and funds from same claim. Regardless of my error in following up on where it's coming from, I still had a business to run, and a payroll to meet. I don't think "blue tarp nation" was a politically correct back then, but we did perform a lot of temporary boarding up, and security measures for customers that were referred to us from our insurance company. We had become the only local "Federal disaster relief" contractor still in business.

A few years later, when the dust had settled, and the books were balanced, it was very clear as to what needed to be in place to do business more efficiently. Remember... this was before cell phones, laptops, excell spreadsheets and quick books, amongst many other modern day conveniences, or assumed tools for doing business. If there was any similarity between then and now when it comes to big disasters, it might be in the methods of the utility companies.....they came from everywhere... neighborhoods became ghost towns.....National guard standing at intersections with machine guns, hovering around 55 gal cans burning wood for heat and chacking ID from every vehicle was a normal days observation. Having an SBA emergancy Disaster relief permit was a commodity. The list of volunteers wanting to ride with us and help us, just to see their neighbors homes destruction was endless. It was a little bit more serious than hail damage litigation, but still,t was construction business in it's most essential form. Living with a tarp is a lot less devastating to me than seeing your house after being under two high tide storm surges, with your doors ripped out, and your possessions floated a mile or more away to the other side of the river. My point is, the psychology of dealing with these people, living in a local high school gymnasium on cots, not knowing anything, has to have a lot more personal urgency than dealing with homeowners waiting for what we all know could be cosmetic repairs, more than urgent work. It almost seems here, and not to be condescending to anyone, that insurance adjusters are as im-personaland insensitive, as the storm chasers that show up and start working as soon as the money starts flowing.

>>>

May 5, 2009 at 1:41 p.m.

CIAK

Minnesota I kinda freaked the inside adjuster out . I was critiquing the summary and made him aware of some of the discrepancies . I get my obligatory E mail . How in the hell did you get that . I haven't even reviewed it or looked at it !!!!!!!!! :ohmy: I just very politely mentioned we need to proceed from here and take a look at yada yadda line item so and so . I apologized for freaking him out. I did tell him in the beginning what I did . No surprises there. Kindness and patience's is the key. He still doesn't like the fact I got it before he did. Ed would call that leverage . B) ;) ;)>>>

May 4, 2009 at 9:14 p.m.

CIAK

The PA's have police and fire scanners, this guy was there with in less than or about 30 mins after the fire trucks left I mean to say quick . With the percentage the PA would have charged me for representing me on this claim . It would have definitely not been worth my time with him . The process doesn't change it is the same . As far as throwing the 10 an 10 out not a chance . Like I've been saying if you know the process . It's the system . >>>

May 4, 2009 at 6:52 p.m.

CIAK

Just received my tarp and clean up checks . I also have the adjusters summary in my possession . I have been reviewing it . Looks like I'm going to file a supplement for kitchen cabinet uppers . The rest of the claim so far is more than fair . With the 20% overhead and profit it will allow me to upgrade many of the systems in the house. It has been a very nice and well organized process, As I have mentioned before if you know the process things will and can work for you>>>

May 1, 2009 at 11:07 a.m.

CIAK

I have just received my ALE check for lost rent 3 months , 2 in advance + tarp and clean up. Now I'll admit here that I had to get a little forceful with the inside adjuster. What I mean by this is , the process started to stall a little . With courteous understanding not whimpy dialogue ( it went a little like this ........ I'm glad you have reviewed my claim Thank you. Now all that aside it is time for action yadda yadda I don't want to fight you but I will . As a resort , however not the last one I will start with your manager then on to ......... I was on the phone with him after that and matters are well in hand and underway. Knowing the process's and staying calm but firm gets it done. After the engineer report I'll receive a claim summary which I will go over and any discrepancy I will go to the process>>>

April 23, 2009 at 9:16 a.m.

JET

CIAK Said: While I was away I contacted the inside adjuster to find out what was going on with the engineers report. It hasnt been processed yet . The inside adjuster who I will be dealing with from here on because I havent treated him like the enemy has been very accommodating and has helped me . The process works if you are calm and understand and work the process.

You just keep tellin' yourself that Chucky :P :P 'cause the hammer is comin' down soon and you know it.

JET>>>

April 21, 2009 at 7:46 p.m.

CIAK

While I was away I contacted the inside adjuster to find out what was going on with the engineer's report. It hasn't been processed yet . The inside adjuster who I will be dealing with from here on because I haven't treated him like the enemy has been very accommodating and has helped me . The process works if you are calm and understand and work the process.>>>

April 10, 2009 at 11:08 a.m.

CIAK

Off to Oaklahoma City the palce is blazing see ya>>>

April 10, 2009 at 6:35 a.m.

CIAK

Well ed let try to understand the process, The catastrophe adjuster is paid on a percentage , That is the more the claim pays the more he or she makes. Now if your dealing with an inside salaried adjuster it is in their best interest as far as the money goes to only what they see and know. The short sided side of that is the urban legend of the the insurance company ripping everyone off is perpetuated and the myth continues . On the other side the Insurance company are in business today because they know how to make money . All of it can be adjusted .Most inside adjuster pride themselves on getting the square footage of the roof correct , On this point for the most part I think I can agree . When you meet them on site they will let you know how well and how many roofs they look at in a month. That doesn't make then roofing experts by a long shot. that is where a lot of the issue start to play . Dp not be intimidated go for what you know as an expert . Watch what happens. is do it with firm kindness not the usual your ripping me off scumbag insurance companies etc Professionalism is what the are used to . If your right stick to your guns pursue it .>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps