User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Fire at one of my last rental

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

I'll get to experience first hand now as an owner of an insured property that has had significant damage due to a fire. Ill keep you updated with the insurance side . I know the process and how it is supposed to work. One very interesting thing A Public Adjuster was there within minutes of the police leaving. This guy reminded me of an ambulance chaser telling all the negatives about how the insurance will rip me off and how he will only charge me 10% of the final claim. I didn't let on about what I knew . I did ask very pertaint questions. He was accurate in his answers.>>>

May 3, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.

copperman

Pictures! we want Pictures! See it's much better with pictures after rebuild

May 3, 2010 at 7:18 a.m.

CIAK

FYI Finished , new renter and a much improved and beautiful property . The city just gave me the opportunity to buy the adjoining property. They had it on inventory and now offer it to me . Cool . I love this place . Thank you insurance company and all who helped me put this property back together .

December 3, 2009 at 3:56 p.m.

CIAK

I just received the 50% check from the inspection a few weeks ago . One thing I didn't mention is all the proceeds from the fire. W9 to me . The total of the claim is reported to the IRS . I have to show all the expenses to cover . Now I don't think I'll have a problem with that . I had to show the total amount the project will cost to receive all the funds of the Total Property Loss claim check. If the total had not reached the claim amount the bank would have kept the difference. Not credit it back to me or towards the small mortgage I have on this property . Now that is a rip if you ask me . Just letting anyone know this is what happens in case you end up in a situation .

November 10, 2009 at 10:56 a.m.

CIAK

OK ,I met the inspector from the bank today . Signed off on the 50% progress sheet . What happens next is the bank sends me a nice size check to continue . Roof is on , ruff electrical , ruff plumbing , A/C and framing . Siding is being installed as I write this . Cool very very cool . Oh yeah , In my best Shaggy " the train is coming baby .I say the train is coming now .I say the train is coming baby . The train is coming now . soo long I've been waiting ,waiting for...... .................. :) :) B) B) :woohoo: :woohoo: I found what the problem was . The bank had changed tracking numbers and I didn't have the presence of mind to ask the right questions about it . Once I figured it out things started to change . " The process " When and if you are ever in a situation like this make sure you ask questions no matter how stupid it may seem . The bank became my friend after I learned how to communicate with them .

September 24, 2009 at 9:58 a.m.

CIAK

My biggest problem in this whole process ............. is not the insurance company . They have been exemplary in the claims process. Followed the contract ( policy ) the way it is written . Understand what your policy ( contract ) says. The contractor............ easy to work with on time and very very communicative. The biggest problem is the bank at this moment . I keep submitting the same documents over and over for every draw and communication. Extremely frustrating .>>>

September 21, 2009 at 2:08 p.m.

CIAK

Cool the construction is well under way. Soon will be meeting the 50% mark and will have the inspections . That triggers the bank to release after the inspection 50% of the claim amount . The property is shaping up real nice . The roof will come off this week sometime . It is exciting watching the progress. B) ;) ;) B) For those keeping score : John posted in another forum and totally independent ............. If you had AIC, CPCU, ARM and a college degree you might maybe get an adjuster job. " You still would need to have XACTIMATE experience and even some adjusting experience if there were not a lot of storms going on. " ;) ;) :laugh: My prayer Palsm 56

2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me,

5 Every day they wrest my words: all their thoughts are against me for evil.

6 They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps, when they wait for my soul. B) ;) B)>>>

September 21, 2009 at 12:30 p.m.

Jed

bump :laugh:>>>

August 12, 2009 at 5:10 p.m.

CIAK

Construction starts Monday . I have had the insurance cancel my H/Os insurance while the structure is being rebuilt . I picked up a builders risk at AAA . I'm excited about the construction . This process has progressed with a few bumps in the road . When I had a problem I knew and hopefully you guys understand now , Don't take anything but what is due you or your clients . Don't give up keep screaming . The squeaky wheel is the key . Read and understand the contract . I had to put upper pressure down on the inside adjuster. From managers and supervisor + a threat to go to the Insurance Commission file a report on inside adjuster to get him off the dime . After that it was an email to him and cc all concerned supervisors and managers . This is a pressure business . Pressure makes things move . The contract always!!!! I mean always!!!! is interpreted in favor of the H/O's.>>>

July 24, 2009 at 5:13 p.m.

CIAK

I started this topic with Roof Doc's asking me if was a total. I said no. I was wrong. Now referring to Hatricks reply and the subsequent result he has angry neighbors and fears he has lost a neighborhood . My case has turned out to be great for me . I would have been happy with the first assessment . Fortunately I am extremely happy with the end result. You are the engineer of your life .>>>

July 23, 2009 at 3:19 p.m.

CIAK

Ok I had to go back to the insurance carrier and request another document to verify the property was a total loss , paid premium limits. I again was handled very professionally and the doc was emailed to me asap and a hard copy in my mail box 2 days later. As this goes on I'm finding the Bank has been the most disorganized . I copied the document and sent out that hour. I've been waiting for a couple of weeks for the check to show up . Yesterday my patience had run out . I called the bank and a new series of requirements were thrown at me . After many questions from me and a switch to a supervisor I think I finally understood what it was being asked of me . After I hung up I was fuming . More red tape from the bank. I'm having breakfast this morning . My phone rings THE LOVELY MRS CIAK " Chuck , your check showed up today " The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing .. Again if you read this Minn. " Thank You " give me a call or e mail.>>>

July 8, 2009 at 6:24 p.m.

CIAK

:woohoo: :woohoo: :side: :silly: :side: :laugh: B)...... I just got a recorded call from the Bank of America today. They were putting the check in the mail today . This has gone from being nervous about what I believed to be true and what was . Now I know for certain what to expect and what happens. It is true . The insurance company has been ," honest moral and ethical . True to their contract . The bank so far the same. Insurance is a very good thing . The people that work for them under a lot of pressure . Still customer friendly and ethical honest and moral. My convictions are restored and I will better be able to work with customers knowing the company I work for has my back and does what they say they will. Cool very very cool remember " pay your premiums ">>>

July 7, 2009 at 8:54 a.m.

CIAK

Patty Cakes Said: One of the weirdest things is when I m driving around and find my self where I wanted to be and cant remember how I got there. What stop sign I stopped or where I turned .

Couldnt resist !!!! Now you have my red flags flying. :woohoo: PC

Must be the same red flags flying I had I have tried over the years to figure out why this happens. The one conclusion I have come to that makes sense . I am so familiar with the area . I knew most turns and roads to and from the work area. A hypnosis ,self induced . No accidents , no running red light citations. Nothing of that sort. I would pull up in the drive or front of house as if the transporter was working just fine. " BEAM ME UP SCOTTY ." :woohoo: :woohoo:>>>

July 6, 2009 at 6:57 a.m.

CIAK

Mike I was gonna give you a call today .As I read your reply I didn't think it was now. I look forward to possibly meeting and having the Lovely Mrs's having a chat. Hopefully we can put up with the " Shabby " part of the state. Whew that was " ca razzy " !!! I do find my self talking to myself sometimes. One of the weirdest things is when I 'm driving around and find my self where I wanted to be and can't remember how I got there. What stop sign I stopped or where I turned . Nothing is familiar other than the vehicle I'm sitting in . What I do remember . Some of the songs I sang and parts of the conversation's I had with myself. :laugh: :laugh: ;) ;)>>>

July 5, 2009 at 9:53 p.m.

Mike H

Are you talkin' to yourself again? Have I just been stood up by a guy that was just whinin' about nobody wantin' to meet him? Do you really understand what's going on up there? LOL>>>

July 5, 2009 at 6:35 p.m.

CIAK

May be this plane will fly http://microsite.smithsonianmag.com/airspacemag/video-players/asm-video-ooyala-marines.html Take no prisoners . What ever that means I don't want to wander adrift to far . :laugh: :laugh: Thanks Patty You are a sweet heart>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The Glo Group - Banner Ad - Leverage Your Team to Scale Your Business - RLW On Demand
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June