Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Fire at one of my last rental

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

Did you even read the three sections posted ciak?...........yeah, I know rhetorical question. You did'nt, of course. Just dismissed what Ed took the time to post with a dismissive, arrogant wave of the hand.

Since 2004, Allstate has been defying an order by the same .....

In the decade after Allstate instituted the McKinsey pro......

McKinsey worked with Allstate to install Colossus...... etc, etc

A small part contain allegations, hardly out of line as this is a legal case representation. A large part is factual, uncovered by investigative work, (see above) and some is perception.

As for me asking you to back up your statement with factual clarification being "just to ignorant to even comment much" further" Like I said, with every spasmodic keystroke.

"Allstate says some people hired lawyers because they were not familiar with the claims process. " Wonder where I have heard this before............>>>

June 2, 2009 at 6:07 p.m.

CIAK

Ed There is a statute of limitations . If you plan on making it work ,get it done before that . In most states it 5 yrs>>>

June 2, 2009 at 6:00 p.m.

CIAK

Ed All good reading material . Most if not all are alleged not facts . I think you are a wise person because you understand concepts . As far as Jed saying he wanted facts and my personal hands on experience is not facts . It is just to ignorant to even comment much further . I figure if I burn my finger on a stove or I have a good experience , it is a fact . Of course it's possible a conspiracy theory ,I'm only arguing this because I'm in the secret pay of the Insurance Company which for decades has tried to cover up the true underhandedness and cruelty Mafia style. Stealing poor slobs ready to be rolled . :laugh: B) B) :woohoo: :laugh:>>>

June 2, 2009 at 4:26 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

DRY SPIGOT Another major focus was on "subjective" injuries, meaning claims for such things as emotional distress and pain and suffering, as opposed to "objective" injuries, such as broken limbs. To get a handle on these claims, the notes on the slides show, McKinsey worked with Allstate to install Colossus, a computerized claim-evaluation system sold by Computer Sciences Corp. (CSC ) Colossus compares a claimant's injuries with a database of similar cases and recommends a settlement range. Plaintiffs' attorneys have alleged that insurers can "tune" Colossus to consistently spit out lowball offers.

Berardinelli's notes show one McKinsey slide stating that the system has been "extremely successful in reducing severities with reductions in the range of 20% for Colossus-evaluated claims." ("Severities" is insurance industry jargon referring to the size of claim payments.) In its written response to BusinessWeek, Allstate says that "Colossus is merely a tool used to assist in the valuation" of some bodily injury claims and that adjusters use their expertise to come up with appropriate settlements "on each individual claim."

One of the key elements of McKinsey's plan was reducing the number of claimants who turn to attorneys after an accident for help in collecting on their insurance. The consultants even forecast what the potential gains in this area would mean for Allstate's stock. A 25% drop in attorneys appearing in several categories of cases could add $1.60 to Allstate's share price, one slide states, according to Berardinelli's notes.

The boxing gloves slide was displayed in open court in a case against Allstate in Kentucky last year. It states that by "holding the line" on cases where accident victims hire lawyers, Allstate could achieve "a new distribution of settlement times" on subjective-injury claims. "By increasing the number of early unrepresented settlements," the slide says, Allstate could give 90% of these claims the "good hands" treatment, resolving them within about 200 days. But the slide shows the remaining 10% getting "boxing gloves" treatment, and a graph shows resolution of their claims taking as much as four years or longer.

In Berardinelli's view, this slide reflects what he sees as the current practice at Allstate. Claimants in the "good hands" category may get swift reimbursement, but they will end up with less than they're entitled to, he says. Those who hold out for more -- and retain a lawyer to help them get it -- face battering in the courts and potentially years of delay. "You can get your claims resolved promptly or fairly," he argues, "but not both." Allstate says some people hired lawyers because they were not familiar with the claims process.

Once the CCPR program was rolled out in 1995, the effect was quickly felt by the trial bar. "We would ordinarily settle one or two cases a month," recalls Whitney Buchanan, a plaintiffs' attorney in Albuquerque. But then, "Allstate simply turned off the taps."

In mounting a counterattack, plaintiffs' attorneys have had some success. Courts and regulators in a number of states, including New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington, have forced Allstate to halt or change its practice of handing out a controversial "Do I Need an Attorney?" form to people involved in accidents. And Colossus, now widely used in the insurance industry, has come under attack on a number of fronts, with attorneys alleging it is being used to lowball claims. Last year, Farmers Insurance Group, a unit of Zurich Financial Services, agreed in a nationwide settlement to stop using it for certain claims.

Loquacious and professorial-looking, Berardinelli began his quest for the McKinsey documents in a routine bad-faith suit he filed against Allstate in December, 2000, in Santa Fe County. In ordering Allstate to turn the McKinsey material over to Berardinelli, the trial judge ruled that the documents were not entitled to confidentiality but said Berardinel

June 2, 2009 at 4:25 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

MAY 1, 2006 LEGAL AFFAIRS

In Tough Hands At Allstate It's fighting accusations that its methods deny policyholders legitimate benefits

David Berardinelli is something of a bon vivant. The Santa Fe (N.M.) plaintiffs' lawyer collects fine wine, has chefs from local restaurants over to cook in his home, and restores classic Porsches. He's also about to become a published author.

His book, From Good Hands to Boxing Gloves, won't burn up the best-seller lists. But it's already making waves. It tells the story of the key role played by management consultant McKinsey & Co. in reengineering auto insurance claims operations at Allstate Corp. (ALL ) -- and it's a story Allstate doesn't want told.

In February, a New Mexico state court rejected Allstate's efforts to keep Berardinelli from publishing his book, which will be marketed to trial lawyers nationwide later this year. Since 2004, Allstate has been defying an order by the same court to make available public copies of some 12,500 PowerPoint slides McKinsey prepared for the insurer, which form the basis of the book. That's quite unusual -- big companies almost never ignore judicial orders. In a court filing, Allstate has characterized its actions as "respectful civil disobedience."

What is it that Allstate so badly wants to keep under wraps? In a written response to BusinessWeek, the insurer says the McKinsey material contains proprietary business secrets. The documents also present a clear risk to the company's reputation. The title of Berardinelli's book is drawn from a McKinsey slide that suggests that Allstate should treat some of its claimants with "boxing gloves," rather than with its trademark "good hands." Collectively, the documents present a portrait of business strategies that are at odds with the insurer's carefully cultivated public image. Rather than simply rushing to the scene of an accident and doling out cash, Allstate deploys a variety of systems set in place by McKinsey to make sure it pays the minimum necessary -- and it plays hardball with those who seek more.

Berardinelli, 57, has provided BusinessWeek an exclusive copy of a draft of the book, as well as more than 200 typed pages of notes he took on the McKinsey slides. His tale illuminates the largely hidden role McKinsey has played as a key architect of claims practices in use across the insurance industry today. In addition to advising Allstate, McKinsey has also done work for Farmers Insurance Group, USAA, State Farm, and Fireman's Fund (AZ ). While many of the cost-reduction strategies McKinsey recommended at Allstate remain in place, some have been reined in following legal and regulatory challenges in several states.

EPIC WAR Berardinelli's book is certainly a partisan one, written to support "bad faith" lawsuits that he and other attorneys have filed against Allstate alleging mistreatment of policyholders. He says that the McKinsey project, which lasted from 1992 until at least 1997, institutionalized aggressive practices aimed at enriching investors at the expense of customers. "When you strip away all the fancy jargon, all this is a plan for switching money from the policyholders' pockets to the shareholders' pockets," he maintains. In the decade after Allstate instituted the McKinsey program in 1995, the amount of money it paid out per premium dollar in car accident cases declined from about 63 cents to 47 cents, according to A.M. Best.

Mckinsey declined to comment, citing client confidentiality. But Allstate says Berardinelli's allegations are "unfounded and unproven." Rather than trying to cheat customers, the company says, its claims revamp was just good management: an effort to "become the premier claim organization in the industry." A major goal, it says, was to benefit policyholders by identifying "exaggerated and fraudulent claims." In its written response, Allstate further said its "processes are absolutely sound" and that it

June 2, 2009 at 4:24 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

CIAK: [ RE: Fire at one of my last rental ] , Monday, June 01, 2009 @ 7:49 PM I am a : Roofer The whole idea of conspiracy is to enable other people to take advantage of situations . I see it here in . I know what happens . I see people being taken advantage of because of it .

It doesn't have to be this way.

Chuck,

You are right, but only for those with the knowledge of how to work within the system, which I have learned much in the past year or so.

But, for those not familiar, such as any typical home owner, the topic in the following book review is the more established industry standard, maybe not in the majority of instances, but a significant enough cross section of insureds who are not treated with in a fair and equitable manner such as yourself and others familiar with the system.

For my own cause, I intend on learning as much as I can, so that rather than the system change to my likings, I can use it to my and my customers advantage.

Ed

Please read the following:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_18/b3982072.htm

MAY 1, 2006 LEGAL AFFAIRS

In Tough Hands At Allstate It's fighting accusations that its methods deny policyholders legitimate benefits

David Berardinelli is something of a bon vivant. The Santa Fe (N.M.) plaintiffs' lawyer collects fine wine, has chefs from local restaurants over to cook in his home, and restores classic Porsches. He's also about to become a published author.

His book, From Good Hands to Boxing Gloves, won't burn up the best-seller lists. But it's already making waves. It tells the story of the key role played by management consultant McKinsey & Co. in reengineering auto insurance claims operations at Allstate Corp. (ALL ) -- and it's a story Allstate doesn't want told.

In February, a New Mexico state court rejected Allstate's efforts to keep Berardinelli from publishing his book, which will be marketed to trial lawyers nationwide later this year. Since 2004, Allstate has been defying an order by the same court to make available public copies of some 12,500 PowerPoint slides McKinsey prepared for the insurer, which form the basis of the book. That's quite unusual -- big companies almost never ignore judicial orders. In a court filing, Allstate has characterized its actions as "respectful civil disobedience."

What is it that Allstate so badly wants to keep under wraps? In a written response to BusinessWeek, the insurer says the McKinsey material contains proprietary business secrets. The documents also present a clear risk to the company's reputation. The title of Berardinelli's book is drawn from a McKinsey slide that suggests that Allstate should treat some of its claimants with "boxing gloves," rather than with its trademark "good hands." Collectively, the documents present a portrait of business strategies that are at odds with the insurer's carefully cultivated public image. Rather than simply rushing to the scene of an accident and doling out cash, Allstate deploys a variety of systems set in place by McKinsey to make sure it pays the minimum necessary -- and it plays hardball with those who seek more.

Berardinelli, 57, has provided BusinessWeek an exclusive copy of a draft of the book, as well as more than 200 typed pages of notes he took on the McKinsey slides. His tale illuminates the largely hidden role McKinsey has played as a key architect of claims practices in use across the insurance industry today. In addition to advising Allstate, McKinsey has also done work for Farmers Insurance Group, USAA, State Farm, and Fireman's Fund (AZ ). While many of the cost-reduction strategies McKinsey recommended at Allstate remain in place, some have been reined in following legal and regulatory challenges in several states.

EPIC WAR Berardinelli's book is certainly a partisan one, written to support "bad faith" lawsuits that he and other attorneys have filed against Allstate a

June 2, 2009 at 2:30 p.m.

Jed

Jed Said: Ed, They count on wearing down a certain percentage of their insured customers.

Do you have verifiable data/facts to back up this statement or is it just personal belief?

ciak, As far as the remark about wearing down a certain percentage begins to smell of conspiracy theories again. I know for a fact that is not an intention .

Please show what you have by the way of facts that proves Eds statement is not true. THX

Your personal "expeience" was not in question.

My question to you:-

Please show what you have by the way of "facts" that proves Ed's statement is not true. THX

I don't know how to make it clearer. One sentance, for the most part monosyllabic. Ed makes a statement, you claim it to be false.>>>

June 2, 2009 at 2:01 p.m.

CIAK

Blow Me Jed I aim to please . Perhaps it was in the way to which you phrased the question . My experience is the latest testament to what I interpret the question to be . Perhaps you might make it a little clearer what it is you are asking . I can say with out bias I wasn't delayed or treated with any pressure to wear me down . Your lack of understanding an obvious answer to your question with bravado of a prison ganger makes me wonder if you just like to stick a stick in someones eye just to get a reaction . I have had a very smooth experience up to this point . No pressure to wear me down direct honest conversations with the adjusters . In the end, A check for the full amount due . Is that clearer ? By the way the only credible thing you made reference to, about spell check I can take owner ship of . I can and do make allowances for the language barrier . I don't speak British very well.>>>

June 2, 2009 at 1:09 p.m.

Jed

Congratulations ciak, nothing less than expected. Two paragraphs of illiterate, inebriated, grammatically challenged dirge, drivel, verbal diaharrea, and if it were'nt for the recently discovered spellcheck, it would be typically indecipherable Complete avoidance of the question. Bravo. Your credence as a lobbyist for the Ins industry suffers with every spasmodic keystroke.>>>

June 1, 2009 at 7:49 p.m.

CIAK

The whole idea of conspiracy is to enable other people to take advantage of situations . I see it here in . I know what happens . I see people being taken advantage of because of it . It doesn't have to be this way .>>>

June 1, 2009 at 4:48 p.m.

CIAK

Conspiracy's ,from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion to the 'faking' of the 1969 moon landing, there have always been people willing to believe crackpot theories. Everyone in the public eye gets letters from 'the green-ink brigade' which are often also full of multiple explanation marks and underlinings. The writers find it is easier to blame a conspiracy for what has gone wrong with their lives than to face up to the unpalatable reality ......... I have my own experience . You can read about in this thread and a few more I've written . When the system bogged down ... a little pressure don't give up . Insurance is a pressure business . It is also a business where contracts are signed . Know your contract and understand the process. That is the basics that will get you what your contract says. Now there are a few screw ups . That being said when caught can and will be rectified .>>>

June 1, 2009 at 11:18 a.m.

Jed

Ed, They count on wearing down a certain percentage of their insured customers.

Do you have verifiable data/facts to back up this statement or is it just personal belief?

ciak, As far as the remark about wearing down a certain percentage begins to smell of conspiracy theories again. I know for a fact that is not an intention .

Please show what you have by the way of "facts" that proves Ed's statement is not true. THX>>>

May 31, 2009 at 5:55 p.m.

CIAK

Steve if you want to continue pursuing this ( I recommend you do ) I will gladly help you. I would prefer we don't do it on this forum directly , from what I have experienced it will only feed the bashi bazooks and may discourage you. I do think it would be a good idea to post results here . That being said you can reach me at my email . I will mention I have multiple inside contacts that cost nothing. My point again in this whole endeavor has been to educate about a process. If followed can and will make anyone with an once of brains and gumption a blessing ." Ed how is it going with your case ??? " You have not mentioned anything about this though you have apparently become more aware from where we were months ago. As far as the remark about wearing down a certain percentage begins to smell of conspiracy theories again. I know for a fact that is not an intention . I need to be very very clear here . That is not the intention and if the process is followed will not happen. I know Jed and others think because I can work from the inside I have special privileges . Another miss conception and borders on lies . I know my contract how to read it and the process . That is all it is.Knowing what I do is what makes the difference . Knowledge is power . BACON As I stated in my last post I have received the policy limits . That is not all that is potentially due me. There is approximately 30% more . I just got home and haven't had a chance to read my policy for these items. I have more to report. If anyone wants to know more email me. :) I am not associated with Dewy Cheatham and Howe . That may be left to some other insurance company I don't know who but not the one I work with>>>

May 31, 2009 at 1:37 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Steve,

They count on wearing down a certain percentage of their insured customers.

If you feel you really have been victimized, you can take your claim to the appraisal process. Not arbitration, but Appraisal.

If you are interested in knowing more about that, post a follow up question.

Also, I know an independent adjuster who will work the remainder of the claim for you for no fee unless he gets additional funds and then it is only 3% of the additional funds received if he gets mors money from you.

Let me know which route you want to pursue, but don't let the process wear you down and give up.

You are entitled to what you are covered for, so get a copy of the full policy out and read it carefully.

Ed>>>

May 31, 2009 at 11:33 a.m.

Jed

.................So the moral of the story is, if you work for, or are affilliated with an Ins Co then you stand a better chance of not being screwed. Maybe you can help out ol' Steve our illustrious webmaster there?>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

TAMKO - Banner Ad - Titan Product of the Year
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples