User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Conflicts between science and religion

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

As a believer the notion of God becomes a challenge for me . In the sense I struggle to see He exist . Because I can say the word "God", some might conclude that a singular essence or thing called "God" actually does exists. I could spend a life trying to figure out how to convince you what the abstract idea of "God" really is. The hypocrisy would be , fail to pay much attention to the problems of living as I believe in the world. I think this is what nonbelievers sees in Christians and or other faiths , Christians have a very convenient target on them at the moment unfortunately

November 10, 2009 at 8:44 p.m.

kage

CIAK Said: The question I have if I didnt beleive would be why does anyone want to convince me there is GOD . Why is it so important ???

Salvation thru Jesus Christ..period

November 10, 2009 at 3:31 p.m.

CIAK

The question I have if I didn't beleive would be " why does anyone want to convince me there is GOD . Why is it so important ???

November 9, 2009 at 7:17 a.m.

Jed

Here it is. It's about a half hour into the show. Act two, titled "Raw Sex" FYI. I used to be a die hard NPR fan, it was the closest thing to an international news station I could find. Over the years they have dropped any shred of honest news reporting and have morphed into the biggest pushers of the liberal agenda. Susequently I don't listen to their news broadcasts any more but do tune in to the various syndicated shows they air.

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1325

November 9, 2009 at 6:58 a.m.

Jed

There was a good segment on NPR's show "This American Life" yesterday. It was about an evangelist who has some creative ways of reaching out to non-believers. He said two things that got my attention. First, that jesus wanted disciples, not followers, and second, the main thing he hears from those he is tring to convert is not so much a problem with the concept or even with jesus, but with the so called "christians" the convert has to associate with. I can relate to that.

November 8, 2009 at 4:58 p.m.

kage

Everytime i wake up with breath..evidence Everytime i see good done for someone..evidence Everytime i dont crave the "bottle"..evidence Everytime i dont wake up in jail..evidence Everytime i see or read about someone who would be the last person to talk about Jesus,talking about Him..evidence Everytime i see athesists,mormons,JW's,islams,etc etc come to Jesus..evidence Everytime i look at Creation in general..evidence And just what He has done in my life..I believe..boy do I believe!That is Evidence.. B)

November 7, 2009 at 8:40 p.m.

CIAK

Is There a God? This article is very insightful:

By Marilyn Adamson

Proof of God . Just once wouldn't you love for someone to simply show you the evidence for God's existence? No arm-twisting. No statements of, "You just have to believe." Well, here is an attempt to candidly offer some of the reasons which suggest that God exists. http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html?gclid=CLu-kquq-p0CFSnKsgodITQWqQ

November 6, 2009 at 6:05 p.m.

CIAK

These might be enjoyable to look at . http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/scitech/2009/09/09/spectacular-new-images-hubble-telescope Just a teaser That's Mr Moron to the knaves :laugh: ;)

November 6, 2009 at 12:31 p.m.

CIAK

Prigz thanks for that . egg very thought provoking . I mentioned it is best to be moral and ethical . The more thought in this topic . I realize my mistake. In the definition . I can see now where it is like nailing fresh roof cement to a wall !!! Normal definitions refer to the rightness or wrongness of behavior, . Not everyone agrees on what is morally right or wrong, good or bad, ethical or unethical. Is it cultural ? Environmental ? To complicate the problem , as an example would be a culture that eats humans for food. " Cannibals . " The ethical moral thing to do would be to become a better Cannibal . Most if not all available definitions exist at abstract levels.

November 6, 2009 at 12:04 p.m.

egg

Nicely put. I go ahead and lick the stamp without assuming it's the last letter I will ever send, but that doesn't prove me equivocal. I can't tell you how many times I have gone through my 'attic' and 'basement' only to realize after all these years, "Aha! So that's what this thing is.." It takes time for things to sink in, some missing piece of information to illuminate the whole. Some scientific folks near the end of the industrial revolution proclaimed there were only a couple of dozen problems left to solve. This, of course, leads to the problem of differentiating between those things that are ephemeral and those things that are eternal. We expect ephemeral things to change. When we approach the eternal we expect otherwise. We are a valiant sort, despite our weaknesses, and cannot be faulted for impulses which appear to be innate and not of our making. Certainly appearances are ephemeral, if not essences, and when we get to the point of exploring essences we are at greatest risk and the most valiant, though, as in the case of witch hunts, or certain types of experimentation, also the most debased. The narrow gate is the narrow gate is the narrow gate, despite how broad the universe.

November 6, 2009 at 11:32 a.m.

pgriz

In science, it helps if, no matter how sure you are of what you think you know, you always keep in the back of your mind that you may have gotten it completely wrong. Same goes for religion. We humans have what is known as "perceptual bias" - we see what we expect to see, and we are often literally blind to what doesn't fit into our framework or reference. In fact, in just about any human system, be it science, religion, economics, government, politics, and even art, the human ability of self-deception and reliance on dogma should give all of us some serious pause. It is, unfortunately, truly difficult to keep a really open mind, but it would give humanity some breathing room if we spent more time questioning our own assumptions and certainties.

November 6, 2009 at 7:05 a.m.

CIAK

Fundamentalism cast a long dark , dark shadow over the minds of men...........Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, made the comment, which is Arabic for "God is great!" before the rampage Thursday that also left 30 people wounded . May those Americans lost in the line of fire " Rest in peace" .

November 6, 2009 at 6:11 a.m.

Pot Gregory

Well gentlemen one thing is for sure, you better find out down here, whether you are right or wrong,(saved or unsaved, as we often say it). Because when you open your eyes the 2nd time, you will know, for some, sadness beyond our wildest imagination, for the rest of us, we won't even give it a thought. And I feel, we are for shure, living in the eve of time.

November 5, 2009 at 6:03 p.m.

tinner666

Well, I ddi try to answer your OP question to the best of my ability. Not that I have any,but........ :laugh:

November 5, 2009 at 4:56 p.m.

egg

"... trying to have a little fun and still keep it serious..."

(To increase the odds of that I think someone needs to find and retrieve Miscreant.)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices