User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Conflicts between science and religion

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

After some investigation . I found what was the main stream world wide idea before the scientific revolution . It was authored by Aristotle called the Great Chain of Being . The argument for no God I don't know how long that concept has been in existent . May be some good atheist could shed some light on it . Give it a try and don't run away when and if challenged . It could be educational if kept on a level of information God vs atheist .

December 12, 2009 at 8:09 p.m.

kage

The essence of the Christian life: God is with us. All other religions essentially say, "Do." Do this, and maybe you will be more spiritual. . . . Do that, and maybe you will get closer to God.

But Christianity could be summed up in one word: Done. Why? Because God is with us. It is not us doing something through God; it is God living His life through us. It is Immanuel, God is with us.

December 10, 2009 at 3:11 p.m.

kage

egg Said: all people want to get to a place where they feel they fit happily in the universe.

Thats why Christ died on the cross,so we can get there...

December 10, 2009 at 9:39 a.m.

egg

For those with a general interest in human behavior and history, there is an interesting book that made the NY Times best-seller list about 17 years ago called A History of God, The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Karen Armstrong wrote it.

For those interested in religion but put off by factionalism, pretty much anything written by Huston Smith.

For those interested in the mythic (the opposite of 'fairy-tale') there is Joseph Campbell (Hero of a Thousand Faces) Robert Graves (King Jesus or The White Goddess) or John Dominic Crossan.

The mind is so large it can't be filled. But, and this is my take, though the mind can remain ceaselessly hungry (science), the spirit can find peace. Whether any one person makes it or not, all people want to get to a place where they feel they fit happily in the universe.

December 5, 2009 at 1:48 p.m.

kage

People will help us at times. People will encourage us at times. And God will work through people. But don't look to people for answers. Look to God. Because ultimately it will come down this factor: God is with you. That is something you can be sure of.

December 4, 2009 at 5:23 p.m.

CIAK

I meant that people that believe science is the answer are as the religious when it comes to blind obedience . Scientist say it is so and we believe it . Religious not just Christians includeing Judaism , Hindu , Buddhist etc. say God said it I believe it. Both the same coin IMO

December 4, 2009 at 4:59 p.m.

kage

He invented science,why wouldnt He answer,who do you think gives us the ability to do stuff...If He gives us a ? He's got an answer,but are we willing to seek it out...you know,persevere...

December 4, 2009 at 11:29 a.m.

CIAK

Can we agree that God doesn't answer questions of Science . I think he answer the questions of Morality.

December 1, 2009 at 12:16 p.m.

CIAK

Minn if your interested in light check this out . http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/Now-You-See-It-Now-You-Dont.html I got to thinking about Sci Fi . Long before the knowledge or technology exist the idea is put out there imagination .

December 1, 2009 at 12:02 a.m.

egg

Hi Dennis. I agree being born is quite a bit like that.

As to the other point, I don't have a problem with 'trying to define' something that is not yet understood because that is one of the most powerful mechanisms we all use to understand it. I even forgive those who mistakenly extend a definition beyond its known application, up to a point, although I can't define exactly what point, because I assume it's part of the same process. Unless someone is using it for what I personally feel is inappropriate social leverage it doesn't bother me. Some discussions might only break down over whether 'reflection' or 'mirage' is the better word. Science can help with that, has helped with that, but you know science is s-l-o-w and many times even proof itself can't take me where I know I need to go. This is where words melt. I am sure there is ultimately an explanation for anything, but I am also certain that 'knowing' and 'understanding' exist on many different levels. Do you think they'll find the Higgs bosun? I've been watching that. And no, I don't understand quantum physics. I did have a moment of embarrassment years ago when it was pointed out that I was misusing the expression "quantum leap."

November 30, 2009 at 7:37 p.m.

kage

CIAK Said: It would sure upset the biblical perspective if a dog which communicates with barking started speaking English when dreaming .. :woohoo: :woohoo: I imagine and dream stuff I dont know where it comes from . Interesting I must admit .

The dog doesnt have that cabability,its just like we cant fly but we dream it,why?...i would say because its something we've acknowleged...thru TV or whatever..maybe when the dog is dreaming..who knows maybe he's talkin.. :blink:

November 30, 2009 at 7:24 p.m.

CIAK

Orthodox definitions will suffice in what imagination is . As meant in context of topic .... Oxford dictionary .... im·ag·i·na·tion / iˌmajəˈnāshən/ • n. the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses.

Not withstanding the unorthodox.. Biblical..not unheard of and not meant in context of topic imagination Used by AV for ‘thinking’ (REB, NRSV; ‘arguments’, NJB) at Rom. 1: 21. Also at 2 Cor. 10: 4–5, where NRSV has ‘arguments’, REB ‘sophistries’, NJB ‘presumptive notion’. These translations convey the force of the Greek noun, which is of an evil intention .

It would sure upset the biblical perspective if a dog which communicates with barking started speaking English when dreaming .. :woohoo: :woohoo: I imagine and dream stuff I don't know where it comes from . Interesting I must admit .

November 30, 2009 at 7:00 p.m.

dennis

"That's a solid line of reasoning but you still can't run a big enough ring around to completely escape the numinous or at the very least a strong suspicion of it. There's magic in the universal solvent. Ice, water, vapor is a kind of holy Trinity to which all life owes its allegiance and existence. Any time you entertain the notion of levels of meaning you run up against the need to distinguish between that which is empty and that which is sacred."

That sounds like trying to put a definition/name (god) to something that is not understood. If someone tells you they understand quantum physics, you can be certain they don't.

" Kind of like getting a sleeve caught in a wringer."

Like being born. :)

November 30, 2009 at 6:29 p.m.

kage

Dreaming i believe comes from your knowlege as well,usually you'll have a dream about whatever,like something thats going on in your life right now or 10yrs ago,but usually its something that you have acknowleged in your waking hrs. and then you mix that dream with imagination which came from something else that you have acknowleged...like you say about a dog dreaming,have ya ever noticed they are either barking,running or something like that...something they do when there awake,something they've acknowleged...

November 30, 2009 at 5:20 p.m.

CIAK

Imagination, IMO is not just the stirring remixing of your knowledge . Combining all of your knowledge , experiences to create what you have identified as imagination . Did I understand you correctly . Have you ever watched your dog or a dog dream (imagine) ? I believe most animals do this . They have much less smaller brains , cortex than we do. Dreaming does not concern itself with the present or knowledge .

November 30, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

kage

Ok,if you have all the imagination in the world and no knowlege,it will account for nuthin,but you put your knowlege with that imagination...you end up with ppl. walkin on the moon,and thats why i say knowlege is more important...IMHO

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad