User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Conflicts between science and religion

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

egg

"Because the father of lies has blinded ya.."

I believe you mean no harm, rather intend to good, but there are a couple of small things that need to be pointed out. 'ya' equals 'you.' Literally. 'Father of lies' equals the devil, satan. Literally. Therefore your sentence, stripped of its cozy informality literally reads, 'You, Dennis, are under the spell of the Devil.'

Either you need to refresh your memory or learn a little about history.

I strongly urge you to cleave to your faith, from which you will continue to benefit but immediately abandon this other invasive pursuit which brings nothing but discredit and misery. When you accuse someone of being under the spell of the devil you are playing with fire. You are not authorized to be the instrument of fire. So don't go there.

November 14, 2009 at 7:16 p.m.

kage

dennis Said: Why is it that I have no use or need for any god?

Because the father of lies has blinded ya..

November 14, 2009 at 7:14 p.m.

kage

"Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom."

Its true if ya die living this kinda lifestyle you will not inherit the Kingdom,this is why Jesus died on the cross for us...because No one can live up to Gods standards but thru Christ we can..

November 14, 2009 at 6:31 p.m.

dennis

Why is it that I have no use or need for any god?

And why do roofing products keep changing, but the basics behind proper installation do not?

November 14, 2009 at 5:14 p.m.

CIAK

OK Ok now who isn't or hasn't been guilty of any of those charges . The particular brand of religion tells ( you ) how to deal with your conscious . That small voice is or has been in each one of us . If we want to get into just a discussion of religion . The Koran says if you commit jihad it is the highest of what God wants you to do . You will go to heaven . Buddha says you are reincarnated and on on it goes ........ each saying it has the right to GOD blessing . Perhaps CS Lewis would be a good start . Science on the other hand tries to figure out how things work and how to make a better tomorrow through science . I am of the belief religion has the same roll and if practiced correctly adds to knowledge not ignorance . That is in an ideal world that doesn't exsist for either side.

November 14, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

copperman

Tinner I wanted to but my lovely bride needed to get home :(

Kage. There is no question we all have inherited sin from Adam and fall short of the glory of God.For most people they don't know what sin really is. The mosaic Law gives us clues as how God views things...What is acceptable and what is not. Many try to cloud the line with free thinking. There are however clear lines drawn on several fronts that cannot be crossed. These don't have to do with human weakness which we all struggle with but rather how God wants us to worship him. Idols,False Gods,Pagan celebrations,Immorality,Homosexuality and the sanctity of blood to name just a few.Acts 15:For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to YOU, except these necessary things, 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!” Isiah 42:8 “I am Jehovah. That is my name; and to no one else shall I give my own glory, neither my praise to graven images. 1Cor.6:9 What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom.

November 14, 2009 at 2:44 p.m.

kage

copperman Said: Kage said; But that is a false gospel. Yes, God loves us. Yes, God receives any person who comes to Him. But He asks us to repent. He asks us to turn from our sins. What is sin?

What Is Sin - The Big Question We live in a culture where the concept of sin has become entangled in legalistic arguments over right and wrong. When many of us consider "What is sin?" we think of violations of the Ten Commandments. Even then, we tend to think of murder and adultery as "major" sins compared with lying, cursing, or idolatry.

The truth is that sin, as defined in the original translations of the Bible, means "to miss the mark." The mark, in this case, is the standard of perfection established by God and evidenced by Jesus. Viewed in that light, it is clear that we are all sinners.

The Apostle Paul says in Romans 3:23: "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

In light of this, it does no good to compare ourselves to others. We cannot escape our failure to be righteous in our own strength. This is by God's design, because only when we understand our weakness will we consider relying on the atoning sacrifice of Jesus.

What Is Sin - A Biblical Perspective Sin is mentioned hundreds of times in the Bible, starting with the "original" sin when Adam and Eve ate of the tree of knowledge. Often it seems as if sin is simply the violation of any of God's laws, including the Ten Commandments.

Paul, however, puts this in perspective in Romans 3:20, when he says, "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in His sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin."

God wanted us to recognize our sins. Even those who have not murdered or committed adultery will find themselves convicted of lying, or of worshipping false idols like wealth or power ahead of God.

Tragically, sin in any amount will distance us from God.

"Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor His ear too dull to hear," says Isaiah 59: 1-2. "But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear."

We must resist the temptation to act as if we are righteous, especially by leaning on our good works.

"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives" (1 John 1:8-10).

What Is Sin - A Call to Repentence The good news in all of this is that, once we recognize ourselves as sinners, we need only to repent and embrace Jesus to be forgiven. Jesus can forgive us because he died and rose again three days later in victory over sin and death.

The Apostle Paul refers to this process of recognizing sin and being responsible for it as "godly sorrow."

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death," Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 7:10-11. "See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter."

November 14, 2009 at 2:20 p.m.

tinner666

Hi copperman. Why didn't you stop to say hello in Nags Head area?

November 14, 2009 at 2:12 p.m.

tinner666

kage Said: Its too bad 99% dont do that...believer or non..

Why, thanks Kage.

November 14, 2009 at 2:07 p.m.

copperman

Kage said; But that is a false gospel. Yes, God loves us. Yes, God receives any person who comes to Him. But He asks us to repent. He asks us to turn from our sins. What is sin?

November 14, 2009 at 2:05 p.m.

tinner666

I learned about the 666 conatation much later. I was trying to reg tinner years ago. Site finally came up with an unused one. :laugh: :laugh: No devil worshipper here. I don't believe in him either. :laugh:

But......... There might be somethng out there somewhere! :ohmy:

November 14, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.

CIAK

tinner B) ;) B)I'm surprised the 666 hasn't raised a few eyebrows :laugh: As flawed humans, believer and or non we are the sum total of our experiences. Bothered by our past . If we don't learn how to deal with it our life becomes just an extension of our past . Christians make the claim that Christ removes the past . I believe that does happen . Not being naive I understand it is a work in progress . With out a constant vigilance we fall back to the traumas of our past and embrace the evil if we don't face our lives calmly properly . This is alot of the salvation as I understand it now of Jesus .

November 14, 2009 at 11:55 a.m.

kage

Its too bad 99% dont do that...believer or non..

November 14, 2009 at 11:28 a.m.

tinner666

Ciak. We true non believers don't have to point fingers. Why would we. We know that each blip in our lives can be traced to an earlier incident. or decision. We're responsible for our own endeavors, mistakes, etc. No issues, no debates. What else is there? No need to defend the ability to accept responsibility for our failings, or sucesses. :)

November 14, 2009 at 9:59 a.m.

kage

I got nothing against science,but to put it before God who created it is...i dunno :S I do encourage the use of science and technology for the good of humanity and the environment.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSRCA - Banner - Western Roofing Expo 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad