User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Price per Square

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

msshottet

Does anyone know What the going Price is for the following roofs in South Florida now. (Palm Beach,Broward, and Miami Dade Counties)

1. 3 tab Shingle 2. 40yr shingle 3. Tile 4. Hot Mop 5. Torched Down 6. Metal etc >>>

July 29, 2009 at 7:10 a.m.

pgriz

Thanks, Lanny, but we're not selling. As Eric (EGG) said in an earlier post, we try to find a good fit between what we can do and what the customer wants. A roof is a partnership. We try to find good partners, and be good partners. As the owner, I try to visit each job site at least several times to ensure that we understood the customer's expectations, and that we deliver (or exceed) these expectations. Sometimes, it's the little things. The guys who smoke pick up their butts (no flicking behind the hedge). We try not to wear out the grass in spots by walking on it until it's a foot-path. We pick out the stripping debris out of their rose bushes. When we "invade" someone's property and space, we have to be respectful of the imposition we're creating with noise, mess, and general discomfort. The "client experience" obviously doesn't stop with the signing of the contract. We've picked up customers who watched us do someone else's roof. I've heard more than once, "I almost don't care what you put on my roof, but I want those guys doing it".>>>

July 24, 2009 at 4:46 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

I heard that from Richard Kaller many times when he used to do the free seminars for Certainteed using his C.E.S. Contractors Educational Series tapes and material and also when he first started pushing CCN.

It made sense then and it still makes sense now.

Ed>>>

July 24, 2009 at 8:51 a.m.

hatrick

The industries salesman pointed me in a very smart direction quite a few years ago, when they explained to me that I could do 100 jobs at (numbers made up for comparison) 200 dollars a square with my cost being say 150 per square. I have to warrenty 100 jobs and collect from 100 jobs and deal with 100 customers. And earn 50 per square. If each job averaged 15 square, I would earn 75,000. Or I could charge 250 per square get rejected by 50 more people than last year and only sell 50 jobs. But I would be earning 100 per square times 50 jobs times the average of 15 square per job and I would earn the same 75,000. Now some people will tell you won't sell any at the inflated price. But I have sold more than 50, closer to 75 with the same basic leads on average. When I started I wanted to do every roof in the region and squash every other roofer right out of existence. I nearly did. But I also waurrenteed tons of roofs and didn't make a ton of money. I don't know about you, But I would rather charge what i want and do fewer roofs, do them better because you have more control and make more money.>>>

July 23, 2009 at 8:25 p.m.

Old School

That is a simple way of saying what we have already said. Very good. Just remember that people will buy what they want often times before they will buy what they need. Find out what they want (ask) and then supply it. It works!>>>

July 23, 2009 at 4:23 p.m.

clublaugh

msshottet:

Five years ago I was the same age as you are and in the same position, just starting my company, having roofed since I was 15. I came on this forum (in it's previous version), asked the same questions and got basically the same response. I agree with most here that it is a mistake to base your pricing on some "going rate" but I think you absolutely need to have an idea of where average pricing is at in order to understand how you relate to competitors. I figured that out by asking contractors what they were currently paying etc. I started out being competitive but we are now 20-40% ABOVE what would be the going rate. Instead of trying to work to meet someone else's price, you need to set your price to the standard of work YOU do AND be able to sell people on why you are worth that price.>>>

July 22, 2009 at 6:53 p.m.

Old School

msshottet, What all the other guys said about the "going" rate. One of the best ways I know to find out is to ask some people for copies of their other estimates. If it is written down and you are figuring the same job, you will know exactly what your "competition" is charging. If you ask, you will be surprized what people will do. It is also a great time to educate you clients; find out what they really want and how much they are willing to pay. The easiest way to get whatever you want....just Ask until.....you get it!>>>

July 21, 2009 at 11:10 a.m.

jcagle9595

The bad thing about "going rates" is that it is usually set by the biggest lowballer in town. It also usually more applies to residential than commercial work. Commercial pricing on new construction would be better described as "average rate".

I've never known a "going rate" that didn't need another 15%-20% on it to make a decent legitimate profit.>>>

July 21, 2009 at 11:03 a.m.

msshottet

GKRFG Said: You guys are cracking me up! :woohoo:

I wish Ms Hot Shot would come back on and enlighten us about her roofing experience. The going rate is a waste of time. It is determined by those who have no idea what to charge and are following the herd. The going rate will not enable you to run a legal business or to make a decent living for yourself or your workers. The going rate is used by those who dont know how to sell their skills and capabilities. The going rate is used by the average roofer. The average roofer is always complaining that they are not making any money. The average roofer does not stay in business for too long.

Well you got your wish!!!! Like I said befor I am 26 years old and I have been doing roofing since I was 11. I am just starting out so I guess I am the average roofer, I bet you use to be the average roofer at one point and time too, and then as you went along you got more and more experience and you conversed with many people unitl you got to be the god of a roofer you are today. You probably asked some questions like me to before any way I guess I need to ask more questions like the diffrent tecqniques people use to sell their skills and capabilities.>>>

July 21, 2009 at 10:57 a.m.

msshottet

Spudder Said: I always quoted high and then asked the customer what they wanted to pay When I was in Broward county back in 1970 the so called going rate on tear off and replace 3 tab Shingles was 150 and up heavy weights were 200 & up BUR was 200 per sq off and on, modified just was coming in to play and that start at 350 off and on. Large commercial jobs say 2000 sq & more the bur would be 300 plus insulation. I would quote a 3 tab reroof for 200 per sq and go from there when I moved up to St lucie I quoted the same way and people laughed at me they were paying 90 per sq for a 3 tab reroof. You have forget about competition and go out and sell your product forget about the going rate. The customer will tell you what they want to pay. It will be up to the sales person to get those numbers, I used to go thru my pitch and the customer would say wow that sounds like an expensive system, I would counter by saying expensive compared to what, it all about presenting you pitch and getting the customer to want to buy from you everybody is out there selling when you get that customer wanting to buy then you have a sale.

Thanks for the ood advice this sounds 100% better than all the other rude remarks!!>>>

July 21, 2009 at 10:48 a.m.

msshottet

roofrite Said: Furthermore you need to be asking your questions on the DIY forums !

By the way I am also new to this forum! and its smart as*** like you that dont give people the time of day because you must think that you are better than ever one that cause them not to know alot of things and cause the industry to become the way it is. If roofers will just help one anothe and talk to each other and share their opinions then the industry will be a lot better. Before I became a liscensed roofer I was a permit runner and I use to have men three times older than me asking for my help to fill out permit applications, and to me that was tedious but t I still helped them and I never be littled them or told them that is a stupid question!!! I help anyone out if I can>>>

July 21, 2009 at 10:29 a.m.

msshottet

roofrite Said: This posting is ridiculous! Yet another example of why the industry and every trade industry is going down the tubes ! I carried my first bundle of shingles when I was 12 years old and Im 53 now.

Msshottet I wouldnt give you the time of day !

roofrcite you dont have to give me the time of day!!!! If you dont want to answer then you dont have to answer. I am asking the prices because i am intrested in knowning what everyone else is charging because i like to be competitive with my prices, its always good to know when he rates are going up an down, some people do still charge a flat right per sq.

ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT MAKE PEOPLE SCARED TO ASK CERTAIN QUESTIONS ON THESE FORUMS I've learned that any questions is a good question even if it sounds stupid or tedious. if it does to you then dont answer it and move on thats what these forum are for. Dont be little anyone and make them not want to ask certain questions. I've been doing roofing since I was 11 and now I am 26 and a certified roofing contractor and if I have any questions about anything weather it sound dumb or not i am going to ask.. THAT'S WHAT MAKES ME who i am today :) HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!>>>

July 21, 2009 at 10:09 a.m.

pgriz

Thank you, Mike. Sometimes one gets inspired and hits the groove.

Eric, totally agree. In the best of all possible worlds, you and your customer get exactly what you wanted from the transaction. It's not only or just about the money. We often seem to forget that.

Terry, one of the benefits of RCS, is that one gets to learn from the masters. We've got a few on this board. Some of the best were/are Tom Hay and Darryl. I miss their insights here. But one of the key ones they passed on from the point of selling, is that your customer shouldn't be convinced... You have to make them want what you have. What reason would anyone have to "desire" shingles? None, unless you have a really weird fetish. But we desire... a look, a feel, a sense of security, the confidence of a job well done... And those are not about shingles or 4D nails, or synthetic underlayment or the number of years you were in business, or how pretty your truck looks. Think about what would cause someone to "desire" your services. That's the starting point.

To make this really personal (and most buying decisions end up being personal), think about what you would do if you were to meet a really attractive person and you want them to get interested in you. Do you tell them that they should be interested in you because of your CV or your bank account or how you dress? Probably not - you'd need to catch their attention, flirt a little to get a sense whether this is worth pursuing, do some small talk, talk to them about what they are interested in... Heck, you probably know all the moves. But we don't apply what we know works in our work lives. That's what I'm suggesting we spend more time thinking about and doing.>>>

July 21, 2009 at 9:21 a.m.

Mike H

That was very good Paul. You're on a roll lately.>>>

July 21, 2009 at 9:11 a.m.

Terry D

No, not the media. I believe it is the current economic condtions across the nation (unemployment rates, pay cuts, rising cost of utilities) that have people pinching that penny much more than before.

I find myself going to the grocery store and comparing prices more than I ever did. I have been hit hard by the rising costs. My husband has been out of work since last August due to bypass surgery and although he has been released to go back to work, he is having an incredibly hard time getting a foot in any door.

Many of our regular customers have been asking for a "loyalty" discount. Quite a few have shared with us the estimates they have gotten from other places asking if we could match it because they know our reputation for quality work but want the cheaper price. Unfortunately, some of these other places cannot be paying insurance and taxes and still breaking even. We have people calling for estimates claiming that their roof was damaged by a storm when it is clear that it is falling apart due to age. They are looking for anything that will get some help from their insurance. Yes, we have been asked to expand on the truth but refuse to do it. I think that people are afraid to spend unless it is an absolute emergency and they have no choice.

We are fortunate that we have work trickling in and I do mean it is a slow trickle. Just enough to keep our 5 best guys working for most of the week. Last year at this time, we had a backlog through October. Right now, I have enough work to keep 5 guys busy for 7 or 8 days. I am a perpetual optimist, I know that something will come in by the end of the week to keep them going through the next week.>>>

July 21, 2009 at 8:58 a.m.

egg

Paul, I enjoyed the slant of the last post. My thinking has evolved over the last four decades into something similar. What I would like to add is that it seems to me the key to long-term success is matching our story to their story. Basically, every roof project is a partnership. We want to make what we are entitled to and they want to receive what they are entitled to. We have to find out what they are willing to spend and what they want to buy. Then we have to decide if we can afford to provide it. They have to decide who they want on their property and what they want and need and how much risk they are willing to take. Then they have to decide if they can afford us. If we get a match, we're in business. In the best of worlds, we end up (customers and contractors) having the good fortune of being able to brag about each other.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad