User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Price per Square

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

So aha Terry are you saying it's the media ?????? :laugh: :laugh: ;) B)>>>

July 21, 2009 at 8:16 a.m.

Terry D

WOW is Grey Goose vodka really the best? Someone left a bottle at my house and I liked the bottle so I kept it.

Long morning. No, that is not all I got out of your post Pgriz. Now if we can only convince the customers to pay more because we are the best and have been around for over a century. It seems that was the case just a few short years ago but now with the economy staggering as it is, many folks are opting for repairs trying to make that roof stretch just a few more years hoping that things will get better.>>>

July 21, 2009 at 7:04 a.m.

pgriz

"Price" is an entirely subjective property. Unless you are an oenophile, you will buy wine according to 1) price, 2) the pretty label, 3) the shape of the bottle. Unless you know clothing, you will assume that "more expensive" equals "better". Unless you know your gems, the $6,500 diamond ring is more "valuable" than the $650 diamond ring. And so on. Don't deny it. If your daughter brought home a guy that makes "$650,000 a year", you'd probably be more impressed than if the guy was making "$16,000" per year, everything else being equal.

When we don't know the underlying value, we usually rely on price to guide us. So a bottle of vodka priced at $650 is "obviously" better than the one priced at "$16". Yet, if you had a blind test, chances are 50-50 that you'd pick the cheaper version as the best. So why do people spend $650 instead of $16? Ah, now we get into the mental games that people play. Because they want to impress their friends (I got so much money, I can drop $650 and not blink), or they think that they are getting the best because the bartender told them that, or they read somewhere that Grey Goose is absolutely the best vodka money can buy, etc., etc., etc.

The point is that without personal knowledge, people substitute a good story for experience. Hence, you can be persuaded that the $7,200 suit is worth it because it is impeccably cut by trained gnomes from Italy, made of material that will feel like a lover's touch, and make you look 25 years younger and 50 pounds lighter. All this so that you can put some fabric between your bits and the curious world.

Scammers have figured out a long time ago that people buy the story, not the product. Sure, we're supposed to be fully informed about our purchasing decisions, but let's face it, there aren't enough hours in anyone's life to be fully informed about all the transactions we make. So we rely on proxies to help us decide whether something is worth it. These proxies can be advertising copy, referrals from friends, the salesman/woman's spiel, or the glitter wrap. Once you understand that you're selling a story, you're starting on the way to effectively market.

Now, is it "honest"? Ask youself that question when you buy your wife a bottle of perfume priced at $2,000 per ounce. All that product is, is an alcohol extract of various floral essences and light oils. The raw material cost is probably under $2. The packaging, distribution and marketing probably add another $20-50. The rest... is the margin.

So if you want to sell at a higher price, start thinking about who your customer actually is, and what they really want. They are not buying shingles. They are not even buying a roof. They are buying (depending on the customer) the look, or the security, or the value, or... And it is up to the company doing the selling to decide which element to emphasize, and how to wrap up the whole experience to ensure that the "customer experience" delivers.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:57 p.m.

quality roof

luckly business not bad here>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:36 p.m.

quality roof

how about the chicago area>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:34 p.m.

quality roof

thanks try to do all typs but the market is mostly asphalt shingles>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:27 p.m.

quality roof

my name is bobby lic Fl roofing contractor>>>

July 20, 2009 at 7:22 p.m.

quality roof

new to the forum whats going on>>>

July 20, 2009 at 6:58 p.m.

roofrite

No it's cool. I am satisfied with your answer. I often wish I had gone to law school. It's one of those things you look back on your life and say "damn I should have pursued that dream or ambition or interest or whatever you want to call it.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 6:53 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Thats cool then.

Did you get enough of an answer, or do you feel another topic needs to get started?

Ed>>>

July 20, 2009 at 6:52 p.m.

roofrite

I should have started a new topic to quiz you on it. I simply wanted to know if you had to go to court a lot to get paid based on the number of posts you make on the legal issues. It did make me a tad bit curious as to whether or not it was a pattern for you. I will stay on topic in the future. It is not my intent to initiate conflict for the sake of conflict I assure you.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 6:12 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

2 court cases in the past 11 years.

But, if I am paying an attorney to represent my interests, I want to know how other issues may serve for any additional legal avenues to explore and further my chances of winning on the merits of the case, rather than rely on a missed opportunity for relaying my position.

It may seem as if a lot of posts I make have a legal view-point to them, but that is because I studied the little legal intricacies in depth and enjoy the readings that correspond to various legal aspects.

Also, the One case that I do have going on currently, is now at the 2 year and 10 month period of time since commencing, which may make it seem as if I am in an ongoing battle with customers,but that is the rare event.

So from my own trials and tribulations, I have chosen to share the myriad of experiences that come with the territory, so that others could benefit from the experience, without having to be party to it.

I would like to ask though, how my comment about being able to overcome a price difference of just 10% not seeming that difficult, triggered your concern for my past and present potential legal issues?

Was there some point you were trying to surreptitiously make by bringing attention to the innuendo of continuing legal battles, which in reality are just 2 isolated and very far spread apart incidents?

Ed>>>

July 20, 2009 at 5:43 p.m.

roofrite

Ed I am curious, given that many of your posts are of a legalistic nature. Do you have to go to court often to get paid on your jobs?>>>

July 20, 2009 at 4:45 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

A difference of only 10% is relatively easy to beat when you are the higher one, if you have the professionalism to prove that you are offering more and better services and have been around for a longer period of time.

But, I do agree, when the differences get to be 30% and 40%, things are much tougher.

Ed>>>

July 20, 2009 at 2:21 p.m.

roofrite

P.S. I am keenly aware that retail prices vary vastly form region to region. The numbers I selected are merely intended to represent 'X' and 'Y' values.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif