User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

first day on job

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

copperman

Have not been to the job all last week. between snow storms and illness I lost the week. Will do a copper roof on that porch roof Monday. I hope to beat the next storm coming in Monday afternoon. I should be able to do that it's only a square. 9 panels 9'6" ft.long. I also have a small rubber roof on a balcony to get done 5X8 with two post. Only show a deck on the prints but builder wants a roof on it with a teak deck over it. I made up 100 more snow guards for the rest of the slate roof. Had my son help me. He likes working with the machines and soldering iron. Going to spend the rest of the week in Ohio with grand kids. I promised to make them a snowman/Thomas the train. Grandson said I can't do it because they don't have blue snow. :ohmy: So I guess I'll have to pull a few tricks out of the bag. you can see the two ares I'm going to do in this shot.

February 10, 2010 at 7:07 a.m.

Old School

Copper, You should try my brothers system. I don't think you would want to go back!

February 9, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

copperman

Yes they are talking 18 to 24 inches on top of the 12 inches we already got. I did not go there this week yet. I will wait till the snow stops falling and them go clean it off.

February 9, 2010 at 1:56 p.m.

SL8R

I like to install another nut and bolt on each circle. It doesn't take much time to drill out one of the holes and it adds alot of strength to the system. Nice looking job copperman, unfortunatly the snow tomorrow is going to set thing back further.

February 9, 2010 at 1:26 p.m.

copperman

That old school is an example of poor workmanship not bracket failure. I've installed Berger Brother brackets all my life and never had one do that. Most likely the guy did not tighten the bolt enough, in fact upon looking at the picture the bolt is backwards. You can't get them tight with a screw driver you have to use a wrench on the nut and the way he did them you can't. Also bracket spacing will cause this as guys try to go to far apart. I never go more then 24 inches apart. One more thing to consider is snow slide. You have to hang the gutter low enough to prevent it from becoming a snow guard.These brackets cost $4.50 for the shank and $5.00 for the circle.

February 9, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.

Old School

Boy Dennis, that if "fugly"

Vaa. My brothers system is actually two different ones. For a "Bracket" like that, he has a cast bracket that is much stronger than the circle and shank, and then he attaches that to a flat stainless steel bar that is bolted to the deck of the roof. (You bend the bar to the pitch of the roof so that it hangs vertically and the bracket bolts to it) His other system uses a threaded rod and two nuts that attach to a stainless steel hanger bar that attaches inside the gutter. He has both copper and stainless steel rods that hang the gutter. Much more flexible and easier to work with.

February 9, 2010 at 8:35 a.m.

dennis

Mike, this is what happens under heavy ice build-up, or snow slides and hits those gutters. There is a small "nub" keeping the half circle bracket in place to the shank that shears off and the gutter drops. The half circle also bends outward. Not my install.

[IMG]http://www.roofingcontractorreview.com/gallery/d/1445-1/bent_half_round.jpg[/IMG]

February 8, 2010 at 8:58 p.m.

Old School

Hey, my brothers' is a much better system. What can I say!

February 7, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.

Old School

Vaa, you bolt the gutter hanger to the "shank" and then you can cut off the part that you don't need. My brother's system from Classic gutters uses a threaded rod that hangs down the sme way. It is infinetly adjustable, and has a stainless steel nut above and below to lock the bracket into place. They both work!

February 6, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.

Old School

That chimney doesn't look so bad up close. I believe that the stome masons are going to have a bunch of snow crashing down on their plastic enclosure about now. You guys are getting blasted with the snow. It is funny this year in that here in SW Michigan, the snow is always going around us. North, South East and West and we are getting very little. How does that work?

February 6, 2010 at 6:16 a.m.

copperman

The snow is here and still going strong This chimney is coming down and made larger. I will have to patch in and flash This is the other side of the roof. You can see the tent the masons made. The whole front and gable are stone. It will be some time before I can do this side.

February 5, 2010 at 4:49 p.m.

copperman

The other question Was do the caps get in the way ...Yes sometimes. I just pop them off with the point of my slate hammer.

February 5, 2010 at 4:37 p.m.

copperman

That chimney in the first pic is being torn down and made two feet bigger to add another flue. I have to remove all the slate around it and put back when the masons are done. I have to make all the copper counter flashing's also. That job was just added. The wood strip is western red cedar. It could be pine and it would not rot because no water is getting to it(IT was roofed correctly :P ). It is the angle of the picture that makes the head lap look short. I saw that when I posted the pic and thats the first thing I checked when I got to the job today. They are berger brother #12 copper shanks. It gets 6 inch copper half round gutter. I would love to use classic gutter but the shipping and cost kills the bid every time. My supplier is talking about stocking it and I'm pushing for it. I like the round end caps. Mike we use those brackets so you can see the crown molding and roof mounted brackets are stronger. Heres what I did in two days. I took all the planks off because of the big snow coming. I make these snow guards out of scrap. They work good and are cheap. Make the homeowner happy.

February 5, 2010 at 4:31 p.m.

clublaugh

nice job

Mike we use those hangers where there is no fascia board, or if it is angled or covered by trim. It's really simple- you just screw your circle bracket through which ever hole in the shank gives you the correct height. Makes it easy to adjust the level if necessary and you can unscrew them to replace the gutter.

February 5, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.

Jed

I don't see the batten touching the copper.....unless it is tucked underneath it. Where the hell is El Cid these days anyway?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting Group - Banner Ad - COO On Demand
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad