User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

first day on job

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

copperman

I started a slate job today. For some reason the picture I took of the completed work of the day didn't save to my camera so I'll post that latter. I did about 2 square yesterday by myself. 12X24 PA slate. The slate on the old part are Spanish black and these are not available because the quarry they came from is closed. Thats probably a good thing as the slate have a ore deposit that rust through. I'll take a pic of one to show you today. Big Nor-Easter is coming latter today and we are expected to get over a foot of snow so I'll have to button it up today and remove all the planks off the roof.

July 6, 2010 at 7:09 a.m.

Jed

Nice job Copper Man, all that work'll be around long after we are gone..

July 3, 2010 at 7:47 p.m.

copperman

No it's only 2 inches. Standard for half round gutter.

July 3, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.

ottawa_roofer

Correct me if i'm wrong, that's a huge overhang you got going on.. On Pic 1-and 2.

June 30, 2010 at 6:00 a.m.

copperman

I made it. I saw an antique one once and one rainy day made a couple of them for 5 and 6 inch 1/2 round gutter. They are the best tool to have if you do copper 1/2 round especially for miters to hold them straight. I had a picture of the old tool that cinches the spring clip but for some reason I lost it. It's called a parrot nose pliers made by Berger brothers many years ago.

June 30, 2010 at 4:37 a.m.

SL8R

I like your soldering clamp, never have seen that before. Is it something you made or an antique. Nice work by the way.

June 29, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.

copperman

Went back to finish the gutters on that slate job. Painters finally got the face boards painted so I could finish Mike now you can see how it all goes together

May 30, 2010 at 11:19 a.m.

jcagle9595

Gorgeous work, CM. Do you ever have to install braces on the pipes to keep them from moving with the snow and tearing up the roof??

May 30, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.

wywoody

That makes sense to me CM. From the pictures, it looked to be one piece and had me stumped.

May 30, 2010 at 8:46 a.m.

Old School

Very nice and very fun!

May 29, 2010 at 9:03 p.m.

copperman

That info is top secrete! B) Just kidding. I use a ridged role vent attached with 3 inch copper nails. Then I nail a copper lock strip on top of the vent with a 1 inch over hang of the vent edge. Then I make up the two pieces with a double folded standing seam at the peak. Solid as a rock.

May 29, 2010 at 8:54 p.m.

wywoody

Looks good CM. How's that ridge metal attached?

May 29, 2010 at 8:41 p.m.

copperman

Finally was able to finish the slate work. Got a copper roof to do yet Cut all the valleys using just my slate hammer Got copper vent ridge. h nice view of the lower end of the pond. Did the whole job by myself. No helper except the lull which I was able to use.

May 7, 2010 at 6:24 a.m.

copperman

Finally I was able to go back and finish up this job. The masons are the slowest I've ever seen. Not bad for one days work by myself.

March 12, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.

tinner666

Was just curious. 1/16" on each side gives 1/8". In cold weather, I fudge to get nearer 1/4". Averages 3/16". Hot weather, much less. Just curious.

March 12, 2010 at 11:08 a.m.

copperman

1/4 inch!??????? Copper and common sense says 1/16. and it's there ____/________ The second I pop the clamps they relax into position. 35 years and it's never been an issue yet. I'll keep doing it my way B)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS Roof Hub - Banner Ad - Spring 2024
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif