User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

first day on job

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tinner666

I'm just curious how you get and keep the 1/4" spacing between the panels with clamps on them. :)

March 12, 2010 at 1:35 a.m.

egg

I guess if the cleats bind people start cussing. (very nice)

March 10, 2010 at 6:54 p.m.

Old School

Kinda late now huh?

March 10, 2010 at 5:24 a.m.

copperman

I pay about $5.40 square ft/1 lbs. for new. I buy it in 1000lbs. rolls. The scrap yard pays as of the other day $2.90 a pound for old and $3.10 for brite and shinny. I would of thought you could of sold those nails on craigs list for 2 or 3 times what the scrap yard gave you.

March 9, 2010 at 6:02 p.m.

Old School

I can see your cleats on the left side of the panels in that picture. Looks good!

March 8, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.

copperman

That's my secrete ;) But rest assured it has cleats. the roof is held in place with clamps until the top 18 inches is folded over. Then take off all the clamps and push. Not always an easy thing to do. This is an 8 pitch so I grabbed the carpenters to help me push it up. There a few more details but that's all I'll give for now B)

March 8, 2010 at 7:22 p.m.

Old School

Copper, how do you hold it on the roof if you can push it into place? How is it fastened or how are the clips hooked?

March 8, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.

copperman

Starting copper roof This is a picture of those Spanish slate with the ore deposit in it. Not a very good slate. Started and finished the copper roof today. Getting ready to push it up. After it was pushed up into place. No cuts and no place for it to leak. All double folded. If you notice the foot prints its from pine rosin. I use it on steep roofs so I don't slip. Works great and washes off in the rain.

February 21, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.

Old School

That is a lot of money to put into a hole in the ground!

February 21, 2010 at 5:56 p.m.

copperman

Yeah they have money for what they really want. They paid 14 mil. for the property so I think money would not be an issue. He lives in the converted barn now till the house is done. Has another GC doing barns and pool houses and other out buildings. I can't imagine what it cost this guy a day and it's been on going for almost two years. He dropped a million on a pond and it's beautiful. I get a few shot of it. It's ice covered now so you can't really see how nice it is.

February 21, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.

Old School

That makes sense. the budget it tight and they gut the rest of the building. Ready, FIRE, aim; I believe!

February 21, 2010 at 9:35 a.m.

copperman

There are so many Extra's on this job now. They were only going to build the new addition and not touch the old portion. They now have gutted it to the bone. All new mechanics. That chimney in the middle is going to be torn down to the first floor and relayed in stone again so the walk-in fireplace and bread oven can be used. All this is T&M so the GC said don't even ask about more upgrades. The budget is tight and they haven't even started putting it back together with all the built-ins and finishes.

February 21, 2010 at 9:21 a.m.

tinner666

SHow him this page and you might get an upgrade/change order and another couple $K. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Ridge%20Vent%20Detail.htm

February 21, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.

copperman

I had to match the old portion. They only had two rows at the bottom. Very fussy homeowner, it can take weeks to make a change so the builder said don't even mention it.

February 21, 2010 at 8:11 a.m.

tinner666

Looks good. Surprised you didn't do a second group of SG's farther up the roof though. :)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award