User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Ever seen these installed? A job we just finished

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

robert

Nice looking roofs but J channel valleys are just temporary, leaves and debris will collect inside and damn it up. It will divert the water from the valley eventually with lots of trees sooner then you think. If your going to installing a lot I would suggest going with open valley systems, I have a hard time selling it as lifetime knowing the valleys will have to be redone in 10-12 years.

February 2, 2015 at 8:43 p.m.

Old School

Correct. He is on the road all the time. too much for me, I hate to drive.

February 2, 2015 at 1:58 p.m.

Old School

Very possible. he has installed a lot of the Stone coated roofs.

January 31, 2015 at 10:04 p.m.

Old School

These are entirely different than the shingle profile. Clover, talk to Tom sands and get his take on it! I know he has worked on a lot of them and is not just a "salesman"

January 31, 2015 at 8:50 p.m.

clvr83

I can see why you thought that, but those were two separate statements. The 20sq roof is just a single homeowner with no other bids.

Manufacturer states 2.5/12, but that concerns me especially after Twill's thread a while back.

January 31, 2015 at 6:34 p.m.

Lefty1

clvr83 Said: The whole roof is that pitch, roughly 20sq with a 4 skylight near the bottom.

Currently, there is a company from two hours away that gets all these roofs. Their website is borderline deceitful, but they sure do sell them.

Are you saying they have other buildings with this on? If so I would go for it.

If not I would wrestle with it just like you. You might ask them what they paid to have them done. I have people tell me what the other guys are bidding. Exspecially if they want me to do the work.

January 31, 2015 at 6:15 p.m.

Old School

Clover, the "stitch" screws are in the vertical part of the shingle, and basically it is sealed by the combination of the granule coating and the Acrylic polymer adhesive. It is kind of like a SBS modified asphalt, but much stronger and harder. Like a pickup bed liner spray if you will. I would be more worried with the side overlap, but it does seem to seal well.

Lefty, you are so right. It is not for everyone and it does take some skill, but it will pay a lot more and it separates us from the pack.

January 31, 2015 at 12:52 p.m.

clvr83

The whole roof is that pitch, roughly 20sq with a 4' skylight near the bottom.

Currently, there is a company from two hours away that gets all these roofs. Their website is borderline deceitful, but they sure do sell them.

January 31, 2015 at 10:53 a.m.

Lefty1

clvr83 Said: Excellent. Ive got to say that the exposed screws worry me just a bit, but Im guessing that if water penetrates there, it will drip between the two shingles.

I looked at one yesterday that really wants them, but he has a 2.75/12 pitch. Im probably going to tell him I wont do it, even though Metro says they are good down to a 2.5/12.

Ive put a couple other bids out there too, but no takers yet. They all went asphalt.

It may take awhile, but keep at it. This is a product that will put you in a different class. Less competition more profit.

How big is the area of the 2.75 pitch?

January 31, 2015 at 8:57 a.m.

clvr83

Excellent. I've got to say that the exposed screws worry me just a bit, but I'm guessing that if water penetrates there, it will drip between the two shingles. edit: where they overlap.

I looked at one yesterday that really wants them, but he has a 2.75/12 pitch. I'm probably going to tell him I won't do it, even though Metro says they are good down to a 2.5/12.

I've put a couple other bids out there too, but no takers yet. They all went asphalt.

January 31, 2015 at 8:46 a.m.

Old School

I just figured a large very steep church with them. It is all cut up and hard to get to, but it would be just as hard using shingles. It will be interesting to see if they make the investment. Should be a good year this year if the economy holds.

January 27, 2015 at 10:46 p.m.

Old School

If these are installed right it is rather simple to repair them. You can just take the screws out and remove the shingles. Much better than the locked bottom seam similar to siding on a lot of them. They breathe too which makes a lot of difference in the longevity of the roof. pretty slick.

January 27, 2015 at 8:59 p.m.

clvr83

Sounds like an opportunity for somebody.

January 27, 2015 at 4:19 p.m.

mastersroofing

People around here are very wary about metal and plastic tiles. Ask someone who has them and they will tell you they have a devil of a time finding anyone who is willing to come out and do a repair on them. Too many roofers going in and out of business and too few selling this stuff. Customers are afraid of getting stuck. Maybe different in different parts of the country, though.

Chuck Masters Roofing Edmonds http://www.masterswa.com/roofers-edmonds.php

January 18, 2015 at 9:06 p.m.

tinner666

Something similar many years ago. And once, some copper shingles. Nada since.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder