English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Ever seen these installed? A job we just finished

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TomB

OS/Clov- Oops!I didn't explain myself properly. I agree, wood is not good for today's typical, (or maybe ill-designed is the proper term),/haphazard design/construction methods.

In fact, we never consider wood, unless, of course the customer insists, or it's a truly a thought-out/purposely designed system.

We typically do slate or tile - a bit of standing seam. Comp is the effective utility alternative.

We've been using the DaVinci products for shake simulates. Of all the "synthetics" thrown on the market over the years, DaVinci is by far the superior IOHO.

I also can't get over the stone-coated experience of 30 yrs ago in California. Big marketing; TV Guide, etc. It was all the rage for re-covering over shake roofs. Eliminated tear-off, light weight, great aesthetics......Until the fires came again......Old shakes beneath would ignite, making for a firefighter's nightmare.

January 8, 2015 at 8:33 a.m.

Old School

Clover, Tom is a great resource for you. He is very knowledgeable, as he installed them for years before he became the rep for them. Looking at the job you did with the Decras I know you will like the Metros. It will make sense to you. Let me know when you get the samples.

Tom, the problem I have with the "real" things is that they just won't last any more. With the way they build the roofs, the amount of insulation used and the "airtightness" of the systems, the materials just rot on the roof. The wood shakes have become very expensive too. this stuff looks "good" when installed, but as you say it doesn't look like the real thing. It is a different look but it will hold up to mother nature. It works with "her" instead of against itself.

January 7, 2015 at 8:05 p.m.

clvr83

TomB: I hardly ever see the real thing around here. I don't know it all when it comes to traditional roofing materials but would love to learn. No market though, so it would mostly be for fun.

OS: Metro samples on the way. I told Tom(sales guy) you recommended me. Now to work on my marketing...

January 6, 2015 at 3:41 p.m.

TomB

We've installed this since the mid/late 90's. Only put it on if an owner has fallen in love with it/sold on by another. I wouldn't want it on my house. I just can't get over the "fake" thing....Gotta have the real thing. On the other hand, from an opportunist perspective; It is extremely easy to work with, as well as the high-cost of materials - it's a $-maker.

January 1, 2015 at 9:38 p.m.

Old School

Nice looking installation! I believe there will be a lot of this sold in the coming years. It sure beats the asphalt shingles!

January 1, 2015 at 8:29 p.m.

clvr83

Snip the top and bottom locks then bend back into place when done :(

The steeper portions of this roof are 11 or 12/12. We didn't set a single toeboard or chicken ladder. Went very well.

I'm waiting on a call back on Metro pricing.

December 30, 2014 at 5:31 p.m.

Old School

As far as the custom brake, definitely! They save time and make it really professional. You will spend about $4,000.00 to get set up with what you need to install them, but if you are going to do many, that is the way to go. With the way the Metro's are made, they screw right down to the roof, but there is a space underneath them and the "high" ribs of the shingles act as a channel for the air. No battens! As far as the cost, you should figure about $300.00 / square by the time you get all of the accessories.

I had to do a "repair" on one of the flatter "shingle" type metal roofs a few years back, and the problems were at the bottom of the roof. We took off the whole thing to redo it. With these you can just unscrew the bottoms and take them right out. A lot better engineered if you ask me. Those do look nice though. How do they suggest that you put roof jacks in when you are working on a really steeper roof? Just curious.

December 30, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

clvr83

Do you recommend the custom breaks? I'll probably buy it next

December 30, 2014 at 3:34 p.m.

clvr83

They hook on the lower course, so it would be tedious to do a repair. I assume those are installed on battens. Did you do vertical battens also otherwise I'm not seeing how they would breathe

Our first job we used a skil saw with a good metal blade. Face mask is right!

The guys bidding the metro shingle Against my bid live over 100 miles away so I've got a good advantage if metros aren't much cheaper.

December 30, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

Old School

Clover, how are the Decra's fastened on the bottom? With the metros you put a screw along the bottom (4) and 4 more on the top, so 8 screws total. The bottom stitch screws allow you to install roof jacks and such and then you just stitch them together as you tear down. You can also do repairs without having to come all the way down from the top of the roof. The shingles breath too, so it is like installing a cold roof. Pretty neat. and very good looking. We will sell a lot of them this year.

Pricing whys, I am selling them about the same as I would a expensive CT Grand Manor install. As far as cutting them, we have one of the shears and also one of the custom break benders and flattening tool that is attached to it for the flashings. I have found that a siding cut table with a skill saw is the way to go to cut them. You have to invest in the expensive saw blades and not be afraid to replace them, but it gives you a very clean cut, and it doesn't fold the shingle over when you are trying to be exact.

Wear long sleeve shirts, safety glasses and a face shield along with ear protection. It gets loud and it throws the granules.

December 29, 2014 at 8:40 p.m.

clvr83

Those are Decra ShakeXD. I'm bidding a Decra job against a guy using Metro's. Both Shingle profiles.

We bought an AJC shear just for cutting these stone coated shingles. Works pretty great once you get used to it. Your right about those cut's though!

One note: If youre ever opted to run a Decra shingle profile, don't go with the basic "Shingle", get Shingle Plus or XD. The basic profile have a vertical seam that sorta interlocks with the next one. Huge pain and difficult to get right consistently...at least for me anyways.

December 29, 2014 at 4:38 p.m.

Old School

They are the Metro Cottage shingles. What is that, that you are working on there?

You are right about them being easier to stand on. The granules surely don't roll off like on a regular shingle. They do cover nicely, but they still take a bit to install. On a wide open area they will go quickly, but when you get to the cutting, you better have a cut man that knows what he is doing.

December 29, 2014 at 8:41 a.m.

clvr83

Is that Decra or Metro? It's amazing how easy you can work those on a 10/12 pitch!

I'm waiting to hear back on two bids I've got out for those. I've been pushing them all year, sold two so far. Doing a homeshow in March where I'm hoping to really get them going.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad