User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Dead valley question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

I've got this fine situation to deal with and normally I'd put mod bit in it and forget about it. Naturally I'd trust a metal solution to last longer, so that's my question. How would one go about putting metal in this valley? The valley is 11' long, so I'd have to use two pieces.

I only know enough about copper to be dangerous, but I'm trying to learn. If you have two pieces of copper overlapping, but not folded together, can you still just solder the joint and expect a long life out of it?

May 20, 2015 at 7:06 a.m.

clvr83

tinner666 Said:The shingles are best cut square where they cross the valley top and overlap by the scissor-lock by 1-2, making caulk unnessary. Just like all valleys are always done. No difference.

I see the peaks of valleys exposed a lot on metal roofs, so I assumed that was fair game. Personally, I run the ridge over the peak of the valley, do you?

Thanks Lefty. I was worried my work would get nitpicked to oblivion, but at least I'd get better.

May 19, 2015 at 8:47 p.m.

Lefty1

Nice work and Thank You for sharing the whole process with us.

May 19, 2015 at 6:57 a.m.

clvr83

Frank, I tried scissoring locking this one, but it didn't line up very well. We also had the top shingle overlapping the intersection by about an inch, but we decided to cut it back. I generally try not to do anything that leaves an asphalt shingle with a gap beneath it. I do believe that might have been better though, not sure.

May 18, 2015 at 11:12 p.m.

tinner666

Two piece crickets work best when scissor locked att he ridge on both ends. No gaps. The ridge can be double or single hemmed. The shingles are best cut square where they cross the valley top and overlap by the scissor-lock by 1-2", making caulk unnessary. Just like all valleys are always done. No difference.

May 18, 2015 at 11:49 a.m.

clvr83

No, but great idea! How much are they getting out of a can of that these days?

May 18, 2015 at 9:54 a.m.

Pattern X

did you put flex seal on the window screens?

May 18, 2015 at 8:18 a.m.

bdub

Wywoody, you got me choking on my coffee this morning!!!!! Thats the best description of a nassau trip ive ever heard!!!! Spot on!!!!

First of all, nassau is not really the bahamas. Its more like miami. The bahamas is several hundred islands. We refer to nassau as "town". You cant see the bahamas from nassau. Really anywhere a cruise ship goes is all the same. And youre right, the money is far from the tourist scene. There are 4 gated communities in nassau with a very large concentration of great wealth from around the world in them. I try not to be in nassau much myself.

The island where i spend most of my time is a small cay (pronounced key) in a part of the bahamas south of nassau called exuma. The island is one of the 365 exuma cays called staniel cay. Staniel is 800 acres, around 100 residents, golf carts instead of cars, billionaires and locals all blended together. No class war whatsoever. The work on the private islands is something like dubai.

I love your story of your nassau experience!!! Yes freedom has some drawbacks lol but i love it!

Working here is a real challenge as im sure you can imagine. That traffic is real and daily. Those guys outside the liquor store....our workforce. The prices you paid while here....we all pay the same. My biggest roofing problems are by far.....

Uneducated mostly illiterate work force International shipping of every single product Jobs i can only get to at high tide Being a mcguyver is a must No one at any store has ever heard of that thing you are looking for The "yamon" attitude is cool on vaca but 24/7 it gets old quick

Try and imagine all the work you ever wanted. In the gates is all kinds of high end jobs with high end prices and outside is all kinds of production work. The simplest things you already know make you a wizard here. But you have the most lazy, stuck on stupid, dont give a crap, duhhhhh type workers on the planet!!! And its like a giant union cause they are all the same.

Ive got 2 choices, do high end work by myself or have a production company doing horrible work. The production company makes all the money but something about horrible work just makes me crazy! Hope that opens a window to my opinions here on rcs. Down here thats the clear choice. I get "interventions" regularly from the local roof contractors, trust me. "You HAVE to stop killing yourself for small money" "you can only make so much with your hands" " the homeowners accept the bad work and youre saved by grace" etc etc. Maybe ive just got a really hard head?!? Lol

Anyway thx for the laugh this morning wywoody!

May 18, 2015 at 7:42 a.m.

bdub

Clvr i dont blame you. 2 piece probably better for that very reason. I quit shingling around 03 and at that time my work load was primarily 10yr old roof replacement. Figured eternabond would do it. Besides i believe the polymer in The eternabond is butyl anyway and butyl is good stuff. I feel kinda stupid i never thought to make them 2 piece! These days i would use 2 piece copper seamed together at the top with a pocket fold at either end and half round seams. But with asphalt id say exactly like you did is best. Im anti sealants for the most part but np1 and vulkem are very impressive to me.

May 18, 2015 at 6:36 a.m.

clvr83

We were doing a Highlander Weathered wood job this January. 42 degrees was the high, scarring on the West side from minimal traffic 4/12 pitch. Some colors are worse than the others. We don't have issues with most other brands until the 80's.

May 18, 2015 at 1:33 a.m.

natty

clvr83 Said: Speaking of Malarkeys, do you have problems with them scarring very badly? Like in direct sunlight on a 75 degree day? Or do you only run the Legacys?
If there is an asphalt shingle that does not scar under direct sunlight, I have not seen it. The Legacy has better granular adhesion because of the rubberized asphalt, but it is even more susceptible to scarring.

May 17, 2015 at 5:13 p.m.

clvr83

Speaking of Malarkey's, do you have problems with them scarring very badly? Like in direct sunlight on a 75 degree day? Or do you only run the Legacy's?

May 17, 2015 at 4:58 p.m.

clvr83

Highlander good eye

May 17, 2015 at 4:25 p.m.

natty

clvr83 Said: I hope it lasts the life of this roof, I expect 25 years out of my shingled roofs(naive?)

[/img]

Why? Isn't that shingle Malarkey Legacy?- an impact resistant life time shingle

May 17, 2015 at 9:53 a.m.

clvr83

bdub: I have seen the 1 piece cricket, but didn't like that giant opening at the top. I wasn't sure how to close that off, maybe just caulk a cap piece over it? Would eternabond last 25 years? My two piece may need service in less than that, I don't know. That will be up to our old friend NP1.

Roofdude: Thanks! This was my first one, we have always shingled them. It's pretty simple. Here is a picture from the other direction showing how it's folded over. I hope it lasts the life of this roof, I expect 25 years out of my shingled roofs(naive?)

May 17, 2015 at 9:41 a.m.

wywoody

bdub, this is my Bahamas experience;

While on the cruise ship over, my family was trying to talk me out of renting a scooter and doing a lap of the island. On the night before we got to Nassau, they stuck a flier under the door that said: Do not rent scooters, YOU WILL DIE.

That, of course steeled my resolve, all I had to do was survive and I become a death-defyer.

So I go to the scooter rental area and soon discover things are much different in this country. Unlike US car rental companies that require a credit card, these places require cash and can't even process a credit card.

The Bob Marley-looking guy takes me to my scooter and the first thing I notice is that the brake lever is broken! There are going to be some challenges to surviving the day. I mention it and the guy offers to let me choose another one. But as I look around, about half of them have broken levers and the nub remaining on mine is bigger than the others and my scooter is the only Japanese brand (the others all Chinese knockoffs), so I stick with the first one they offered.

I begin my ride, constantly telling myself "keep to the left". I soon discover that if you drive a scooter there and try to be overly polite, the locals will run you off the road. You have to ASSERT yourself. I also am amazed at the high proportion of cars on the road that are in a condition best described as "barely running" and wonder how they do it.

After surviving my ride, I go on a tour with my wife, d-I-l, and two grandchildren. We are sharing the van with a Miami family that wants to stock up on booze and pot, so we get the deluxe tour. We go over the hill to where the locals live to a liquor store. It looks like an old gas station with bars on the windows, absolutely no signage and a small crowd outside of it drinking beer. The pot was scored in the fish shacks under the bridge to Paradise Island.

When I was in the residential area around the liquor store I discovered how all the locals keep their beaters running. They all seem to have 2 or 3 parts cars in their yards.

One thing I didn't see was an abundance of permanent roofs. Other than government buildings I didn't notice much copper. There was more clay tile than here, but no more than in Florida.

The tour took us to an upscale residential neighborhood and the tour guide mentioned a couple of names that owned homes in it, but it was just an average upscale neighborhood. Now,I know the neighborhoods that have the high end homes probably have gates to keep tour buses out, but I never saw anything that should command over a couple of million dollars.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - This is Roofing School! (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar