User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Conflicts between science and religion

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

copperman

This is how I feel about the issue: Creation. The planet’s coming into existence is recounted in the Bible with the simple statement: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Ge 1:1) Just how long ago the starry heavens and the earth were created is not stated in the Bible. Therefore, there is no basis for Bible scholars to take issue with scientific calculations of the age of the planet. Scientists estimate the age of some rocks as being three and a half billion years, and the earth itself as being about four to four and a half billion or more years. As to time, the Scriptures are more definite about the six creative days of the Genesis account. These days have to do, not with the creation of earth’s matter or material, but with the arranging and preparing of it for man’s habitation. The Bible does not reveal whether God created life on any of the other planets in the universe. However, astronomers today have not found proof that life exists on any of these planets and, in fact, know of no planet besides the earth that is at present capable of supporting the life of fleshly creatures.

October 28, 2009 at 1:37 p.m.

CIAK

No conflict here ......... http://seedmagazine.com/slideshow/far_out/ Awesome, " a picture is worth a thousnad words ." I don't know who said this for those who are keeping score .

October 27, 2009 at 3:26 p.m.

Pot Gregory

You just answered a question using your logic how is it ok for you to do this?

Dont no how to take your question here, minn.Not sure what you are askin.

Funny thing is i could be wrong

If you go out and ask maybe 20 people, about this subject of what to do to get thru this veil of sorrow and come out on the right side when it's all over, you wood prob get as many different answers.

Proverbs 14 12. There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Most all the modern day religions of the times we live in, fail to tell of the 2 fold being that we are, and that is it the soul that will get out and not the body.

The good thing about it is, is that you can know how you stand with God before you leave here. I John 4 13. Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

October 27, 2009 at 11:19 a.m.

Pot Gregory

As long as there have been record keeping, there have been men wondering these things.

The scientist community say the world is millions of years old...the Bible record of generations give it about 6000 yrs...i belive the Bible, but i woodnt fall out over the millions of years..THEORY. After all the Bible tells us that with God, a day is as a thousand years, meaning to me that time has no meaning to God , because he has always been....shucks, he might have taken a few million yrs to create everthing for all I know.

October 27, 2009 at 11:11 a.m.

Pot Gregory

kage....I believe you have a right heart...at least by reading your replies, I do. Alot of good folks(as we see good), are going to be dissapointed on that day.

Acording to the Book you are onto something about the good and not so good on judjement day. Matt 7 21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

October 27, 2009 at 11:05 a.m.

Pot Gregory

Where's Lefty????

October 27, 2009 at 11:04 a.m.

Pot Gregory

A truley endless debate kan be found here for shure...in either direction..I just wish i could state my feelings from my heart the way egg talks about things.. I aint been here in a while, who we missing??

October 27, 2009 at 10:45 a.m.

CIAK

Pot God or religion , spirit is looking for the " why " is this . Science is trying to figure out the how it all goes together .

October 27, 2009 at 10:43 a.m.

Pot Gregory

egg: [ RE: Conflicts between science and religion ] , Saturday, October 24, 2009 @ 11:20 PM Old School, I hope you are well and staying busy (As you say: doing what others can't or won't, as I do also, and continuing to knock on a little wood as an act of humility and gratitude for the work we have, also as I do.)

You say, "... where did the material come from?" Historically this question has arisen from both the religious and scientific mind, two lines of inquiry that need not necessarily be mutually exclusive, no matter how different they might be from age to age and culture to culture.

I feel a couple of things bear mentioning. Aside from what we have delineated here...

Click Here To Go To URL

...we are deeply embroiled in the process of understanding what the material is, not to mention quite indefinite and tentative about where it is or how it is.

Most of what we call 'material,' a rock for example, or a piece of wood, or even a cup full of water, these things that we take such comfort and security in knowing and handling, and bonding with, is comprised almost entirely of empty space. It's not the empty space that is perplexing us and it's not the empty space we are looking to fill.

Or is it? With heart, mind, body, and soul we all carry on. At the risk of offending some people, any people, I freely equate humankind with the starfish by the divine art of analogy. A starfish, battered by the pounding surf, clings tenaciously to his rock and is happy with his connection to this universe. Why is that? Especially when virtually all of his physical body is composed of empty space? I/we are very interested in the material structure of the universe and it remains of great importance to me every single day. But in the end, the material universe, at least as defined by these so-called solid particles we have mapped, is not going to provide a very satisfactory answer by itself. Excepting by way of analogy. Even the frailest human can make thought manifest. I take that as a small example of the 'kind' of power which arranges and rearranges the material universe.

Mister egg...you are truly a deep thinker..it is very enlightening to read your replies to this type of posting....i think you mite have missed your calling....lol

October 27, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

Pot Gregory

wywoody: [ RE: Conflicts between science and religion ] , Sunday, October 25, 2009 @ 7:56 AM I am a : roofing survivor Suppose you were God. And you had painstakingly created the earth, deposited it with minerals that mankind could use, guided the evolution of the animals and plants and then as your final achievement created man to populate and enjoy your creation.

You want to have a book of guidance for your mankind and since you're all-knowing you (like a magazine editor) already know that as a lowest common denominator, it's best to deliver the message in a 600 to 700 word format. Plus, initially you need to tailor it to a rather uneducated populous. And you, being God, can actually put it into a parable format and deliver two messages in that 600 to 700 words. One, the general order of creation, the other the law of the Sabbath. Amazing efficiency. But to your disappointment mankind uses this to divide and argue among themselves.

The die-hard believers obsess with a literal interpretation of the parable, in doing so denying the hard work of milleniums of your doing carefull, planned creation. The atheists deny you even exist, all the while instead worshipping the very things you created.

God has a right to look down at us and either be angry and disappointed or amused at our folly. I'm hoping he has a sense of humor.

;)

October 27, 2009 at 10:34 a.m.

Pot Gregory

The way I look at it is that if there is a "law" of nature or gravity or whatever, there has to be a "lawgiver" The later had to come first! Go back to the "big bang" What led up to it, and where did the material come from? Interesting!

Me an you are on the same track....OS

October 27, 2009 at 10:30 a.m.

Pot Gregory

What constitutes a God anyway? Did he create the universe? If so where did he come from and what was he before the existence of anything? Did he come into being after the universe was formed? If so how was he created and who did it, would that mean then that there is a being greater than God?

The things accomplished by ancient peoples are amazing (too numerous to list) and would seem to have required a greater knowledge then can be accounted for in thier apparent development, could it be an alien race was here and provided guidence? In that possibility perhaps they needed a labor force that could comprehend thier needs and enhanced natural evolution and in a sense "created" Humanity. Could our God really be a little grey man from a different galaxy? Could it be the alien was a criminal who came here and exploited the population till he was tracked down by his own and punished for interfering with a planets evolution.

bill.......you been watchin to much Star Gate.....lol

October 26, 2009 at 11:12 p.m.

kage

There are a lot of people who think they should keep the Ten Commandments because they are under the impression that God will punish them if they don't. But the fact is that God loves us, and we should keep His commandments because we are aware of this.

We need to know that God accepts us as we are. We don't have to do anything to earn His approval. We don't have to do anything to merit His love. In spite of our shortcomings and in spite of our sins, God loves us.

Some people come from homes in which their fathers never expressed love or showed any affection toward them. Therefore, they take that image of their earthly fathers and place it on their Heavenly Father. They spend the rest of their lives trying to earn the approval of God, who already has given His approval to them.

He loves us just as we are. Of course, He doesn't want to leave us that way. He wants to change us so that we become more like Christ. Even then, God loves us when we do well, and He loves us when we fail.

Realizing this should cause us to want to love Him. As 1 John 4:19 says, "We love Him because He first loved us." So instead of wanting to keep God's commandments to earn His love, we should want to keep them because of His love for us. We should want to keep His commandments because we know they are right. It all comes down to our motives.

October 26, 2009 at 10:36 p.m.

kage

minnesotaroofin Said: A murdering child rapest on his death bed being forgiven and granted into the kingdom of heaven -- while the peace loving never hurt a fly guy type goes to hell.

If chester truly asks the Lord for forgivness and repents yes he will be forgivin,if the peace lovin guy does not believe and denies the Lord yes he will be in hell,thats also biblical...not me.Us as humans Cannot comprehend the Love of the Lord,it is beyond what we could even think...

2 Timonthy 2:12 "if we endure,we will also reign with Him,if we deny Him,He also will deny us."

October 26, 2009 at 2:40 p.m.

tinner666

minnesotaroofin: Sounds like ya know yer stuff. :)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad