English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Venting

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Handnail

And im not talkin about ridge vent! Let me set the scene, Were a well known roofing and siding company in are area, we have been doing roofing and siding for the last 20 years, established in 1988. Ive been workin like a dog for the last 20 years of my life trying to establish a reputation in my hometown and feel as if i have! I pay taxes,wokemans comp, insurance, state lisc., health insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays, etc. I feel as if i have done everything i can do to FORGE a reputation! Yall know the story. Then one day i see this Contractors sign in my area, an out of place company, this dude has never done work around here before, then i see another and another and another and so on and so on! I cant explain it, were in a resession right? But it continues to grow, this guys signing up 20 homes in a row on the same block, what the $#@# is going on? So i get a call from a lady to build a exterior porch off her back wall. Im thinkin sweet, my phones been dead and i could use a nice job! I check out the job and she has this companys sign on her lawn, and they have new siding and a roof on there home! So i ask her why she chose this contractor for the job? She replies, it was a hail storm in 2008 that damaged my exterior and this guy said it was coverd by her homeowners policy, and they got it! And so did the rest of her block this dude probably made a million on her street alone! Heres my beef,these homes range between 25 and 30 years old, these homes have needed replacement for years! So i decide to check one of them out, one that hasnt been repaired yet, and let me tell ya what there wasnt any signs of storm damage! These dudes are killing us around here! There takin ten years worth of future work from us and theres nothing i can do. They got subs coming here from all over the East coast to do there work! What would you do?>>>

July 27, 2009 at 10:51 a.m.

CIAK

twill I figured you would be to busy to look it up sooooo ........I did it for ya . http://www.garageband.com/artist/mumbojumbo :laugh: B) B) B Enjoy ,.. keep your eyes and ears open ;) ;) Oh by the way twill " I didn't say anything even remotely close to that.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.

JET

twill59 Said: Like Chuck said, you are doing it wrong. Being honest just makes you a hardworking chump taxpayer. The name of the game is lying, cheating and stealing. To make this crime pay, you need a connected partner however. Such as...... an Insurance Company!

Thank you........

JET>>>

July 26, 2009 at 9:53 a.m.

CIAK

In my best Pee Wee Herman " What's just you twill infinity "? You said it . What did you mean " that's just me " , twill ?>>>

July 24, 2009 at 10:00 p.m.

CIAK

Whats just you twill ??>>>

July 24, 2009 at 5:41 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

twill59 Said: Ed-- it seems the insurance company asked his opinion. He gave it to them.

Mr. Adjuster. My client says he has storm damage. He wants to know if your company agrees and will be paying for the loss.

It's honest, but also allowing the adjuster to give his opinion, which may or may not differ with my own.

If I disagreed vehemently with his opinion, then I would take it up to the next level, but it would be his duty to inform the client of HIS assessment about why the claim was denied.

Ed>>>

July 24, 2009 at 5:37 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

clublaugh Said:
Ed The Roofer Said:

You can be honest and silent at the same time.

Ed

Very true. I think in that situation I would have told the adjuster that it was his call to make. If the owner had asked, I would have told him it didnt have storm damage.

Exactly my point.

Ed>>>

July 24, 2009 at 5:32 p.m.

clublaugh

Ed The Roofer Said:

Ed

Very true. I think in that situation I would have told the adjuster that it was his call to make. If the owner had asked, I would have told him it didn't have storm damage.>>>

July 24, 2009 at 5:23 p.m.

CIAK

As soon as we stop blaming others and realize we are the engineers of our lives . We know then , we have become adults and have something positive to offer to make the world better. I started my topic Fire at my last rental with a miss step and wrong assessment . Fortunately my miss step wasn't with the adjuster . I had it set up when the adjusters showed up at the house I had 3 people that were property adjusters on site with me . We all identified ourselves as such. I didn't run around and give out any assessments . I let the adjuster do their jobs . The insurance company has acted as it should have . I paid my premiums and would not , will tolerate anything else . I am the engineer of my life.>>>

July 24, 2009 at 4:42 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Jed Said: Hatrick was asked a question and gave an honest answer Ed. I doubt you would have acted differently, and most of us here would provide nothing less than an honest, professional opinion.

Jed,

I would have rendered an honest opinion to the prospective client.

I also would have informed him that I do not have a crystal ball and do not know what any individual adjuster may say.

I have seen roofs with perfect hail hits and plenty of them get denied, but also have seen many old aged roofs get approved.

It is not for me to make the adjusters decision, and could only have negative ramifications if I did.

They ask my opinion on the roof and I want to know why they are asking. They are the ones being paid to take care of their clients.

Hatrick,

You screwed up by overstepping your duties and should expect that anything you say will be repeated.

How do I know? Because the exact same scenario happened to me in the past, except I had already informed the home owner that the roof had no hail damage and was just fried from age and totally burned out.

Now, just learn from the error and don't put yourself in the trick bag again like that.

Also, another reason I don't offer my negative analysis opinion, is because some insurance adjusters deem it worthy for their client to have a new roof, to limit their liability for future claims due to them not approving it at that time. I have seen that happen and it surprises me every single time.

Ed>>>

July 24, 2009 at 3:35 p.m.

CIAK

Hatrick I have a couple of question " Why didn't you want to tell the H/O his roof was toast ? Wouldn't that have been up front ? Isn't that what you do in most of your roof sales ? If you could clarify . It would help to understand your position Twill honesty is between hone slate a polishing slate and honestation ; grace :laugh: ;) ;) B)>>>

July 24, 2009 at 2:43 p.m.

hatrick

I actully told the insurance guy not to blame me, but to place the blame on his(the H.O.'s) roof. He should have the courage to deny the claim without using me as a scapegoat. This wasn't a close call or a tough decision to come to. The roof was missing all the grnules. the tabs were all still on the roof, but you could see wood between all the tabs. IT WASN'T CLOSE!>>>

July 24, 2009 at 2:01 p.m.

CIAK

I think you possibly got ahead of yourself Hatrick . Not knowing the end result of where your line in the sand should be drawn . Sometimes the best lessons are learned when we make mistakes and step into an unknown area. All this visceral spew only fans the ignorants embers . IMO and Opions of others including this quote . "It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust." - Samuel Johnson . Not much of the vast knowledge I've learned has come from good times. A warning , Listening to some who spew visceral froth is a lesson I recommend for the UNHAPPY people . You will remain so if you do. I agree with ED's principle. I've made similar mistakes giving opinions and have had some unanticipated results. A valuable lesson learned and another black and blue much needed diploma to hang on my wall of fame listed under " naivete ".>>>

July 24, 2009 at 1:32 p.m.

Jed

Hatrick was asked a question and gave an honest answer Ed. I doubt you would have acted differently, and most of us here would provide nothing less than an honest, professional opinion.>>>

July 24, 2009 at 11:13 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

Rather then tell them what you thought, don't you think there that the adjuster should have made the call.

You shouldn't tell anyone something that you wouldn't want to come back and bite you in the azz.

When the adjuster would have come out, the denial would have been on his shoulders, and seemingly rightfully so, because it sounds like it should have been denied, but now you made enemies in that neighborhood.

Ed>>>

July 24, 2009 at 9:31 a.m.

hatrick

Aguy here called me about his roof.It was about a 30 year old 3-tab roof, he said had storm damage. We don't get damaging hail or anything like that here. No tree fell on his roof. It was just really old and should have been replaced 10 years ago. The insurance company was replacing computers and stuff inside the garage. It was the garage roof. I', not positive it had electricity in the garage. I am sure no one would use a computer in this garage. But the insurance was paying to replace them. I left an estimate with the homeowner. He sent it to the insurance company. They called me, said they were sending an inspector and asked what I thought. I told him not to tell the homeowner, because I wouldlike the roof job abd because i live in the area and don't want a homeowner angry with me because his roof was turned down, but that the roof was just really old. There wasn't any spot where a tree hit it or anything or any damage anywhere. A few days later the H.O. calls me screaming saying the ins.guy told him his adjuster thought the roof was damaged but that I had told them it wasn't, it was just old, so they weren't paying. Now the H.O. hates me, he's telling all his friends what an idiot I am and how I know nothing about roofs and the insurance saved the payout. So much for being honest!>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

USG - Banner - Fire
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad