User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Roofing contractor defined

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TomB

Another had brought up the term "authenticity", on another topic....I had never used that term, but he had hit the nail on the head, and got me thinking....That's what we promote & pride ourselves on....Thanks, CIAK

I know this will offend a good number, however, I feel the majority of residential roofing contractors are merely salesmen/charlitons....The lack of state licensing seems to be a predominant factor.

My opinion of an "authentic" roofing contractor is a business which is owned & operated by, or has employed in an executive position, an experienced/technical knowledgeable & capable roofing professional. The primary "roofing" work is carried out by trained/qualified/U.S.legal employees, under appropriate supervision. "Subcontracting" is limitted to other, but related trades, (i.e., major structural carpenty, possible specialty sheet metal or the like, not normally carried out by the contractor, HVAC, etc.).

August 4, 2010 at 6:55 p.m.

Old School

We all know that there is nothing legally wrong with sub-contracting. It is our Constitutional right to contract. When you hire someone, you are contracting with them. Both parties have legal rights and duties.

When we are working on a building, it is not "our" building, and we are all required to protect the owner of that building in case we do something wrong and cause damage, or someone gets hurt doing the work and has to be healed; no matter what the cost.

If you are legal and you sub to a legal entity, and they in turn sub to someone else and they are not insured, you will find out quickly when one of them get injured who the "employer" is. That person is responsible for the money that has to be paid out. If the homeowner has insurance, they will pay, and THEN they will go after the person that is the "employer" Deep pockets, what ever you want to call it, you are going to get screwed. Count on it.

I go back to what I said before. 99% of the people "subbing" by the square, are employees, that are cheating on the insurance and the taxes. Everyone is getting screwed in the long run!

August 4, 2010 at 6:50 p.m.

Verified

tico Said: now Verified,you know that wasnt aimed at you.and for the most part an elaboration to A fcat. outside,in the real world,how many show up that were schooled and educated on multi typed roof systems,and are looking for A job? I never looked for any type of work for const.I could do it myself,and were A dying breed. I havent done every single solitary type of roof their is.what I have done is hot,tile,(several species) gravel,shingle and some metals,5 v,standing,and some big slate repairs.(we called them egg roofs) yet the fact is,should the need arise for me to help someone do something Ive not done,Id fall in step quickly.thats what I define as A roofer. and bout everyone here roofs.or has. their are some who do only one thing,and they should be called by that. i wouldnt call A prostitute who didnt take her clothes off a PROstitute,shes A pull and swallow.

They pay for their mistakes....either the "contractor" in repairs ...or the homeowner in repairs. either way someone is paying when people are on a roof or in charge of a roof job without proper knowledge or care and concern for doing the right thing. B)

August 4, 2010 at 5:06 p.m.

CIAK

Not me for sure. That being said I know who and where to get the information I want or need. I know who can. I don't do a lot of hands on. I sure watch alot and supervise. ;) ;) B)

August 4, 2010 at 4:05 p.m.

tico

now Verified,you know that wasn't aimed at you.and for the most part an elaboration to A fcat. outside,in the real world,how many show up that were schooled and educated on multi typed roof systems,and are looking for A job? I never looked for any type of work for const.I could do it myself,and we're A dying breed. I haven't done every single solitary type of roof their is.what I have done is hot,tile,(several species) gravel,shingle and some metals,5 v,standing,and some big slate repairs.(we called them egg roofs) yet the fact is,should the need arise for me to help someone do something I've not done,I'd fall in step quickly.thats what I define as A roofer. and 'bout everyone here roofs.or has. their are some who do only one thing,and they should be called by that. i wouldn't call A prostitute who didn't take her clothes off a PROstitute,she's A pull and swallow.

August 4, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.

Verified

tico Said:
CIAK Said: Roofing contractor, means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the roofing trade and who has the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design, when not prohibited by law, and use materials and items used in the installation, maintenance, extension, and alteration of all kinds of roofing, waterproofing, and coating, except when coating is not represented to protect, repair, waterproof, stop leaks, or extend the life of the roof. B) :lol: :side: :silly: :side: :woohoo: :lol: B)
and how many actual paper owners can do this?

Me! I can do about any kind of roof. I have the pics to prove it!

August 4, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.

Verified

August 4, 2010 at 1:40 p.m.

tico

CIAK Said: Roofing contractor, means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the roofing trade and who has the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design, when not prohibited by law, and use materials and items used in the installation, maintenance, extension, and alteration of all kinds of roofing, waterproofing, and coating, except when coating is not represented to protect, repair, waterproof, stop leaks, or extend the life of the roof. B) :lol: :side: :silly: :side: :woohoo: :lol: B)
and how many actual paper owners can do this?

August 4, 2010 at 1:14 p.m.

CIAK

Roofing contractor, means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the roofing trade and who has the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, alter, extend, or design, when not prohibited by law, and use materials and items used in the installation, maintenance, extension, and alteration of all kinds of roofing, waterproofing, and coating, except when coating is not represented to protect, repair, waterproof, stop leaks, or extend the life of the roof. B) :lol: :side: :silly: :side: :woohoo: :lol: B)

August 4, 2010 at 11:00 a.m.

RandyB1986

Pimps obtain simple liability, sign our states waiver, sell a roof and then hire "1" sub with correct paperwork and his own crew.

It is the pimps responsibility to make sure the 1 sub he hires has insurance, WC or waiver, SS#, etc.

It is not the pimps responsibility to make sure the 1 subs "crew" all has proper insurance, waivers, SS#, etc.

When the pimp fills out the 1099 for the "sub"......he is not making a 1099 out to every guy on the crew.

In turn, when the pimp gets insurance audit.......if he does not have waivers on file for every sub he 1099, he will be penalized and charged.

This is one of them laws that we all know gets broken daily.....think about Dish TV and them companies. Many of them guys are "subs".......but yet they, they being Dish TV, schedules the install time, etc.

Go figure.

August 4, 2010 at 9:04 a.m.

jimAKAblue

twill59 Said: Sole Proprietor may. There is a state form. THe employees CANNOT be waived however.

Thats the thing about roofing tho.....generally it is not a one man band type occupation. A crew, no matter how small, is almost always necessary. And yes, 2-3 guys can easily form a legal partnership. I would encourage them to do so. (why dont they?)

Does not seem to be the case tho. At the end of the day, most of these guys are subs because they cant handle the management, organization and selling. But MOST IMPORTANTLY: The Paperwork

Which at the end of most all tests and requirements, almost always makes them employees. (In almost all other business, if you dont file your paperwork, youd lose your license)

Someway, somehow common sense and business sense gets thrown out the window in the residential construction world

If they (the state) allow sole proprietor's to waive the worker's comp, then they most likely would also allow a single member LLC to waive the comp too. It gets a little more complicated with Corps.

August 4, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.

jimAKAblue

Up north in MI, they allowed small one man bands to sign off on worker's comp; and MI is heavily regulated. Are you sure they don't allow sole proprietor's to sign off on comp in your locale?

August 4, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.

TomB

Right on Old School....

However.....just remember; "Perception, IS reality"......

August 3, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.

Verified

Old School Said: You put a suit on a pig and he still looks like a pig. Piecework is sub work. Contract work with the proper licensing, insurance, and equipment is subbing. Face it guys, 99% of your Sub crews are employees that you are not paying the necessary taxes and insurance on. Been there and done that. Denial is not that long river in Egypt.

ya i forgot the insurance part albiet in texas there is no licensing, wc or ins requirements. My sub crews have 1mill 2mill liability. If they dont then my insurance doesnt cover the job. With my employee crew it does. my employees get paid by the day.

August 3, 2010 at 7:28 p.m.

jimAKAblue

"Face it guys, 99% of your "Sub" crews are employees that you are not paying the necessary taxes and insurance on

I'd put the number at 25% or less. Maybe the newbies in business might get caught creating "captured employees" or mischaracterizing them as independent contractors when they are, in fact, employees. It's far too easy to meet the intent and spirit of the IRS regs governing legitimate independent contractors so a contractor would be a fool to get caught in that trap.

August 3, 2010 at 7:14 p.m.

Old School

You put a suit on a pig and he still looks like a pig. Piecework is sub work. Contract work with the proper licensing, insurance, and equipment is subbing. Face it guys, 99% of your "Sub" crews are employees that you are not paying the necessary taxes and insurance on. Been there and done that. Denial is not that long river in Egypt.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad - Christopher Kane - Storm Ready: Insights on Hurricane Preparedness
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest