User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

pan flashing for skylight

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

max

I had to fabricate and install this skylight pan flashing. At 34 ft. anyone top this or do I have the record.

May 14, 2024 at 7:58 a.m.

fugasdq

Dormer windows are an incredible discovery in the world of renovations, for some reason very few people install them, for some reason I want to ask people how you solve the problem of lighting your home, I personally choose roof lights because it is really the right decision, now my house looks incredibly stylish and with design solutions.

May 14, 2024 at 7:56 a.m.

fugasdq

Dormer windows are an incredible discovery in the world of renovations, for some reason very few people install them, for some reason I want to ask people how you solve the problem of lighting your home, I personally choose roof lights because it is really the right decision, now my house looks incredibly stylish and with design solutions.

May 14, 2024 at 7:55 a.m.

fugasdq

September 23, 2012 at 7:53 a.m.

ottawa_roofer

Velux is my preference, but i bow to you. I once did a bank of 4 cirb mounted lites, but nothing like that. Good pic, thanks. B)

September 3, 2012 at 8:49 p.m.

tinner666

TO be honest Tom, I don't even know. 99% of the ones I work on don't get a cricket. Sometimes, I look at the roof and know I'd better add one! :)

Here's a typical replacement I did. The ends extend about 8" past each corner.

September 3, 2012 at 8:29 p.m.

TomB

Tinner...Been std, (cricket required per UBC/IBC/IRC), as long as I can remember...Is it 24" or 30"? max w/o?

Crickets are pretty-much std/the norm on most res sloped roofs.

There's a lot of roofs performing just fine in complete opposition of std/typical/"code" rqrmnts/roofing practices....

September 3, 2012 at 6:59 p.m.

max

TomB Said: Why was it replaced, if it was performing? Do it once; Do it right. BTW; We just completed a pool house roof, that had extensive skylights, (raised appropriately, w/crickets)....It was an earth-covered roof as well.

There was a leak on the otherside of that large vent that had been leaking for a long time. Carpenters had to reframe the whole area it was so bad. They damaged the skylight pan in the process so that was the reason. It was performing just fine. Been fine now for 2 years.4/12 roof

September 3, 2012 at 3:54 p.m.

tinner666

I've done several similar ones. I think you beat me by several feet though. My largest chimney without a cricket was 8'+. Bent in a full 36" sheet of LLC, with about 10" of it up.

Tom, crickets may be reccomended, but I doubt required. Any roofer could flash thousands of chimneys, never use a cricket, and they'll never leak. Now, take a jackleg, and even with a cricket, I think his batting average will be around 50%. It will come down to the installer every time to get it right.

September 3, 2012 at 2:45 p.m.

Old School

It is awfully flat! I like to install the Velux windows on something like that. They are individualy set and have space between them and one very slick flashing system! Those boys know what they are doing with roof windows.

September 3, 2012 at 12:44 p.m.

copperman

The longest one I did was 80 Ft. All home made using Lexicon clear panels. It was over a pool also. I wish I had a picture. I do recall putting in expansion joints. Was just a single row about 60 inches wide in a wood shingle roof. Never had a call back on it. Been is service 12 years before I left PA.

September 3, 2012 at 11:52 a.m.

TomB

;)

September 3, 2012 at 10:33 a.m.

egg

40 ft. span cut in half to allow for drainage in both directions= 20 ft. run X 1/4" = 5" rise at center = 2X6 upper "curb"

That would meet code with a minimum of additional expense. Next time.

September 3, 2012 at 10:31 a.m.

TomB

Why was it replaced, if it was performing? Do it once; Do it right. BTW; We just completed a pool house roof, that had extensive skylights, (raised appropriately, w/crickets)....It was an earth-covered roof as well.

September 3, 2012 at 10:18 a.m.

max

yes woody on a 40 ft brake

September 3, 2012 at 10:17 a.m.

max

This skylight has been here for 20 years+. All I was asked to do was replace what was there. Are you saying you would advise the homeowner to spend thousands of dollars to modify a custom skylight to meet IBC/IRC? BY the was this is over a pool, if that makes any differnce.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Coffee Conversations - Banner Ad - Maximizing Solar Rooftop Durability (Sponsored by Georgia-Pacific)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad