User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Off Topic: Addiction.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

pgriz

I've had a number of employees over the years, and a few (maybe more than a few) had signs of substance abuse. I thought I knew about addiction, but in reality, I don't understand it. By chance, I've picked up a book that deals with the subject: "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts" by Dr. Gabor Maté, published by Random House (ISBN 978-0-676-97741-7). In this book, he recounts his experiences as a physician in Vancouver's Downtown East-side, and he looks at addiction, compulsive behaviour, the neurobiology of addiction, and our attitudes towards it. To say that I was ignorant about the subject, is charitable.

By coincidence, I walked through "ground zero" of that area (Hastings and Main) with my family last week, and was astonished at the number of people walking around that were appeared to be homeless, derelict or worse. We weren't harassed, but that could be because we were a few steps behind three city cops on foot patrol. We didn't fit into that place, so we moved on as quickly as we could. We later drove through the same area later and saw even more people on the street. My mother remarked that it was shocking to see that amount of poverty and despair in the heart of one of the country's wealthiest cities.

On the way back home, we stopped at a bookstore at the airport, and I picked out the book mentioned above, mainly because I remembered an interview I heard by the author, on the radio a number of months ago. Reading the book on the flight home, I was surprised that Dr. Maté was describing the very area where we had passed. As I read the book, I was actually appalled at my own ignorance about what the people in that area have lived and experienced (and are continuing to experience). It also showed me that my understanding of addiction and compulsive behaviour is very naive.

So why am I bringing up this topic here? It may help you learn more about the causes and effects of addiction. It may help you get an insight into your own addictions or compulsive behaviours. It may shed some light on a very dark subject. And it may help you understand what anyone who is coping with addiction is going through, or if they have gotten out of it, what an enormous distance they travelled. Hopefully, for most of us, addiction is something that happens to someone else. But if we've been touched by it, this book may give some useful insights. >>>

October 1, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.

CIAK

Me thinks this might esplain da problem .....?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6TEDuDD3Zs&feature=player_embedded Of course you have to listen to cartooned characters to believe it. Maybe not so far off arguing with weird fully tattooed people . Which leads to more interesting questions about flesh and carnal control over it in a imagination of madness . Oh well " i dunno "

October 1, 2009 at 3:46 p.m.

kage

So you believe you were a monkey?....and you believe in theorys,..i guess the monkey part would eh?...

October 1, 2009 at 1:45 p.m.
October 1, 2009 at 8:01 a.m.

kage

Matthew 25:31-46 is another way of putting it,I know one thing,if ya accept Him into your life the only question you will be askin yourself is "What took me so long?"And Copperman you asked when was its fullfilment it says in verse 1 "At that time the Kingdom of Heaven WILL be like..."

October 1, 2009 at 7:23 a.m.

kage

If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour you are like the unprepared ones,when the Lord returns it will be to late to recieve Him as your Lord and Saviour or when you die there are no more choices,this parable is about you and I,the prepared ones have accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour...Jesus teaches the necessity of preparedness for His return.He compares the Second Coming to a joyful wedding procession in which the unprepared cannot participate...ya got till your last breath to make up your mind...but who knows when your last breath will be...eh?.. :dry:

October 1, 2009 at 4:53 a.m.

jfreynik

So what does Matthew 1-13 mean? What's it talking about and who? When was it's fulfillment?

September 30, 2009 at 8:40 p.m.

kage

CIAK Said: THE PARABLE OF THE TEN VIRGINS Mr Moron to you knaves .......... 1 At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise.

3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.

4 The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.

5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 At midnight the cry rang out: Heres the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!

7 Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.

8 The foolish ones said to the wise, Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.

9 No, they replied, there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.

10 But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 Later the others also came. Sir! Sir! they said. Open the door for us!

12 But he replied, I tell you the truth, I dont know you.

13 Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

Matthew 25:1-13... :side:

September 30, 2009 at 4:59 p.m.

CIAK

Or saving the best for last One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm. Here's how it went:

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not

September 30, 2009 at 2:39 p.m.

CIAK

THE PARABLE OF THE TEN VIRGINS Mr Moron to you knaves .......... 1 "At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.

2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise.

3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.

4 The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.

5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.

6 "At midnight the cry rang out: 'Here's the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!'

7 "Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.

8 The foolish ones said to the wise, 'Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.'

9 " 'No,' they replied, 'there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.'

10 "But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut.

11 "Later the others also came. 'Sir! Sir!' they said. 'Open the door for us!'

12 "But he replied, 'I tell you the truth, I don't know you.'

13 "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.

September 29, 2009 at 9:19 p.m.

kage

Hebrews 13:5-6 "Keep your life free from love of money,and be content with what you have,for He has said I will never leave you nor forsake you.So we can confidently say;

The Lord is my helper, I will not fear, what can man do to me?"

Honesty always comes out on top..always,Lie and your no different from them..

September 29, 2009 at 8:02 a.m.

kage

minnesotaroofin Said:

Or you can tell me why he wants us to follow him?

Relationship..

September 28, 2009 at 10:12 p.m.

kage

Evolution,what you believe there was a big bang and what a tomatoe plant started growing or what we were monkeys once now were human??..well tell me something all the monkeys around today, what..future humans?...How can you say you believe in the bible and evolution..your missing something.God doesnt punish He disiplines..but there is consequences to are actions and choices.If everybody just went to Heaven when they died no matter what they have done..Then Jesus died on the cross for nothin,but He did die for something,Our Sins but we still have to make a choice...Him or the enemy..

September 28, 2009 at 5:47 a.m.

tico

I was taught tha God was not punishing.part of punishment is judgment.no child left behind.

September 26, 2009 at 12:09 p.m.

kage

"May He guide your hearts into ever deeper understanding of His love" 2 Thess.3:5 This is a guidance which is always valid-a guidance into a deeper understanding of His love for you.His love put one way "loves me into loving and forgives me into forgiving".Note- The statement doesnt say "He commands me into loving."or "He advises me into loving,"but "He loves me into loving"-the word of Love becomes flesh...

September 26, 2009 at 11:45 a.m.

Mike H

MNroofin,

It was a collection of thoughts from years of reading. Start with Romans 14:11, then move to Revelation, and tell me if that sounds like a God is willing to share the spotlight with other, if that sounds like a God that says "Well you had that nice, warm fuzzy attitude, so OK, I'll let you in."

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

TAMKO - Banner Ad - Titan Product of the Year
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder