User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Job offers?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Robby the Roofer

I have three job offers on the table for roofing companies in our area, It is nice to be wanted, but not sure which one I should take. Can anyone offer advice?

A. This company will offer me $29 an hr to QC their roofers for the entire project. -No benefits offered at all -5 miles from my house and I drive my own truck -Project will last only 6 months as this company is primarily a siding contractor who recieved the roofing contract by defalt.

B. This company will offer me $20 an hr with a $500 signing bonus to QC their three roofing crews. -No benefits at all -I will be issued a company truck, cannot take the truck home -The shop is 2 miles from my house -I had been laid off before with this company previously

C. This company works nationally and is offering my $25 an hr, mileage, per-dim, and a host of other small tidbits. -I will have to travel out of state to achieve full time hrs, and spend most of my time away from the familly -Use my own truck where ever I go -Paid vacation after 1 yr -Medical plan is available, but at a high cost -This is a service position that can lead to future mgmt position -Most of my cost will have to be up front and reimbursed later

What would you do?????

December 16, 2009 at 12:51 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I am in Tacoma...too far away from Alabama...but a short skip from Seattle.

December 16, 2009 at 3:40 a.m.

OLE Willie

Not exactly heaven but it pays the bills! :)

December 15, 2009 at 8:02 p.m.

tinner666

Sounds like Heaven Willie!

December 15, 2009 at 6:39 p.m.

OLE Willie

Southern suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama.( Lots of white collar professionals who are our primary customers) Duties would include selling repairs then either communicating with my roofers to get them done or do them yourself and any warranty issues that may arise. We warranty all repairs for 1 year. So no liquid flashing. We bid everything to do the high end repair not the cheap quick fix. That is what most all of our customers want as they live in nice homes/subdivisions and keep them up well. A fair amount of steep slope jobs would be involved. Most roofers around here are not too keen so the job is definately secure.

December 15, 2009 at 3:05 p.m.

robert

Northern Alabama somewhere?

December 15, 2009 at 9:55 a.m.

Robby the Roofer

"Willie"....Where are you located? :dry:

December 15, 2009 at 12:52 a.m.

OLE Willie

Ok Robby last offer! lol 20% of all repair sales you make. An additional 20% if you perform the work yourself. But i have roofers to do the ones you dont want to do. Or don't have time to do. Prove your the man for the job and within 6 months you'll have company truck, cell phone, health insurance, your own office and a 401k. Guaranteed minimum pay every week rain, sleet or shine. Did I mention a nice Christmas Bonus every year? lol P.S. We do between 200-300 repairs per year, work in the high end areas of the suburbs only, most jobs are referrals and we aint cheap. lol

December 14, 2009 at 11:18 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Had a preliminary phone conversation with Job A, they may not go with a QC. Now they are looking at a team leader type to roof and Qc at the same time. Not too keen on the idea of doing production work again. With a "team leader" title, they may attempt to pay less.

Job C: Had a phone conversation this a.m. and it seems to me that all of the work will be out of town for quit some time (somewhere in Texas)as there is little to do here (pac NW)

Job B: Had a sit down with the owner this morning, he has a long term plan for his company and thinks I can play a major part in what he will want to do. Still offering the $500 sign on bonus, but because of the economy, he will be adding to his overhead. He still does not want to pay more than $20 an hr, I used the $24 hr job offer as leverage. I asked him to meet me in the middle at $22 and keep everything on the table, and that I will leave to talk to the wife ablut it. He accepted the agreement.

December 14, 2009 at 10:17 a.m.

JET

Negotiate.........try to get what YOU need not what they want to offer. Oh yea, keep looking too.

JET

December 14, 2009 at 2:19 a.m.

OLE Willie

Hey Robby, Heres you another option. Just relocate to the south and I will put you to work running the repair department. Im getting old! Whadda you say? :unsure:

December 13, 2009 at 4:53 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Job C will be in the southern midwest. I will drive my own truck but the compensation to travel will be double what it will actually cost me, and will be there for about 3-5 months. After that, I could be sent home or travel to another state to fulfill projects.

My heart says C, because "it's what have been looking for!"

Common sence tells me B, because it is the safest bet.

December 12, 2009 at 11:01 p.m.

OLE Willie

In these times you should be extremely grateful that not only do have a job. You have THREE jobs! If it were me ( unless there are circumstance unknown ) I would re-take job B. They are very close to your home and you won't have to spend hardly anything to drive to work and just pick up the company truck. If they want to hire you back then i suspect that they value your skills more than you probably think becuase of being laid off in the past. If they want you back they like your abilities. They must of been put to the test and had little choice when they laid you off before. I would give it another go. P.S. Being with your family is more important than any of the 3. jmho :)

December 12, 2009 at 4:50 p.m.

egg

Yep. Actually comes out as a similar projection to C but with more immediate action and way less carrot. (C: "Here, dig my ditch and I'll nominate you for President next election time. Your family can handle things without you.) Only thing is that B is a known quantity and you may like that better. Nice to be able to pick and choose, though. Treat them all with respect and you may be able to get back to one of the others later if the one you pick plays out badly.

December 12, 2009 at 2:40 p.m.

jcagle9595

Option A, and propose to head a roofing division for them after this job is done, for a sweeter piece of the action of course.

December 12, 2009 at 1:49 p.m.

robert

Draw straws and the take job a! :laugh:

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - TPO- Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar