English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Insurance And OSHA Question

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Ed The Roofer

As long as I am on a roll seeking out ways to fully utilize the value of required scope of work items to the line item scenario, here is one that I have never seen applied for and compensated for.

OSHA requires either a fall arrest or eave edge toe board safety system or a safety monitor from a Competent Man, qualified via OSHA Certification.

I am not referring to steep slope or 2 story projects, but a one story which exceeds the minimum height requirement from ground to eave.

Even those walk on pitches require safety guidelines, but are never line itemed for additional compensation, because they are never requested to be implemented.

For a separate Safety Monitor, you would be able to comply with OSHA regulations and should be compensated for the additional man hours for his Certified Monitoring Skills.

Would that be a correct assumption?

Ed>>>

April 14, 2009 at 10:40 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Youall did jest qwite a good enuf job ther Mr. Egg.

Ed>>>

April 14, 2009 at 10:38 p.m.

egg

lol. When Tom does that I always think it sounds kinda cute. Yer rite for that example. It jus dont come so unnaturally for me I kinda get all confused about how to do it right to make it really wrong the bestest.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 10:24 p.m.

Mike H

Well if weeze gonna be freekin' word police, I gotsta say egg, it sure wooda sounded better iffin u'da said "unskilledless" instead of ununskilled.

Besides, can you really tell me that irregardless bothers you as much as people that don't know the flippin difference between the words "then" and "than"?

;)>>>

April 14, 2009 at 10:09 p.m.

egg

Regardless of any other considerations & etc., you deserve a little round of applause for using your mind to penetrate these mysteries, Ed. You know this, of course, but nobody else seems to be giving you the nod you deserve, so let me do it here. They play the game that way so why shouldn't we play the whole game, not just the segment they point us in. By the way, thank you for using the word 'regardless' instead of the currently normal 'irregardless.' That also shows attention to detail. For any who wonders what the heck I'm talking about, just start with 'regard.' Everybody knows what regard is. Regardless is its opposite. Putting an 'irr' in front of that turns it back into regard. Like 'reverent' and 'irreverent.' or 'rational' and 'irrational.' It would be like starting with the word, 'skilled.' Then we go to 'unskilled.' Then we go to 'ununskilled?' What they heck would that exactly mean I wonder? Not necessarily skilled. Twilight zone for the mind. How about this: Mind. Mindless. Irrmindless. But then usually you just get, "you know what I mean." 'Not too shabby," I understand completely. "Irregardless" just scratches the blackboard.>>>

April 14, 2009 at 6:29 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

I said in one of the earlier posts, that it would be an, "Either/Or" option.

Ed>>>

April 14, 2009 at 5:07 p.m.

Rozziroofer

In the situation ur describing u would need one or the other not both unless someone is in fact outside the barriers.>>>

April 13, 2009 at 8:22 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Rozziroofer Said: Ed, i think you need to re-check the osha rules.

Jed (with chit still on ur face) For all my key points its ROZZI not Mac. I would like for my credits to go to me not whoever u r referring to as Mac.

Do you have something to point out?

Ed>>>

April 13, 2009 at 6:10 p.m.

Rozziroofer

Ed, i think you need to re-check the osha rules.

Jed (with chit still on ur face) For all my key points its ROZZI not Mac. I would like for my credits to go to me not whoever u r referring to as Mac.>>>

April 13, 2009 at 9:22 a.m.

Mike H

HOP,

It is an "additional" duty, insomuch as you do not need a monitor unless someone is outside the flagged perimeter, or if a roof is less than 50' wide, there are no flags then a monitor is a full-time requirement. If the monitor is needed, monitoring is to be his ONLY DUTY.

On a steep slope, defined as anything over 4/12, my guys are 100% fall arrest, so a monitor is not an issue, and I don't know what the requirements may be with lesser arrangements.>>>

April 12, 2009 at 3:02 p.m.

TomB

"legitimacy" is an oxymoron phrase, (lefitimate goes out the window/is only as perceived, where insurance companies are concerned), when coupled w/ins. co.s......

That's enough for me.....>>>

April 12, 2009 at 2:25 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

No, I don't, but why would that make a difference?

Your point does not make any sense though, regardless. The Contractor in charge, whether a GC or stand alone Roofing Contractor is ultimately responsible for the crew working under his direction.

The point of this thread topic is to capitalize on all available and legitimately compensated line items in the claims process.

Ed>>>

April 12, 2009 at 1:38 p.m.

TomB

Hmmm; Lemme guess.....You have "subs" that install roofs too....>>>

April 12, 2009 at 1:15 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

TomB Said: Most contract agreements include verbage to the effect that you will complete the work as per applicable governing agencies. In any event, a court would most-likely find following OSHA requirements would be implied,as it would be an illegal act not to. Your proposed, line-item extra, is extremely weak...It would be like charging , a line item extra), for employer FICA contrabutions for your payroll...

Not true when you see an insurance claim writ up.

If what you say where true, then why do they have a line item for installing shingles, for re-setting pipe boot flashings, for removing X amount of layers of shingles, for replacing each individual static air vent, etc...

Every task and job requirement necessitates a separate line item description and appropriate fee to be applied.

They do account for slide guards, (Toe-Boards), specifically on Steeper Roof Slopes, so if what your line of reasoning would indicate were factual, they would not have any need to add that in to the cost of the job for the Steeper Slopes either.

Per OSHA, any eave edge above 6 feet from the ground requires additional safety procedures.

Ed>>>

April 12, 2009 at 11:50 a.m.

TomB

Most contract agreements include verbage to the effect that you will complete the work as per applicable governing agencies. In any event, a court would most-likely find following OSHA requirements would be "implied",as it would be an illegal act not to. Your proposed, "line-item" "extra", is extremely weak...It would be like charging , a "line item extra), for employer FICA contrabutions for your payroll...>>>

April 12, 2009 at 8:44 a.m.

Roof Doctors USA

I thought that safety monitor was an additional duty not an exclusive duty.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Wind
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Roofers Coffee Shop Sidebar Banner Ad Digital Modifleece 250x265
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad