User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

#1 Med Shakes_Labor Cost_New Construction

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Clover

lanny Said: ---We charge around that amount. I dont like putting shakes on that some contactor bought. Usually contractors buy the cheapest garbage on the market. It adds to the labor costs when we have to install lots of pencils. ---I only install shakes that I get from a broker on the Canadian border. 100% edgegrain and most are 2-pack. I also use ASTM liner. It just isnt worth messing around to save only a few bucks. ---Nowadays we usually install CCA treated shakes. Lanny

Care to share that brokers contact info? I'm getting quotes for 80% 2 pack at $229.00>>>

May 14, 2009 at 7:42 a.m.

wywoody

The underweight felt used to have two little words on the label right above the big 30 lb. printed on it. In print so small you had to look for it, it said 'substitute for'.>>>

May 14, 2009 at 7:10 a.m.

TomB

Most felt carries an ASTM #........ ASTM D226 is the good stuff..I believe the thinner stuff is D 4869/something like that. In these parts the term "ASTM felt" is referencing the D226...... We had to special order the D226 when we first arrived here in Colorado, (1992),....The suppliers didn't even stock it or know the difference!!!!!>>>

May 13, 2009 at 1:41 a.m.

egg

We used to get ten bucks a square to hand-nail shakes. That included felting, flashing, nailing them on, and clean-up. That was in the early seventies. Still, you could make eighty bucks a day that way which back then was definitely not nothing. Shakes cost about thirty dollars a square. Just about everything has gone up by a factor of ten. There's your hundred. I could live on it.>>>

May 12, 2009 at 6:12 p.m.

jfreynik

Lanny what's ASTM liner? I wonder how many guys know what 2 pack means? I do. I use Prime cut CCA treated only.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey