English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
USG - Sidebar - Fire
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

#1 Med Shakes_Labor Cost_New Construction

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Clover

I would like to get some feedback on what others charge for # 1 Med Shake installation Just labor cost for new construction. We start out at around $100.00 a Square for up to 6/12. flashing, ice and water Etc is extra. All materials supplied by builder. We are in the midwest. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.>>>

January 14, 2024 at 11:02 a.m.

dylancazaly

Med Shakes, with its focus on labor cost efficiency in new construction, stands out as a game-changer in the industry. Their innovative approach addresses the complexities of labor costs, optimizing construction processes without compromising quality. For those embarking on new construction projects, particularly in Daytona Beach, the expertise shared by Med Shakes aligns seamlessly with the commitment to excellence upheld by professionals in the construction sector. To explore how Med Shakes can streamline labor costs and enhance efficiency in your new construction endeavors, visit daytonabeachconcretecontractors.com. This platform serves as a valuable resource to connect with local experts and integrate solutions that prioritize both affordability and quality in the dynamic landscape of new construction.

May 22, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

Clover

Thanks everyone for your input. just for reference How about some input on what you would do Laminates for on this job? (Labor) I'm trying to figure out a cost for my region. Ken@newroofnebraska.com>>>

May 20, 2009 at 10:58 p.m.

Clover

lanny Said: I think $500 is a bit rich especially on a new construction job. New construction around here is pretty competative and the contractors I bid are tight with money. I just wouldnt get the job at $500. I would do it for $200-250 gladly. I might have to bid the flashing detail T & I as I cannot see how much is involved there. Generally with one helper I try to make $1,000/day labor. I figure my helper gets $250; I get $500 and my company overhead is $250. That is just a rule of thumb I use to bid some jobs. I can generally predict how many days a job will take and I use this formula on occasion when it is too difficult to bid by the square. Between the two of us I cannot see how we could not get on 5 sq/day average even with the cut up. Lanny

Same here They wouldn't even consider $500.00 a square around here. I think I'll loose money if I go any less then $200.00 +extras, flashing, I&W ETC. Thanks for your input.>>>

May 20, 2009 at 2:53 p.m.

jfreynik

Located in northeast PA. The more I look at it the more I realize I probably under bid, when you have to go back and install I&S and do all the counter flashing in the brick(I missed that). :ohmy:>>>

May 20, 2009 at 1:58 p.m.

Clover

Jed Said: Copperman suggests $500sq for all labor costs, then the shakes are $229. That brings the cost to $729 sq.....

Boy I wish we could get that kind of money here. Cooperman where are you located? need a partner :unsure: LOL>>>

May 20, 2009 at 7:22 a.m.

Jed

Copperman suggests $500sq for all labor costs, then the shakes are $229. That brings the cost to $729 sq.....>>>

May 20, 2009 at 7:19 a.m.

Clover

wywoody Said: I dont see any counterflashing coming out of the brick, is it there? You mention Ice & Water shield, will you have to pull up the underlayment to install it?

My liability insurance doesnt allow me to work on multifamily, so thats a project I would have had to pass on.

Nope no counter flashing yet, they have built a bunch of these units and none are flashed/counter flashed correctly. that's why they called me ;) Not to mention the crappy facia / soffit work. All of the previous units have leaked or have had blow off due to improper faster length. and yes to properly install I&W the underlayment needs to be dealt with.>>>

May 20, 2009 at 7:01 a.m.

wywoody

I don't see any counterflashing coming out of the brick, is it there? You mention Ice & Water shield, will you have to pull up the underlayment to install it?

My liability insurance doesn't allow me to work on multifamily, so that's a project I would have had to pass on.>>>

May 19, 2009 at 10:03 p.m.

Clover

Copperman Said: Theres a lot of work on this one. I see several dead end valleys that need metal. You better be way more then $100.00 a square for this one the way its cut up and its also a full 2 storys high or better. I would be at $500.00 for the wood plus labor for the metal work

Thanks for the input, Exactly what I'm after. Anyone else what to chim in? >>>

May 19, 2009 at 6:06 p.m.

jfreynik

There's a lot of work on this one. I see several dead end valleys that need metal. You better be way more then $100.00 a square for this one the way it's cut up and it's also a full 2 story's high or better. I would be at $500.00 for the wood plus labor for the metal work>>>

May 19, 2009 at 2:54 p.m.

Clover

Clover Said: I would like to get some feedback on what others charge for # 1 Med Shake installation Just labor cost for new construction. We start out at around $100.00 a Square for up to 6/12. flashing, ice and water Etc is extra. All materials supplied by builder. We are in the midwest. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I'm still negotiating this job. Here are pics of front, back. 4 Eyebrows cannot be seed on the front pic How would you bid it? Ken@newroofnebraska.com>>>

May 17, 2009 at 11:39 a.m.

egg

Of the total number of domes I've done, the earliest in the mid-seventies, the comp ones outnumber the wood ones about ten to one. They all seem to last about the same amount of time, but they all go well over 20 yrs. My first wood shake job went about thirty. Replaced it not too awfully long ago. I can still hack it, but I'm getting a little too old to be stretching and straining and climbing around all day on them. It's pretty exhausting now. Fortunately I no longer do too many of them. They peaked out in the eighties. I haven't actually seen any new ones going up in a very long time. What has added to their longevity and performance now on the ones I do is that in the last twenty years I have gotten a lot more sophisticated and skilled with sheet metal parts and the whole craft in general so I have a much better grasp of what will wear out, why, and more options to defend against that. The challenges keep me going.>>>

May 17, 2009 at 8:18 a.m.

wywoody

I know of about a half-dozen geo-domes around here. None had their original roof on for very long and most now have some kind of a spray-on roof. Some of the ones that had wood originally used trim on the hips, some didn't.>>>

May 17, 2009 at 12:20 a.m.

egg

I'm doing one right now, but all we are allowed to use are Class B fire-treated over glasscap. My labor nets out over a thousand a square, but it's a geodesic dome full of extra details. Took over a week just to clad the canopies. I miss the days of wood roofing, the smell, the way they fit, the hand-nailing. Had to recondition my old strippers for it. Regrind and hone the axes. I love it. Once you have it, it's a knack you never completely lose. We're not stick-nailing on this one though. No decent runs on it to get your rhythm up and not enough good places to sit comfortably.>>>

May 16, 2009 at 2:02 p.m.

CIAK

Mr. Robert Allen Zimmerman :

The line, it is drawn, the curse, it is cast The slow one will later be fast And the present now will soon be the past The order is rapidly fading The first one now will later be last For the times, they are a changing

Nough said Dylan>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad