Français

User Access

CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
EVERROOF - Sidebar - Podcast Training - Dec 2023
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What is "good enough?"

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

On the line snapping thread I mentioned this and I think it deserves its own thread.

When you roof, what is your standard for quality, and WHO determines it? Do you lead or do you follow?

October 5, 2017 at 7:59 p.m.

Lefty1

Good enough is when I gave the customer the best value I can for the budget they have. Plus a little extra.

October 4, 2017 at 6:29 p.m.

Chuck2

For me "good enough" is responding to all phone calls in a timely manner ( preferably when the phone is ringing and not having to call back though this is not always possible ) , meeting with every potential client personally, thoroughly evaluating the problem as in doing my best to forsee all potential problems that might arise and being prepared for such beforehand, coming up with the best solution and setting the job up to be done in that way, listening to their concerns and doing everything in my power to set their minds at ease, matching the brands and colors as best as can be done. Ideally EXACT when possible, Personally performing the work to ensure that what I said would be done gets done and that it gets done the way I said it would and when I said it would., making and keeping all appointments. And when all is finally done I always ask "Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

I could go on and on trying to describe what is "good enough" but basically for me, anything less than the above is "not good enough".  I understand that many companies can not do some of the things above like meeting every client personally or performing the work personally that's just how I roll!   :)

October 2, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.

vickie

Bump

January 21, 2010 at 2:32 p.m.

soldierboy

I suppose good enough would be walking away from a job with no debris in the yard, siding is as clean as when you got there, gutters are clean and operable, Ice and water shield was tucked behind the gutter, Drip edge metal was used, Starters where offset from one another, all the manufacture specs where achieved, no debris left on the roof, plastic strips removed from all of your cuts, ice and water shield sandwiches the valley area and around all penetrations, chimney was not straight but cut in using a riglet and done according to specs in the industry, and last but not least THE OWNER PAYS FOR HIS ROOF ENTIRELY...

I have my own set of standards but over the years I have had to take in to account our foreman's standards. As long as the roof is completed according to the manufacture specs. Why sweat the small stuff that will never get noticed? A good roof that doesn't leak and looks aesthetically pleasing to the homeowner is good enough..

January 21, 2010 at 7:21 a.m.

Jed

Lanny, Depends where you are I suppose. I would'nt dream of doing a roof without edge metal, and up north you gotta have it for use in conjunction with I+W shield.

January 20, 2010 at 7:12 p.m.

tinner666

Nice John.

January 15, 2010 at 7:43 p.m.

johnny5

Good points lanny I adhere to a system for "boilerplate residential". We always install roofing the same way. We use the upgraded products much like you described, as needed. I will never disagree,however, with a homeowner about an upgrade he wants after I have explained why I think he doesn't need it.

January 14, 2010 at 8:19 p.m.

Old School

All very valid points. I strive to strengthen the "weakest link"

January 13, 2010 at 8:58 p.m.

Old School

Woody, it is often the things that we do even if no one is looking that make the difference. Well done!

January 13, 2010 at 8:03 a.m.

wywoody

I have developed my system over the years. It amounts to a many small things I do differently. I run a vertical chalkline to make sure the tile is laid square, even on shake tile. I make an extra miter cut on the trim where it meets at the top of a hip. Even though tile specs allow a variety of flashing options, I always go with the option that keeps water above the tile even though most are more labor intensive. I blend the tile while loading and never have color blotches. I was using antiponding metal on almost all jobs for 10 years before it was required. I use 6v valley, while most competitors use 5v or single v. My underlayment upgrades are different than my competitors. I clean all cutting dust stains off the tile.............

I rarely even tell potential customers of these differences, I just do them because they are MY standards.

January 13, 2010 at 7:02 a.m.

Old School

We have all seen roofs where they "racked" the shingles straight up the roof with a 6" offset and never bothrered to strike any lines. It is not uncommon to look down the rows and see a 2 to 4 inch "wah wah" in the rows. Even if they pull a line at the top to straighten them out so they look straight from the ground, this would not be acceptable to me. I like to see the rows all be parrallel to each other and there is no reason in my mind that there should be more than a 1/4" deflection from straight on anything.

When nailing or stapling, even on the Certain Teed shingles where they have the "wide track" I like to see the fasteners evenly spaced across the whole length of the shingle and within the "small" lines that they "recomend" for best performance. Nails should be driven "flat" and not cutting into the shingle. The bottom shingle should overhang the drip edge about 3/8 to 1/2" That would be "good enough" for us!

January 12, 2010 at 11:19 p.m.

pgriz

Good enough... is when you deliver to your customer's expectation. The trick to to make sure you and your customer have the same expectation.

January 11, 2010 at 1:14 a.m.

OLE Willie

I'll just say that all my roofers always complained about me making them do things the best possible way. You know how roofers are. They are like poker players. Everyone thinks their the best that ever lived. Its an Ego thing! lol

January 10, 2010 at 7:09 p.m.

Old School

I guess that says quite a bit!

January 10, 2010 at 4:24 p.m.

copperman

Heres your pic john

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Coffee Conversations - Banner Ad - Brewing Support for K9s For Warriors!
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest