User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Leap - Sidebar - CTS + EV Giveaway - May 24
The GLO Group - Sidebar Ad - FEBRUARY Option2-Optimized
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Buesiness Accelerator Roundtables
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What is "good enough?"

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

Those are certainly good things to look for, and something that all of us should do. I would say that those ae the minimum basics to make oursleves happy and to make the customer happy. Has anyone ever done anything "spectacular" or over the top to impress the customer. The extra details and such. I know that one guy always put a metal "bird" on the gutter of his jobs. Some guys will always paint the soil pipes to match the shingles. Does anyone have a "signature" that they leave on their jobs to show that it was theirs?

January 9, 2010 at 9:20 p.m.

Old School

Boy Frank, when you think of it, that is pretty profound. "Hopefully never see the light of day" If we do it right, it will not leak and it never should be "uncovered" It is what we do when no one is looking that will really make a difference in the long run!

January 9, 2010 at 8:46 p.m.

tinner666

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said: Of course I will be talking about roofing membranes in my case, Good enough is; It doesnt leak, and wont leak in the future All seam lines are straight and parallel seams are facing away from the prevailing wind if possible seams are facing away from upstairs windows no footprints visible the customer is happy with the job

of less importance but still relevant is that the manufacurers rep. can come on the roof and find no faults. The reason this is of less a priority is that thier standards ( from what I have seen) are lower than mine. :dry:

The same for me. But I don't think I ever got one perfect. Most of what I do for quality is hidden and may never see the light of day, hopefully.

January 9, 2010 at 8:38 p.m.

TomB

Good response Mike! I think that sums it up for a lot of us.

I might add that individual aesthetic perceptions don't always determine the quality of the work.

January 9, 2010 at 6:51 p.m.

Mike H

Kind of depends on the system, the customer, what were the priorities of the customer, was it bid, negotiated, premium or bargain basement.

We do systems of all types and shapes for customers with long term vision and shoestring customers just trying to get by for a while.

What I have found though, is that our shoe-string system is likely to be as good as, or better than the "premium" that many of my competitors will sell. My bare minimums are manufacturer's spec's.

I posted a job with lots of pics last spring. It was a very difficult job. Both the consultant and the mfr's inspector gave my Supt. a round of applause when they finished the inspection. They aren't all perfect, but we try real hard to do it right.

January 9, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.

Old School

Copperman. Nice stuff, Yeah, I would say that would count!

Craftesman Good point. After the basics are taken care of, it is definetly a lot of little things that makes the whole better. continual improvement

January 9, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.

copperman

It's good enough when you can look back with pride and say I did that.

January 9, 2010 at 3:14 p.m.

craftesman

i try to do everything like it was my house. i do a lot of little things that nobody see to make the job better-ice guard around chimney and such. a good job brings nothing but referals and more jobs. a clean job site is a big plus in my book. leave the grounds like you found them-no little pieces of shingles or nails in the yard or bushes.

January 9, 2010 at 1:05 p.m.

Old School

Sounds like the manufacturers have minimum standards and you have "Mike" or "Maximum" standards. I know looking at pictures of your work over these last few years, that I would have absolutely no misgivings about having you do work on one of my buildings.

Quality pays in the long and the short run. If we can see that; and we can, so can the average consumer. If all other things are equal, the average consumer is going to opt for higher over lower quality and we will get the work. There is more value there, and ultimately that is what we all want.

January 9, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.

Old School

This thread and the Quality control thread go hand in hand, BUT I would like to keep them seperate if possible because they are two different things. If I understand your post, yours is a visual determination, and there has to be some time lag to see if it performs "perfectly" If your customer was blind, how would they know that the job was "close" to perfect?

January 9, 2010 at 10:42 a.m.

johnny5

I try to be perfect and usually wind up pretty close to that. It should look perfect and must perform perfectly. I determine when it is time to say job well done, check please.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Elevate - Banner Ad - The Future is Calling (2024)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Kool Seal - Sidebar - Sales Rep - May 24
USG - Sidebar - Fire