User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Worth it or not?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

OLE Willie

Under "normal" circumstances all i have to do to place an order for materials is type it up on the computer and fax it to the supplier. But lately there has been a big time price competition in my area with many not so scrupulous contractors even using 2nd rate material in order to undercut everyone for jobs. Add to that uneducated ( concerining hiring for construction/roofing jobs ) and stubborn homeowners and price is now a major issue. Always has been really but much more now than before. Anyways, the local Home Depot has GAF on sale for 25% off which adds up to about 15 bucks a square savings from all the rest of the first grade material suppliers. The draw backs are #1 you can not call and ask if they have what you need. Well, you can but if you try this supposedly simple measure you have my best wishes! lol So you need to go to a H.D. location and see if they have it for yourself. If they dont then another and another. There are 6 locations in my metro area. lol This can consume a lot of time and fuel. But it doesnt stop there. When/If you ever find what you need then you have to make the order there and fill out all kinds of ( in my opinion )unnecessary paperwork. Everytime! lol Also they have no idea what you are telling them that you need. Especially concerning accessories. So you must go get 1 of each item and bring it up front or else get the skew numbers. lol If you dont then it will take what seems like eternity to fill the order. The deliverys were going good however until the insanity started this past weekend and continued all week. lol First i was out of state last weekend and had placed an order the day before i left. They called me on a Saturday while i was eating lunch lol and informed me that they could not deliver the order because it was over 25 miles and it would be an extra 12 bucks that would have to be paid before they would make the delivery. LMAOOO It was a $5,000 ORDER! ROFL. I did not have any credit cards or anything with me and no one to go down and pay. I was 300 miles away. Finally i talked to a manager and they said FK it, then they would make the delivery. So nightmare #1 ended there. 3 days later i spent 4 hours at 2 seperate H.D. locations making two seperate orders. The last one took until almost 9 p.m. I did this so my crew could work the next day. Well when my guys went to pick up the materials the next morning they would not let my guys have the material because they couldnt find the paperwork where i made the order. lol I was unavailable for about the next 3 hours and everyone said to heck with it finally and they all went home for the day. I had to go down there and straighten out the whole mess. End of nightmare #2. Then just this morning i had a $7,500 order sheduled and they couldnt find the waiver that i had to sign in order for them to place the material anywhere except curbside! ha ha. This gigantic steep roof was wayyyyyy up on a hill and it was 90 sq. lol That would of been a nightmare. Again i was unavailable but fortunately they got in touch with my wife and faxed her a waiver and she filled it out and faxed it back. I've saved a lot of money on materials in the last couple months since this sale has been on but dang it man. I guess its worth it but im not really sure. Because my sanity has value also if you know what i mean. Theres already enough insanity in this business without this kind of ridiculous B.S. !!!! I know nobody will be able to tell due to this post but im actually grateful for the sale with all the price increases for roofing materials lately but geez this is long way from just sending over a fax and moving on with other things. lol>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July