User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Wood Deck Repair

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Roof Doctors USA

Here is some of the the verbiage I use in my reroof contracts.

• Tear off the existing roofing materials down to the Roof Deck. • Haul away all debris including disposal fees. • Repair decking as needed. (The cost of replacing wood is $3.50/Sq. Ft. and will be billed as an extra charge over and above the contract price listed below.) • Re-nail the existing decking. Strengthen or correct roof-decking attachments as required by Florida Statute 553.844 (2)(b) 4. (Because the size of the nails, number of nails, and nail spacing of the existing roof decking will be unknown until the roof covering is removed, we cannot determine the exact scope of the repairs that will be necessary to bring the structure into compliance. Therefore, the cost of compliance will be billed as an extra charge over and above the contract price billed at a rate of $45 per Man/Hr. plus the cost of materials.)

The deck replacement provisions cover my expenses very nicely. If there is a lot of deck replacement, I usually significantly discount the rate. For example, last week we started reroofing a house with a 4,900 Sq. Ft. flat roof addition. I called an engineer to look at the roof to wall attachment and he suggested to the home owner that we resheet the tongue and grove decking with 3/4 plywood. We used 160 sheets of plywood. That's 5120 sq. ft. of plywood. At $3.50 per sq. ft. the bill would be nearly $18K extra. That seems a little excessive.

How would you guys bill for the wood work? >>>

July 29, 2009 at 11:19 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

lanny Said: ---We charge $35/sheet for 1/2 inch ply. We drop it some if it gets beyond 20 sheets. But we are usually $100/sq for resheeting over skip so $35/sheet is pretty close. ---We have been burned on that a few times where there was a lot of real messy dryrot that had to be removed, cleaned up, hauled away, etc. It took 2x as long to remove the old than install the new. However, by and large we do well on most repairs. We do 5-10 sheets in an hour often and we always carry wood with us so it is just a routine operation. Lanny

Lanny,

You are just letting a whole bunch of potential profit fly by you without grabbing on to it.

You could easily write $1.50 per square foot in your contract and get $48.00 per sheet instead of $35.00

It is an item that rarely gets questioned.

As you yourself said, sometime it takes longer than expected and you had to eat it. Set it up, that even if the worst case scenario occurs, you still make a profit every single time.

It is not a sin to make a little extra money.

Ed>>>

July 28, 2009 at 5:31 p.m.

robert

Anywhere from a $2.00 a square foot up depending on the application,we do a lot of redecks and are currently doing one now.>>>

July 28, 2009 at 1:57 p.m.

Jed

Was that resheet OVER the existing.....or rip and replace?>>>

July 28, 2009 at 10:57 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

Roof Doctors USA Said: Here is some of the the verbiage I use in my reroof contracts.

• Tear off the existing roofing materials down to the Roof Deck. • Haul away all debris including disposal fees. • Repair decking as needed. (The cost of replacing wood is $3.50/Sq. Ft. and will be billed as an extra charge over and above the contract price listed below.) • Re-nail the existing decking. Strengthen or correct roof-decking attachments as required by Florida Statute 553.844 (2)(b) 4. (Because the size of the nails, number of nails, and nail spacing of the existing roof decking will be unknown until the roof covering is removed, we cannot determine the exact scope of the repairs that will be necessary to bring the structure into compliance. Therefore, the cost of compliance will be billed as an extra charge over and above the contract price billed at a rate of $45 per Man/Hr. plus the cost of materials.)

The deck replacement provisions cover my expenses very nicely. If there is a lot of deck replacement, I usually significantly discount the rate. For example, last week we started reroofing a house with a 4,900 Sq. Ft. flat roof addition. I called an engineer to look at the roof to wall attachment and he suggested to the home owner that we resheet the tongue and grove decking with 3/4 plywood. We used 160 sheets of plywood. Thats 5120 sq. ft. of plywood. At $3.50 per sq. ft. the bill would be nearly $18K extra. That seems a little excessive.

How would you guys bill for the wood work?

Is it wrong to make an excessive profit?

Home Depot listed their plywood replacement costs at $4.00 per square foot.

Mine is at $2.00 per square foot, which winds up being $64.00 per sheet of 1.2" 4-Ply CDX, while everyone else that I see the numbers on are anywhere from $20.00 per sheet to $58.00 per sheet, with the majority around $40.00

Also, I charge around $4.00 per lineal foot for R & R of 1" x 8" plank board decking replacement. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you are piecing in a whole bunch of 2 footers and just making cost for the performance.

Did they sign the contract? If so, then that is what they agreed to. Do they have other jobs coming up for you in the future? If yes, then if you feel guilty about making a premium profit, then you can expedite the payment on this job with a discount offered for the future work. Don't discount what you have already agreed to though.

Well, I take that back. If you price was intended for scattered small cut in pieces and now the entire structure needs 100% you may be able to offer an increased production reward discount for the mass quantity.

Ed>>>

July 28, 2009 at 7:24 a.m.

wywoody

You used about $4,000 worth of plywood. At $45 per hour that means it took 266 hours of labor to install it, about an hour and a half per sheet.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad