English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Winter projects!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

We are down about 20% this year, but we did ok. It is cold and snowy out up here in Michigan now and I have been out in the shop getting ready to do R & D for a few months. I have some cabinets to build, and a few things to fix for my wife. I also have been thinking of building a small scale round cone shaped roof with some fancy moldings and either small pieces of slate or a scalloped wood shingle roof as a display for home shows and to play.

No pressure, a great opportunity to learn and figure out circles and no need to worry about falling or slipping on ice. I am signed up for a couple of classes at the local community college for the winter semester too, so I have a lot of things to keep me busy. Does anyone else like to play like that when things are slow?

December 20, 2009 at 1:19 p.m.

Old School

I have to go out and finish a few projects first and then get with the program. Christmas and New Years aren' going to be much as far as work goes anyway. Might just as well be warm!

December 16, 2009 at 9:16 a.m.

wywoody

Still too much to do to do much playing. Last week I probably worked 30 hours even though it never got above 20. Slowdown to play at least a month away.

Dennis, any pictures of the ball launcher?

December 15, 2009 at 7:59 p.m.

dennis

Had a good year and just about to call it quits till March ish.

Same here with the projects.

This is also the time I start up coaching an event for the local middle school Science Olympiad team. I teach then a little engineering and physics and we build a trajectory/ball launcher. Three years ago we were 1st for that event in the nation. Last year 3rd. Lot of fun.

Plenty to work on business wise too.

Hope to get some hiking in as well.

December 15, 2009 at 7:58 p.m.

tinner666

"Does anyone else like to play like that when things are slow?"

Not since I got married. Just too much bs now.

Jobs are coming in steadily and I've had to turn sevral away. Just too big a load now.

Hint; :dry: not as much fun posting here as it was when we could add/delete-/edit albums back when. :(

December 15, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.

OLE Willie

Slowing down a good bit here with my repair work. Always does around Christmas unless it rains hard. Roof replacements usually slow down also but they are still coming in at about the same pace as all year. Thats a little surprising but not a first. The week between Christmas and New Years is usually "dead as a door nail" as we say down here. Then things begin to gradually pick back up. We have a mild winter climate with average temps around 55 degrees. Let the weather man predict 1 inch of snow accumulation and forget about buying bread or milk at a supermarket after about 2 days they are out. lol We are up about 60% for the year. Its been a rainy one. :)

December 15, 2009 at 5:00 p.m.

Old School

I guess not! I have fun anyway!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders