English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Why Insurance company's request your tax id number!!!!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

msshottet

Me and another roofer are arguring about this question?

When you are hired to do a roof and the insurance company is paying and not the homeowner because the damages were caused by a natural disaster. Why does the insurance company want the contractor to fill out a request for taxpayer identification Number and Certification Form.

If you are charging 20,000.00 to complete the roof and the insurance company pays you that much doesnt the insurance company report that they paid you that much money ti IRS and then you will have to pay taxes on all of it (or the profit).

This other roofer is saying because he did not charge the homeowner any taxes he does not have to pay any taxes to Irs.

What is your take on this? I need to know how this works and why they request your tax id # and what they do with it.

Your response to this question is greatly appreciated.>>>

August 2, 2009 at 12:15 p.m.

Old School

Msshottet; Roofing doesn't know any gender, race, or creed! Water runs downhill for everyone, everywhere, and every time. Roofing gets into your blood and it sounds like you have been bitten! Welcome aboard!>>>

August 1, 2009 at 5:23 p.m.

msshottet

LOL.....@ CIAK

thanks for welcoming me!! :)>>>

August 1, 2009 at 3:07 p.m.

wywoody

I'll concede that's a credible bio and join the welcoming committee.

But that's not to say I still wouldn't mind seeing a couple of my hoax suspects drink a glass of water and see if I detected any gurgling when you talked.>>>

August 1, 2009 at 1:17 p.m.

CIAK

So ya th'o't yo' uh roofer ?? Welcome aboard ta da fly world o' roofing contractor extradinaires what 'chew thinking girlfriend ? :laugh: :laugh: Whoa !! B) B)

And now roofen ticklin her fancy Rubbin her toes Muzzle ta muzzle, now anyfin' goes As dey wriggle, an' girlfriend starts ta giggle

And dey whirled an' dey twirled an' dey tangoed Singin an' jingin da jango Floatin like da heavens above It looks like roofing love

La da da da da .. and shit. :woohoo: :woohoo: You go girlfriend>>>

August 1, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

Jed

I'll second that.>>>

August 1, 2009 at 12:46 p.m.

Miscreant

OK kid, you're in :laugh:

.>>>

August 1, 2009 at 8:40 a.m.

msshottet

for wywoody:

after hurricane andrew my dad and brothers moved down here from new york, and they purchased a house in miami florida, the house was completly destroyed, when you walk in the wall were torn off, the floor was messed up, and you can look straight through the roof and see outside. They secured they house and then me and my mom and sister came down here to live from new york. shortly after my parents deceided to build a big addition on to the back of the house. He pulled a homeowner permit and did all the work himself. Thats when I became involved and curious! They dug the floor with a shovel, mixed cement by hand, poured the columns with a bucket. etc. and I use to try and mix the cement and dig the ground etc. I was so fascinated with what they were doing, after that I started going to work with my dad every chance I got Summer Vacation, Spring Break, Christmas Break, weekends etc,, to his remodeling jobs, tiling jobs, sheetrock,etc. Out of all of he jobs he did I was most fasinated with the roofs. I use to climb up the ladder, and snap he chalk lines, put down the tin tags, and nail them and put down the shingles and nail them use the bull as needed, and my favorite part was cutting the tabs to make the ridge cap and doing that. At that time we did not have a roofing gun so we were doing the entire roof with hammer and nails, and I loved it, I thought it was neat and I would go to the jobs when hot mop was being done and tile and everything, and I learned it, I learned how to do al the paperwork, I learned how to measure roofs I learned how to find pitch and add up measurements and calculate the sq.ft. etc. and I loved it, so when I was about 14yrs I said I wanted to be a roofer when I grow up. I worked in local flea markets doing hair, I went to college to study architecture, because thats what people said I should do it, and I took over 14 classes and i had a reality check i said to mysel why am i doing this this is not me i dont like architecture i am going to do what i want to do, so i changed my major to building construction. etc. Out of everything I did i liked roofing the best. I started buying my roofing books and reading them tabbing them highlighting them etc. and I took my state exam. I passed one part the first time i took it and the other part the second time i took it and about a year and a half after that i applied for my liscense and got it a week and a half later. and I am 26 years old now.

I hope this is a good enough explanation for you and every one and if not let me no what else you would like to know so you can stop wondering.

>>>

July 31, 2009 at 1:00 p.m.

hatrick

I have nothing to add!>>>

July 31, 2009 at 7:38 a.m.

Spudder

The numbers are recorded in many places, when you apply for a new liability policy they all ways ask for your gross receipts from the year before so they can prorate you policy fee, if so happen not to tell the truth they may something or not. They just may wait until you first claim then they can bring up that you have comitted a fraud in acquiring your policy and may not pay the claim, the dept of labor wants to see what you are doing, IRS wants to know w/c wants to know, if you grossing x amount of dollars they can calculate they rough labor cost and see if you did provide a false w/c bill. Then watch out for the Black Helo's lol>>>

July 30, 2009 at 8:24 p.m.

Old School

In my case, I was working with my dad a lot sooner than that. I have movies of me on the roof at 4 1/2 years old and I could tell that I had been on the roof before that because I was working and not sitting. It is possible that she has been on the roof working since she was 12.

Msshottet Please tell us how you were on the roof at that young age, and who you were working with. If nothing else, I would be interested! I have a lot of sisters and they never went to work with us.>>>

July 30, 2009 at 6:39 p.m.

wywoody

I've got to say I've being sitting on the sidelines looking for clues whether Msshottet is for real or not. I'm leaning not.

If you are for real, I'm sorry for doubting, but show us a little more street cred, (pardon my urban lingo). You teased with your "been roofing since I was 12". Tell us how does a 12 year old get into roofing?>>>

July 30, 2009 at 9:25 a.m.

msshottet

Thanks Old School and Ciak>>>

July 29, 2009 at 8:16 p.m.

Old School

What CIAK said! Most of us here are professionals, but we all started roofing at some time. We were all niave to the ways of business at first, but we kept on keeping on till we got to where we are today. You can do it too, but it is much easier if you have others like us to ask questions of. There are a lot of very smart people on this forum.

Think about what you are asking us. We will answer your questions, but aften times we can see through them because we have all been there already. If you are trying to be coy with us, you are going to be called on it right away. Ask us the real questions and you will get the right answers! Old School>>>

July 29, 2009 at 2:13 p.m.

CIAK

Another link to query ( call attention to ) http://www.articlesandhow.com/business-commerce/article1535.htm Not only if you are thinking of selling also if you are fore of mind to set up a business ;) ;)>>>

July 29, 2009 at 6:57 a.m.

CIAK

mss What we are seeing here is........ Let just say Robert , because he is legitimate professional . Has built into his company model a method to deal with this . Doesn't need to remember what he has to do. If asked , would be able to show you or the proper authority or whom ever . That is the beauty of setting up a real business model. We know you are just starting out from your questions. My question to you . Do you have a business plan ? If you do why doesn't it contain a provision to handle something like this . It is every day business. What say you ??? If you can it would help in this scenario if you lose the attitude . Most everyone in here ( not all ) are professional and are willing to help . Some are worker blue colar types others professional who understand the business in side and out. Where are you on this scale ? Worker employee ...........Business owner running office ????????>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad