User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Mule-Hide - Sidebar Ad - Warranty Portal
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Which professional associations do you recommend?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

jimAKAblue

I'm trying to figure out if I should join a builder's association or roofer's association. Years ago, I was a member of the builders association. My primary reason for joining was to get a group health plan for my employees and myself.

Any suggestions?

August 24, 2010 at 5:39 p.m.

RavenRoofing

Another reason to join for those of you that advertise on the internet would be to have a link to your website from the associations website. The more reputable sites that link back to yours helps to rank your site higher during web searches. But that is just a business decision. Maybe the additional cost is justified if it generates more web traffic. If your company is well established and receive jobs mainly off of word of mouth then I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Some homeowners get a better feeling about association memberships and manufacture certifications.

Possibly a builders association so you could meet more contractors and discuss bidding there work.

August 1, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.

TomB

I don't have any use for assoc's any longer....Did join the NRCA years & years ago when I first started.....Did receive some valuable info....I would recommend it to the newbiie....then, decide on your own....

Ditto the above comments....In my HBA's, BBB's, local trade assoc.'s/HBA's are only helpful if you work at it and need the possible contacts....I tried to stay with the local trade assoc, but just couldn't stand the cess-pool....The old saying justa keeps comming to mind....Ya know..."If ya swim in chit long enough, some's bound to rub off on ya"....

August 1, 2010 at 7:15 p.m.

jimAKAblue

This was posted by someone, wiser about the roofing business than me.

TW- in another thread you asked about joining an association

just my opinion- but I don't think you really want to associate with roofers- you want to associate with potential customers-many social organizations would be great for that- but in my opinion- the HBA or a roofers association would be virtually worthless.

you mentioned joining one back home for medical benefits for employees at one time?- don't laugh-but a city boy like has got a good deal through our local Farm Bureau for workers comp. etc.- my accountant/payroll service set up a deal so I am in a group with a bunch of aggie typesetc.- much lower premiums than a group made up of roofers( see what I mean- you don't wanna really assosiate with roofers.)

Thanks Stephen

August 1, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.

jimAKAblue

That makes total sense Raven. Thanks.

August 1, 2010 at 5:56 p.m.

RavenRoofing

I would start with your local or regional roofing association. It is good for networking and getting update/s on what going on with OSHA, Worker's Comp, Legislation, Etc. You can write it off on your taxes and your insurance provider will normally give you a discount on your rates if you are a member.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Construction Solutions - Banner Ad - What building material apps do you currently use?
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Roofers Coffee Shop Sidebar Banner Ad Digital Modifleece 250x265
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
EVERROOF - Clemson Giveaway 2 - Sidebar
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
CT_CimateFlex_Infographic_FINAL_2.jpg
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad