User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Where have all the posters gone?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

I guess I am as much to blame as anyone else, but if we don't post topics to talk about, there will be nothing to "talk" about. I am working on a new job right now and I have to get the pictures dumped unto the computer to post them. A big re-side and reroof with new overhangs and new skylights. Should be interesting!

January 26, 2010 at 7:48 p.m.

Old School

That's the Andy that we all knew!

January 26, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.

andy

Ummmm, well . . . I just don't know what to say here . . .

I've always been just a residential roof guy here in West Michigan. Don't know chopped glass from chopped newspaper . . .

Guess I'll go back to my corner now . . . under a snowdrift . . . :unsure:

I will admit that I took a cue from egg and Mike and just kind of backed out of here for awhile. Hoping that civility and professionalism will rule the day. From what I've seen on other forums, strident disagreements are best kept in private messages. Gunslinging and internet forums are not compatable nor conclusive.

Gunfights were typically much shorter in duration,and not as painful to watch.

Just my .02

January 26, 2010 at 5:25 p.m.

copperman

January 26, 2010 at 1:57 p.m.

Old School

This is great! Can't you just feel the love around here now?

January 26, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.

Mike H

Wow, how 'bout that, Andy?

You answer a post by egg, and get drawn into the fire. I'll be your burnin' all over now, aren't ya? :laugh:

January 26, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.

andy

Well, egg, my ears were burning . . . . I'm still around . . . just don't have much to say (and that's saying somethin')

January 25, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.

Mike H

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the answer, and no, I was not just being polite. I first saw the rig in Orlando, and spoke to you a while about it at the NRCA show. I was quite intrigued by the system. Later, my wife and I met Dave C. and his wife at a hotel between us, and we spent some time talking about his rig. That visit was specifically because I was wanting to get into a premium spray application, and knew he had purchased a unit. I always respected Dave and we covered a lot of ground that weekend about chopped glass.

The conversation you mentioned did take place, as one of my customers asked me specifically about chopped fiberglass. Since I had never had that happen before, I went straight to the source. It was all in the same time frame that I was studying the various spray systems. That's when I learned about the guys that had the rig.

A lot of thought went into our purchase, and I can't remember if we had bought our poly rig when the unit near us came up for sale, or not, but I appreciated that you gave me first crack at it. All in all, with our focus on membrane systems, I felt that a polymer application offered a better fit in our business model, and had more opportunity for growth in some other areas outside of roofing.

I was fully confident after my conversations with Dave that when done to a certain specification that adjusts for our climate, that the chopped glass was a very good system. I just needed to make a decision based on best fit. The guy near us has proposed to simply spray some asphalt and glass over a very aged, dirty, unprimed EPDM, about 800 squares worth, for a pretty little penny. I can't imagine the profit...... it wasn't the right application and I'm sure that stunts like that end up being blamed on you in many cases. Which is no different that trying to blame Firestone because some schmuck glued .045 over a soaked BUR on wood fiber, using about 1/2 the glue recommended, no angle change details, and just ran the membrane over the edge. Seams? Well, let's just caulk those shut. I had a guy around here that did just that, and offered a "20 year warranty". It's people like him that made Firestone stop issuing membrane warranties unless it was also a system guarantee. You can't blame Firestone for those failed roofs, and I can't blame Kold King for guys that just spray and pray.

Glad you weren't talking about me. Hope all's well in TX.

January 25, 2010 at 12:33 p.m.

Jed

Re-visit? I did'nt want to "re-visit" anything, much less you. But you come back here after a severe beating on another forum forced you into hiding, maligning members here with accusations of having a "pack mentality" and "class envy" amongst other things and you expect nobody to respond? These are clearly qualities you see in others because they are only ever present in yourself, as the self serving drivel you serve up goes to show.

"I'm gonna sue him your honor because he said I did a roof and I did'nt"......good grief.

January 25, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.

Mike H

Self-crowned royalty.

Just for the record, if you talking about the only person ever referred to as "king" around this joint. I did not start that bullcrap, did not appoint myself to anything, and wish it never happened. Playing along does not constitute a self appointment.

Are you including me in that 5 you talk about later? We talked about a rig, but when the opportunity arose, did not do it of my own accord. So if I'm in that group, I should be removed. I don't think you were including me, as I don't believe I ever trashed you, just making sure.

January 25, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.

Mike H

Self-crowned royalty.

January 25, 2010 at 9:52 a.m.

Jed

Five words: Baton Rouge Chevy Dealership Roof. I know exactly who you are.

Well, there are over a half dozen of them and we have never been involved with them so I still don't know WTF you are on about. Like I said if you have evidence to the contrary then put it up here.

January 25, 2010 at 7:01 a.m.

wywoody

OK, agreed, it's all let-bygones-be-by-gones,accent the positive, tactfully point out the negative and welcome everyone. We need Roofguy around here. All the time I'll be thinking things like "I wonder what the optimal water pressure a carwash can have before people claim it's removing paint?". And I've got nowhere to go to ask.

January 24, 2010 at 9:54 p.m.

Old School

Aw hell, just post some pictures of the work that all of you do. I can hear bickering at home for gosh sakes.

January 24, 2010 at 2:41 a.m.

egg

Man, we do love to get into it. Bouncing back to the original question and being careful to avoid assigning any blame to anyone, my answer would be a lot of them are still here. The act of posting requires some energy and something akin to a burning desire to get in print. People wax and wane on that score. Then there was the worm; although it never did any physical damage to my computer, others got very jumpy. Then the format changes which caused the loss of the accessible history which had always been a huge asset. Difficulty with pictures, albums, what-not. Fortunately I had a habit of pulling whole threads that interested me off the web so I didn't lose track of the total collection. I seem to be having trouble locating Dan B's immortal description of working with pitch, though. I'm still hoping I have that. The fraternity got kind of fractured, but in the way of the natural world, that led to other people's ability to form their own connections. Some people probably just burned out. Others came in. Some found sites that were more comfortable to them I would imagine. Others may have left roofing altogether. Rather than ask what happened to 'all the posters' I would rather ask what happened to, say, miscreant, or Jeff, or Mike's favorite...rat daddy...y'all know that great photoshop genius Craig, or Wally the Corpse. In the end, wadoino? I would have said we'd lost Tim, but then here he is. Andy and Anita? Darryl? Ed the roofer? I'm sure they all have their different stories and their reasons. We've lost people since before we even had very many and all the while since, but others keep joining in. If we could just get rid of Old School and MikeNZ we'd probably all feel normal again. If I could get rid of everybody I might be able to finally hear myself think properly. You're all figments of my imagination anyway. I either need to do what Grady said and call a plumber or start meditating and eating more brown rice. If everyone came back at once it would probably be terrifying. Might even run out of coffee, heaven forbid.

January 23, 2010 at 8:55 a.m.

Jed

Jed, why don't you just level with members here and tell them that you - like 5 other of my detractors here - have it in for me because I refused to sell you a rig? I think it's only fair to ask you to disclose that so that people can decide for themselves if that affects the value of your opinion.

I can understand when peoples' feeling get hurt when we tell them they can't buy a rig - it's not the normal buy/sell situation. Rarely is it because the person who wanted a rig isn't qualified to own one, although that IS the case with 2 members here. It's usually just a matter of logistics in that we don't want a rig shoved into every nook and cranny. Robert can vouch for that - I rejected a sale to his competitor 1 week after he saw Robert's new rig on a grocery store roof. Jed, you aren't the only Baton Rouge contractor we refused to sell a rig to - there was another one there. We felt you're too close to Robert, so we said no. Sorry if that offended you but that's how we do things. There are two ways to deal with that: 1) You can suck it up and realize it wasn't personal. 2) You can badmouth us for revenge. Evidently you chose #2.

Clearly you are confusing me with someone else. Firstly, I'm not a Baton Rouge contractor, I'm a project manager and have never had, nor will have anything to do with the purchase of the close to thirty fully equipped rigs we already have. Making false allegations can easily lead to a law suit, no wonder you have so much experience in that field. If you have evidence to prove me wrong put it up here. Whoever you think I am you are wrong. Again. As usual.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Construction Solutions - Banner Ad - Where do you like to get your training from manufacturers?
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2