User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What's up guys...

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

2ndgen

Just realized something...after a quick stint as a Roofing Inspector for a municipal organization, thinking that I'd found a "job" I could love, I came back to working for myself. I lasted about 2 months.

However, it was coming years before I got this job. I'd been thinking about getting out of working for myself for the longest and even looked at starting a whole new field of work (Framing/Carpentry). I just turned 40 on Valentine's Day and thought, ok, I need to secure myself now. Hence, the gig as an Inspector. While it was by far the easiest job I ever had and the money was incredible ($100K/year), there was just too much B.S. for me to deal with. There was "too much" I HAD TO let slide just to get jobs closed. It sucked. I just couldn't do it. It turned my stomach some of the work that I had to approve of (against my will). What they wanted was "good enough" and this was for schools! School for kids!

Anyway, it was a tough choice (especially in this economic time), but I walked away last Friday. Whatever. I know that the roofing gods (not RoofingGod! LOL! ) will bless me with work. Thing is, I spent all last year rebuillding myself and put my tools down for this job. The whole time I thought, "What am I doing?" But I did it. I did it out of fear. The fear that I couldn't bag any work (which is justifiable) or that I had to compete at super low prices.

But...as today is Easter (by the way, Happy Easter & Passover to you and your loved ones), I too feel ressurected. This time, I'm sure that I'm meant to work for myself "as" a Roofer. Not just because my old man is a Roofer, not just because I can't do anything else, not just because I'm desperate, but because I honestly love it (though I hated it when business sucked and I ran into some really dubious customers and employees).

So now what?

Get to work.

I can't wait to start my jobs (oh yeah, I wasn't stupid...I stacked the coin I was getting from my work and kept my jobs lined up "just in case" things didn't work out). I'm ready. I can't wait to put on my boots again and to strap on my belt and to fire up my compressor and to start banging away.

Let me just say this...over the past few years, I got screwed when I got offered a gig in Florida that turned out to be nothing leaving me homeless while I lived on my savings because they kept me there for months on hold, I suffered a couple of business deals that could've buried me (but I squared them away and handled those who tried to screw me) and I had a leg injury that I thought would cripple me for life. Not only that, we have GC's here using their roofing to keep their guys busy (i.e. charging just enough to pay their bills). The trade here got flooded with jacklegs (which is GREAT in a way because the quality of roofing here has gone downhill just as I predicted making my work stand out and giving me the right to get top dollar). There's just been this succession of crap (for lack of a better word) that kept me wishing my last name was Trump.

But, I have survived it all.

I never felt comfortable "not" working physically. I felt as I had this great easy job, like I "quit". I just wasn't happy. Fact is, I hated it.

I had to come back home to the roof. I am a truly fortunate man. I am ressurected. I am blessed.

I am a Roofer.

>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Fire
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder