User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What's up guys...

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

2ndgen

What's up guys. :)>>>

November 11, 2009 at 9:07 p.m.

2ndgen

Old School Said: We are still here...having at it!

LOL!

Man, it feels great since I got back to working for myself!

Everything that I've always dreamed about doing, I'm doing now.

Before, I felt like I was trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

I couldn't change the peg, so I changed the hole!

:laugh:

November 5, 2009 at 6:47 p.m.

Old School

We are still here...having at it!

November 5, 2009 at 12:51 a.m.

2ndgen

Greetings and Salutations Gents!

April 20, 2009 at 5:52 p.m.

Peter1

LOL I hear Ye, selling from a showroom is not me, managing from an office is not me, I had to slate in a boiler flue and had a ball, That's Me.

So I run to every Solar project I can because it gets me on the roof, when selling a system I was so against a tube system being mounted on a slate roof that the customer looked at me and said "Are you here about the roof or the Solar" LOL

>>>

April 20, 2009 at 8:45 a.m.

2ndgen

>>>

April 20, 2009 at 8:35 a.m.

2ndgen

I feel so good. :D Saturday, I tore into a roof. Felt so "right".

Call it a curse or a blessing, @ 40 years old, it's finally sunk in... in the immortal words of Popeye...

>>>

April 15, 2009 at 9:52 a.m.

2ndgen

Miscreant Said: Whats up second Gen?

I still got a 87 Fisher Montare. Id like to get another one but cant justify it because this one is still hanging in. Time for another wheel set though.

I love Fishers.

I actually met Gary Fisher at a Trek Demo day. He was the coolest. He signed my Roscoe!

You have to try out the newer bikes. I'm keeping my Opie for life. I won't ever get rid of her. Fact is, I used her as part of my rehab last year when I ruptured my calf muscle.

Ride on Miscreant!>>>

April 15, 2009 at 9:49 a.m.

Miscreant

What's up second Gen?

I still got a '87 Fisher Montare. I'd like to get another one but can't justify it because this one is still hanging in. Time for another wheel set though.>>>

April 15, 2009 at 9:48 a.m.

2ndgen

Rozziroofer Said: 2ndgen In ur 1st post it sounded like u left out of politics or having to pass POOR work.

It was for both (and other) reasons.

Then you went on and mentioned you would not budge for nothin. Did you leave because ur conscience ?

No, because I couldn't control my decisions, so my conscience was clear. When I realized what was going on, I knew I was leaving and stopped after the first time I was told to let something go. I'd make a decision, it would get overruled. My responsibility ended there. If I had stayed, then I'd be responsible for contributing to what was going on.

Sounded as if you had a job that was better for ur future (body knee back pain)and in todays economy better financially. What was the real reason ?

I'm sorry if the truth isn't enough for you, but I wasn't desperate for work when I took the job. In fact, I had enough work to carry me through the winter (in December). And what's best for my future is that I do work I can be proud of where I don't have to give up my ethical standards.

Plus, I missed physically working. See, I actually love to climb roofs and hump shingles and bang out a few sqaures per hour with my gun. I'm a "Roofer". Roofing isn't just what I do, it's what I "am".

As far as money went, I live by this saying: "Do what you love and the money will follow." I was miserable. And the money was "less".

;)>>>

April 15, 2009 at 9:40 a.m.

2ndgen

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said: Hey, one day Im coming your way to Mountain Bike out there Vaa! Hope we can get together for some Roast Pork!

:P Ha thats what we had for dinner last night, just after you posted. I lent my Mountain Bike to the Bird Sanctuary for the use of some exchange student from the US who is working there, the Summer is over now, thanks for reminding me I should go chase it up and get it back if they are finished with it. Either its wrecked or they fixed it ( it had some chain jumping issues :S )

You lent you bike out?

Do you lend out your wife and tools too?

LOL!

I have a 2007 Gary Fisher Opie now + a 2009 Gary Fisher Roscoe I I just bought (along with a 2009 Trek 1.5 Road Bike). Have to get ride of my vintage Giant RS900 Road bike and my '95 Kona Explosif MTB. I have to many bikes. :D

Well, at least it's good to know I'll have a riding buddy to go with. I'm going to take the Roscoe (of course) with me.

>>>

April 13, 2009 at 5:47 p.m.

Rozziroofer

2ndgen In ur 1st post it sounded like u left out of politics or having to pass POOR work. Then you went on and mentioned you would not budge for nothin. Did you leave because ur conscience ? Sounded as if you had a job that was better for ur future (body knee back pain)and in today's economy better financially. What was the real reason ?>>>

April 13, 2009 at 8:47 a.m.

2ndgen

[size=5]And another reason...[/size]

Click on this link to see pic full size to read...well worth it!

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Images/Article/1938/fett.jpg

>>>

April 12, 2009 at 8:48 p.m.

2ndgen

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said: Glad you seen sense :laugh: (coming back on the roof)

Inspectors have a hard job, most of what they have to say is bad news and you have to be a special type of person to do that job. Sounds like you have very high morals 2nd Gen, it must be hard to let things slide when you know they aint right.

Im hoping the Inspector is going to let slide some heat warps and marks on the pvc gutters and skip the bleed out dusting with white granules on the job I have just finished, I know he is an ex-builder and knows nothing about Torchon, any tips on how to handle him ............. :P

Hey Vaa, yeah, a nice big "envelope" will blind him to those loose ends! :laugh:

Thanks for the compliments. :) Some things are "reasonable" to let go, but these guys are getting overpaid and their still not doing the job right while using the cheapest labor possible and putting their own kids in private school. That's why they don't care. I'll tell you this...I didn't let anything go. What I did was give them a fair extension so that they could "get it right". I've never had a contractor ask me for anything more than that because they knew I wouldn't budge.

The smart ones would fix the problems. But those that would try to get poor workmanship by, I'd all of a sudden couldn't inspect their work for 2 weeks (holding up their checks). This would induce miracles from them! LOL They'd call me within 24 hours telling me that they fixed everything. That's how you had to deal with these dicks.

Long story short, my jobs were starting to get ahead of schedule because of this and I got the speech that I had to "slow down". That ticked me off. That's when I figured some things out and knew I wouldn't last there anyway.

Hey, one day I'm coming your way to Mountain Bike out there Vaa! Hope we can get together for some Roast Pork!

>>>

April 12, 2009 at 1:38 p.m.

2ndgen

Hey Old School.

I always loved "roofers". You have to be a nut to be a roofer.

Who else want's to climb "off" of the safe ground then work against gravity in all kinds of weather. You know you're tough when you tell a construction worker what you do and they flinch and say "damn". Yep, you definitely have to be a certain "type" of person.

Every once in a while, I'll put my gun down and just bang out a square or two with my hatchet. Granted, I love my gun(s), but I also love the Zen of nailing with a hatchet too.

:)>>>

April 12, 2009 at 1:32 p.m.

Old School

We are one sick bunch for sure. I like your roofing cartoon, but now-a-days, the guy would have an air gun instead of a hammer.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad