English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

"What would you do?"

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TomB

Noticed a specialty product going on a roof down the street in our neighborhood. The crew putting it on obviously has little knowledge of it's proper installation, as well as some other notable deficiencies in standard roofing applications.

Homeowner knows we are a roofing contractor, but didn't even give us call when the hail storm came through our neighborhood last summer.

I feel guilty, but somehow not-so-bad knowing the homeowner is not getting a roof he thinks he bargained for. But then again, it just pisses me off to no end at the incredible carnage these jackleg roofers cause all through the neighborhood & tarnishing the roofing industry..... Would you stop by & enlighten him, or just let it go? - "get what you deserve"......?

April 23, 2017 at 10:05 a.m.

tinner666

I just give them a card and tell them I'm around if they ever have any issues. Since I offer inspections, I'm sometimes hired to oversee other companies and direct their corrections on my punch-list. Sometimes, I end up in court, and get the job myself and get my price, AND the other company is the one that pays me if they were already paid. The court has passed judgement and the money is in escrow, or the owner,usually, has it in hand after the judgement. Nothing like hearing "I paid you more than I got and lost my ass!"

April 19, 2017 at 4:52 p.m.

Chuck2

The allure of a "free roof" is just too much for the majority of homeowners. It's really not that hard to understand why. Just look at the cost of everything these days and the cost of a new roof.

They probably didn't call you because someone else beat you to the draw by knocking on their door and offering a free roof and to deal with their insurance company for them saving them the pain in the arse of it all and lots of money.

Combine all this with the fact that the vast majority of homeowners know next to nothing about roofing and just assume that everyone and everything is just about the same and this is what ends up happening.

Now, when the storm chasing company that installed the roof is gone and working the new storm a few states over and a leak reveals itself by spotting the sheet rock, they will be happy to call you over! :S

April 19, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.

The SEAN

I wouldn't do anything at all. if you feel like doing something to make yourself feel better, stop by and hand them one of your business cards and tell them that if they have any problems in the future, to call you.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Commercial Distribution Specilaists
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad