User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

what is yalls?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

ROOFITRIGHT

what is yalls way or best suggestion on how to repair a gravel roof that has leaks?thanks in advance!

November 13, 2009 at 5:25 p.m.

Mike H

Dr.ROOF Said: yall is singular...all yall is plural.

Thank you. I'm glad someone can speak proper redneck.

y'alls is actually the possessive form of y'all.

November 13, 2009 at 5:11 p.m.

Tin Man

The question is, Are we talking about asphalt or pitch roofing repair?

November 9, 2009 at 12:36 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

y'all is singular...all y'all is plural.

Bring back the kettle! and Bobby's button!

November 9, 2009 at 11:55 a.m.

CIAK

Dr.ROOF Said: Hey Chuck, I think you should move away from the kettle for a while...
a OK ?? The kettle . Is that a reference to the Ole Kettle in the RCS ?? Snorting asphalt fumes from a real kettle ?? It isn't real clear what your referring too . I will move away from a kettle . B) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :unsure: B) P.S. FYI yalls the extra plural form of y'all. Refers to at least ten people.

November 9, 2009 at 8:50 a.m.

Dr.ROOF

Hey Chuck, I think you should move away from the kettle for a while...

November 9, 2009 at 8:04 a.m.

CIAK

OK , it is now official . This is a yalls . My take on this is similar to Jeffs . About all I do any more when I'm home . Roof repairs . I learned from experience . Also tutored by whom I consider the best in the area . Legends in my mind worthy of a Hall of Fame . My favorite experience was on a commercial roof . Many many attempts by various roofing contractors or hacks at repair . A new maintenance man brought me to the job . All the usual places smeared and or repairs by others . No luck . I climb up unto the roof . After assessing the situation I go into a Zen mode . Closing my eyes looking from within " Patience young grasshopper " I distinctly hear Master Po silently guiding . Observe ,Do you see the ants at your feet?' Marching towards the problem? I open my eyes and look down at my feet to see ants there. Here they come. Industrious amazing ants . Follow the ants . Patience and observations pays off . 10 foot away from any repair or smeared roof cement . The ants lead me to it . B) ;) ;) B) B)

November 9, 2009 at 6:51 a.m.

Jed

Jeff raises a good point. Sometimes you will cause the leak to find another entry point into the building but in most cases this can't be forseen or helped, unfortunately.

November 9, 2009 at 5:26 a.m.

Roof Doctors USA

If the roof is old, be careful not to create collateral damage. You might be accused of moving the leak.

November 7, 2009 at 2:43 p.m.

ROOFITRIGHT

thanx for the info guys.thats pretty much what ive been doing and had good success but still having trouble with one leak,everybody i talk to at abc supply are telling me i can use mulehide fibered emulsion if its cleaned very good.ive never messed with that stuff and didnt know if it was a good idea or not.

November 7, 2009 at 8:00 a.m.

Jed

Isolate the area. Spud it back. Locate the defect. Cut it back. Patch it. Two ply of glass felt with pitch cement if pitch. Make sure the top overlaps the one under it. Cement and membrane, or torched target/cold process (yuk) if asphalt. Replace gravel. If the roof is over twenty yrs old then the chances are you will be back on a regular basis. Inspect, or have the roof inspected. If it is coal tar pitch then check to see if the pitch is migrating (leaving plies visible) or leeching out (small balls of pitch visible).

November 6, 2009 at 11:40 p.m.

egg

The scraping part has to be done carefully if you want a good patch. Once you get to bare membrane, you have to keep loose rock away from your work. You have to clean any dirt off. This includes loose flakey material from degraded membrane. You may need to prime. A quality repair is a marvelous thing to behold. But some membranes are at the point of critical collapse. If they reach this point, three months after your quality repair you may return to find thirty feet of split membrane. Cut out a small piece of the membrane clear through and check for how brittle it is before you make any promises to anybody, or even any insinuations, about the value of the patch.

November 6, 2009 at 7:49 p.m.

CIAK

If you don't get 10 replies it is not yalls. ;)

November 6, 2009 at 6:48 p.m.

Old School

That about covers it!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway