English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What is it.....lol

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RoofDude

Here's a new one. Looks like an old asbestos type tile to me. Although, I've never seen this exact one or type before. Any & all info would be great...! thanks.

ps.... nice walkable, easy job...hahahaha

I'm just doing an inspection for the owner who's insurance company demands it before they will issue a policy. Looks in pretty bad shape to me. However, I'll admit, I've never seen this exact type of tile before. I imagine its.....oooooold. Looks like every tile has a wire coming through it at the base, & is turned down. Interesting.....

November 6, 2015 at 6:03 p.m.

RoofDude

wywoody Said: If I were ever to do a tearoff of that stuff it would have to be on a house sitting by itself in the country. I wouldnt touch it if there was any chance at all any airborne particles could reach the property of any busy-body with a lawyer on speedial.

I hear ya Woody. I tore a few off years ago. I'm still kickin...lol. Although, like you, no way would I mess with one in a city. The restrictions in the city this house is located, you'd have to wear an entire abatement suit, mask, gloves, etc.... & bag it all. No thanks.

Robert Said: Hexagon asbestos shingles thousand of squares were on here till Katrina they were tearing it off and throwing it on the side of the road in New Orleans. If it kills you im a dead man been working with them for many years, removing and reinstalling after refelting.Its non friable and theres still tons of it on here insurance companys dont want to insure them anymore.

Robert... that's the thing with this situation. Insurance company won't insure it without a Roofer to certify the roof. Guy was pretty butt hurt that I wouldn't. But...but.... it doesn't leak. Granted, he just bought the house & has no idea. The chimney had no cricket, & sketchy flashing that looked like it was repaired in the last 10yrs.

November 6, 2015 at 4:02 p.m.

robert

Hexagon asbestos shingles thousand of squares were on here till Katrina they were tearing it off and throwing it on the side of the road in New Orleans. If it kills you im a dead man been working with them for many years, removing and reinstalling after refelting.Its non friable and there's still tons of it on here insurance company's don't want to insure them anymore.

November 6, 2015 at 7:56 a.m.

wywoody

If I were ever to do a tearoff of that stuff it would have to be on a house sitting by itself in the country. I wouldn't touch it if there was any chance at all any airborne particles could reach the property of any busy-body with a lawyer on speedial.

November 4, 2015 at 6:04 p.m.

RoofDude

Thanks for the input fellas. I was thinking they were asbestos tiles myself. I've seen plenty of asbestos stuff, just hadn't seen one that looked like these, especially with the pin in the bottom.

Mike... T-locs...!!! Haven't seen those in awhile. I installed a few of those way back early in my career. They were popular in a neighborhood just outside of a canyon that blew every morning, & evening.

OS... yeah. Again, appreciate the info. Im familiar with the abatement process..... & to be honest.. I don't want ANYTHING to do with this roof...lol. Not because of the material, because of the walkable pitch... looks too easy. I like more of a challenge B) Wow man.... 65yrs old..?? Impressive. Haven't made em for 50yrs....damn.

All I've been hired to do is give an opinion on the condition of the roof.

November 4, 2015 at 4:55 p.m.

Old School

What Mike said. Those copper clips or wires you are talking about are really pins that hold them down. There are two nails high and the pins set right next to them and holds the bottom of the tile n place. That is about 65 years old and as long as it doesn't leak, leave it alone. If/when you start to take them apart they will break and they are a pita to fix. They haven't made them for over 5o years too and the only thing that you can get to fix them are from the salvage places. It can be done though.

If you tear it off, you have to get a manafest from the disposal company and then a copy goes to the local permit issuing agency, one to you one to the ho9me owner and one to the disposal company. One normally goes to the landfill they put it into also. It is not friable, but at the same time you don't want to just break it up as you take it off. I normally wet it down and cover it for the disposal comp-any. Thousands of squares of them went down after WWIi over the wood shingle roofs that were installed at the turn of the century. A very good roof. Leave it alone.

Here is one we worked on.

https://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/LocustStreetSlate?authkey=Gv1sRgCOie9oyww-CmDw

November 4, 2015 at 11:12 a.m.

Mike H

Yes, it's asbestos. Fairly common, or at least it used to be around here. Most of them are covered with T-locs now.

I think the wires are snow guards, or what's left of them.

The design is pretty efficient. There's only a few inches burried under the above shingles.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LP Building Solutions - Banner Ad - Remodlers Edge
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all