User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What is a phone number worth?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

seen-it-all

I'm in the process of closing out my business due to a career ending injury in July. I've had the same phone number for my business since 1987 and have run a reputable operation with no oustanding debts, obligations or warranty claim issues. I don't want to sell the company name but would be willing to sell rights to use the phone number and name until June 30 2010 when my yellow pages contract expires plus maybe negotiate a deal for another year. Would this be possible to accomplish without leaving myself open to a big legal mess down the road if they misused it?

My business was a small operation doing about 80% referral, grossing between 250-300K a year at about 30% above going market rate. Any advice on what something like this would be worth or am I just dreaming?

January 4, 2010 at 3:56 a.m.

OLE Willie

Hi, A few years ago a local well established and reputable company's owner passed away. The business had been in operation in my prime market area for over 50 years. The deceased owner had no wife and only 1 son who lived in another state and was not a roofer. They decided to sell all the business assets and just let the business end. I checked with the phone company and they said i would have to catch up payments on his half page ad plus keep it current which would have cost me around $10,000 up front and $2,500 per month for several more months. Then they said if i waited about 4 more months until his advertising contract was up ( 1 yr to the day from the time of his contract ) that the very first caller asking for the phone number could get it for 20 bucks a month for as long as you want it. They open at 7 am and i started dialing about 6:50 am and was lucky enough to be first. I got a lot of work from it for about 6 months and then it started to dwindle down a little at a time. After about 2-3 years i let the number go as i was not getting any more calls from it. It would be a very good deal for someone who wanted to start their own business from scratch or you might be able to sell it to one of the larger companies in your area. Sorry about your injury. I don't know what we would do if something like that happened to me. :dry:

January 3, 2010 at 5:01 p.m.

pnunes

Victoria and Nanaimo's cost of living is one of the highest in Canada, it's very rainy between December and March but they get next to no snow. Edmonton gets as low as -35 in the winter, the cost of living is lower and getting any kind of work there is as easy as making a phone call. We have offices in both locations, we are always look for experienced roofers, sales guys, estimators and/or supers.

January 3, 2010 at 2:29 p.m.
January 3, 2010 at 12:52 p.m.

robert

Of course theres no such thing as a rain out in B.C on the coast they work in the rain if they can.

January 3, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.

robert

Many more dry days to work in Alberta the B.C?

January 3, 2010 at 12:50 p.m.

robert

Vancouver is nothing but condos and highrises plenty of balconys.We were in edmonton in july,it never really got warm for us.As we were landing the pilot goes welcome to Edmonton its 55 degrees out this afternoon. :woohoo:

January 3, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

robert

Edmonton is so cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike you want to roof in that cold weather?

January 3, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

robert

Not hard you just buy a truck and a ladder,your jobs move every couple days!When the heat get warm,jump on a plane for nz.Then back to bc.

January 3, 2010 at 11:25 a.m.

seen-it-all

You have mail kage.

January 3, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.

kage

Give me an e-mail seen-it-all,I am interested.

January 2, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.

kage

They have a crane come in to load when there working on it.

January 2, 2010 at 6:03 p.m.

robert

No theyre using new slate

January 2, 2010 at 6:01 p.m.

wywoody

Those old CP hotels all seem to be at least 20/12 pitch. I don't see any disposal or lifting provisions. Are they relaying the old slate?

January 2, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.

seen-it-all

Here is a YouTube video someone has shot and around the 5:21 and 5:51 mark they pan the roof and you can see the catwalks over the dormers and at the end of the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Eno_YOG6Y

January 2, 2010 at 3:40 p.m.

kage

Its a time consumer thats for sure,I heard they get quit a bit for danger pay on top of labor.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Beacon - Banner Ad - This is Roofing School! (RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad