User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What does insurance pay in your area?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Roof Doctors USA

A friend of mine had wind damage to his roof. He filed a claim and here are the unit costs they are paying:

Remove, Tear Off, Haul & Dispose of Comp Shingles - $59.79/Sqr. Roofing Felt - 30 lb. - $34.75/Sqr. Drip Edge - $1.65/Ln. Ft. Step Flashing - 7.59/Ln. Ft. 3-Tab - 25 Yr. Comp. Shingle Roofing - $193.76/Sqr. Ridge Cap - Comp. Shingle - $4.37/Ln. Ft. Valley Metal - $4.29/Ln. Ft. Flashing- Pipe Jack - $31.29 Ea.

BTW, the house is a one story straight gable roof with a 5:12 pitch. There are four dormers (2 per side). The roof has as single layer of blue diamond shingles over 30# felt. The decking is 5/8 CDX plywood. The roof is 3600 Sq. Ft.

The building permit will cost $2040.00. The notice of commencement will cost $22 to file. The supplier will charge $175 delivery fee to ground drop the shingles. My crew will have to load the shingles (we can no longer get roof top delivery in our area).

>>>

April 17, 2009 at 5:48 p.m.

Roof Doctors USA

Peter1 - The permit fee is paid to the city or town, not the state. In this case, the house is actually a duplex. Each side is 1800 Sq. Ft. The permit fee is calculated very strangely in this town. There is a non-refundable $500 clean up bond payable to the city for each side of the duplex. Then there is a $100 fee that covers the first $2000 of work performed (per side). Then the fee is $40 per $1000 for each Thousand there after. Some city's charge a plan's review fee. Other's charge an impact fee. This little town prohibits working on weekends; also you can't start work before 7:30 AM or work past 6 PM.

>>>

April 17, 2009 at 5:01 p.m.

Peter1

Hi HOP,

That permit fee would enough to cause anyone to walk away from the business, if memory serves you have to be insured to qualify for permits?

So you go all legal and the State hits the registered contractor with a contract tax ????? no wonder Jackleg is the way to go.

>>>

April 16, 2009 at 12:47 p.m.

KC Joe

Vaa Fakaosifolau Said:House Of Pain: [ What does insurance pay in your area? ]

Not enough to be bothered about doing them. :silly:

Why do you say that? Is it because you only do commercial work and residential dosn't pay enought? Or what?>>>

April 16, 2009 at 8:54 a.m.

CustomRoof

Those would be great #'s here in NC, if you can get reimbursed for the permit.>>>

April 16, 2009 at 5:16 a.m.

Roof Doctors USA

RandyB1986 - I generally price a jobs like this at $500/Sqr. (We don't do much shingle work. Mostly metal, tile and low slope modified bitumen.) >>>

April 15, 2009 at 10:10 p.m.

RandyB1986

Thats about 20% more than we get here in Indiana on tear off, everything else looks to be about 10% more than we get......but we dont get no fancy $2040 permit :woohoo:

I now see why some people try to dodge getting permits :silly:

Is this a decent price in your area or cheap? Seems to me like it would be hard to do that job, for them prices when you have $50-60 a square in permits.

Randy>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
EVERROOF - Clemson Giveaway 2 - Sidebar
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad