User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What do you do on slopes lower than 3/12?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

fayetteroofing

Hey out there in roofing land..

Recently I lost a big bid because I suggested using modified bitumen instead of shingles on a low-sloped portion of a homeowner's roof (about 6 squares.) I understand that anything 3/12 and under should not be shingled over.. and that if it IS shingled over, the manufacturer won't warranty it. The customer said that he didn't want bitumen up there because it wouldn't look right, and that he got other roofers saying it wasn't necessary. I happen to think he went with the cheaper quote. What do you guys do on roofs that flat? Any input would be appreciated.

November 14, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.

fayetteroofing

Just want to say thanks a lot. This is the absolute best place for feedback.

November 4, 2009 at 10:09 p.m.

fayetteroofing

Don't know what I would do without you guys! Call me if you need a translator between you and your Spanish crews! Gracias :)

November 1, 2009 at 7:37 p.m.

Old School

I normally ski on slopes like that. A "snowplow", On steep slopes I just turn faster!

October 29, 2009 at 10:30 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

that's some mighty fine torchin' there Moike!

October 29, 2009 at 11:07 a.m.

Jed

I reckon you can say WANKER on here Mike.....you an' me's the only ones who know what it means :laugh:

October 27, 2009 at 7:08 p.m.

OLE Willie

Tinner thats one helluva job there bud! :cheer: They used to make dimensionals that overlapped/interlocked instead of butting together. However, they only overlapped like 1/8 inch or less which will still not stop the water from tracking over and under the shingles in extreme cases. :huh: We recently reroofed AND REDECKED a ladys home that had a 5/12 pitch with leaks here and there due to the old plank decking being unlevel. ( very old house ) 90% or more of the roofers around here would not have re-decked this house ( decking was not spaced more than 1/4 inch at the widest spot and wasn't that unlevel really but it was causing several leaks during hard rains not to mention a not so desirable appearance ) and she would of ended up with the same problems again ( probably sooner than later ) except newer shingles on the roof. :unsure:

October 27, 2009 at 6:33 p.m.

tinner666

You're not going to tick me off Egg. Yes, it's sidelapped, not butted. Manufacturer's rep recommended it. Said it was the same as weaving a valley. My own roof has withstood 70-85 mph winds during a hurricane.

When I was a factory certified installer, they watched me do this one, with their blessing also. I looked at it a month or so ago and it looked good for a 20 y.o. roof. No missing shingles either. http://rcs.si-sv2628.com/show_album_photo.asp?userid=30&AlbumID=108&file=764&s=0

October 27, 2009 at 6:09 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

Since the death of the low slope shingle we have installed thousands of squares of 3 tab shingles on 2/12 pitch roofs. 68" of ice and water protector at the eaves and 2 layers of felt paper on the remaining roof deck, with the shingles applied normally on top of that underlayment system. This system has worked very well in keeping out the rain. I can't remember a leak that was ever attributed specifically to the use of this system. Being in snow country, we do have some houses that are prone to ice damming. This system does ok in keeping the ice out, but not as good as the original low slope shingle.

October 27, 2009 at 5:07 p.m.

Pot Gregory

Hay Willie , last time i checked , they had 4 colors, white, weather/wood, brown, charcoal. I was told they mite increase the colors in future , maybe already have. The roof in the pics was a 1/12, good and smoothe, but you are rite about the high spots-been dair--dun dat. ;)

October 27, 2009 at 4:51 p.m.

egg

fayette...http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/50391.pdf

Last sentence of first paragraph @ 4.1.1

All the other mfg co's have similar wording. At that pitch you need to beef up the underlayment. Read all that stuff there. It isn't terribly lengthy and explains a great deal that you will find useful in the future. You have to poke around in the websites looking for this kind of data because THEY are goofy, they think the PUBLIC is goofy, they assume the CONTRACTORS are goofy and so they make the easiest pages to get to the stupid goofy ones. The rest of us who want to make sense of the world have to work harder to find what we need to do that. Good luck with it. Don't worry, the learning curve isn't as bad as it seems at first.

P.S. on that Dutch lap thing...at the risk of ticking off Tinner, who is a very experienced roofer and not someone to ignore if he gives advice, (but...lol) what he means is to take the butt-joints of adjacent shingles and pull one shingle sideways up onto the other one to close that joint. He is the only respectable dude that I know of who will do this and I do not recommend it, nor do I think the manuf. would honor their warranty, at least so far as blow-offs are concerned, if you apply them this way. just my two cents on that one...

October 27, 2009 at 4:20 p.m.

OLE Willie

Hey Pot... That looks like a 2 - 3/12. Everything is usually fine unless some unlevelness develops with the decking. Another cause of the problem around here is fly by nights nailing over an existing roof improperly! As in not doing a butt and run. They cause slight humps all over the roof that damm up the water somewhat during heavy downpours and allow it to track horizontally to the butt joints and leak. Do they make peel n stick with shingle grain surface? Our customers like the low slopes to match the shingled part as much as possible. If they have low slopes we always recommend a color that is available in both the shingles and the modified. :)

October 27, 2009 at 2:42 p.m.

Pot Gregory

Hay willie...you tried any GAF Liberty Cap Sheet,Peel n Stick....man, that mop grade sure is messy..

October 27, 2009 at 2:36 p.m.

Pot Gregory

This a job 18 yrs old we did, maybe a 1/12 pitch we ran shingles on 3" lines , with only 30# felt under.......still holding out water today

http://rcs.si-sv2628.com/show_album_photo.asp?userid=148&AlbumID=907&file=6883&s=0

Then along came peel n stick...

October 27, 2009 at 1:34 p.m.

fayetteroofing

I tried to check GAF's specific limit on warranties for low slopes, but all it says is that "For any asphaltic roof system conditions that prevent positive drainage or areas of roof which pond water" are exclusions of coverage. It doesn't specify the slope.. Anyone know where it might say 2/12 or 3/12 has no warranty?

October 27, 2009 at 1:26 p.m.

fayetteroofing

I really appreciate the response. I am a female salesperson for a roofing company and although I don't actually do the labor, I want to understand the products as best as possible. Tinner666 - what is a dutch-lap? And is that a 3/12 that you put architectural shingles over? Please forgive my ignorance.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS Trends 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar