English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

what do ridge vents have to do with soffit?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

fayetteroofing

I read that "ridge vents remove all the air along the top, and the soffits allow it to escape." All the air along the top of the attic? If ridge vents remove the air, doesn't that mean that the air is pumping out? Why are the soffits necessary?

Then this post, from a different user, further confused me: "Hot air needs to go up to the vent and then someway go down past the shingles before it can escape the attic."

This is greek to me! If hot air rises to the vent, why doesn't it just go OUT the vent? Why does it have to escape through somewhere else? And what do they mean "go down past the shingles.." I am determined to learn but frustrated by the lack of clarity. Won't someone help?

May 11, 2010 at 12:37 p.m.

Old School

Breathe in, breathe out. That is about as simple as it gets. Breathe in, breathe in; dosen't work, and neather does breathe out, breathe out!

May 11, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.

MAC

fayetteroofing Said: I read that ridge vents remove all the air along the top, and the soffits allow it to escape. All the air along the top of the attic? If ridge vents remove the air, doesnt that mean that the air is pumping out? Why are the soffits necessary?

Then this post, from a different user, further confused me: Hot air needs to go up to the vent and then someway go down past the shingles before it can escape the attic.

This is greek to me! If hot air rises to the vent, why doesnt it just go OUT the vent? Why does it have to escape through somewhere else? And what do they mean go down past the shingles.. I am determined to learn but frustrated by the lack of clarity. Wont someone help?

Air flows from the soffit vents to the ridge vent releaseing stagnit air. Look at it as if its a slow moving fan. Without soffit vents a ridge vent can only release hot air and moisture from the house, only 50% efficient verses having the soffit vents also

November 9, 2009 at 9:27 p.m.

dennis

Actually, that article is more right than wrong.

"Take a straw, poke a hole threw it and try to drink out of it. "

No, take a straw, poke a hole through it and try to draw air, not water, through it.

November 9, 2009 at 4:50 p.m.

soldierboy

quote/]seen-it-all Said: This is probably the original article:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/745_Roof_Vent.shtml

Just tried to rebut his own article and it appears that it won't get posted. Here is what I posted on that website. Sure hope the general public doesn't think that is how all ventilation should be applied.

OK. Someone has confused the heck out of the general public. There are many types of ridge vent systems out there to use. Some good (Expensive), and some not so good (Usually the cheap models). I have been to many exhibits, supplier paid classes and have done my own research. Here is what I know best. Hot air rises = Hot air balloon Planes need lift = Bernoulli effect

Now, the ridge vents that we use have an outside baffle that forces the wind to create a high/low pressure above your ridge line. This will draw air thru your soffit area and out the ridge line. You must close off all other holes leading out of your attic or you short circuit the system. Take a straw, poke a hole threw it and try to drink out of it. This same principle can be used when dealing with a ventilation system. There are many different variables that you must take into consideration when trying to vent an attic properly.. Having more than one type of system in place at a time will not allow more air to flow, rather have the exact opposite effect. Sometimes the people that you think are experts are full of hot air themselves. Consult a professional roofer that has attained some kind of expertise on the issue.

November 6, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.

Old School

There are lots of different kinds of ridge vents. The one that works it the Air Vent II with the external baffles! IF you have the right amount of soffit ventilation and a way for the air to move from it THRU the bottom plate area and into the attic.

November 5, 2009 at 11:53 p.m.

seen-it-all

This is probably the original article:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/745_Roof_Vent.shtml

November 5, 2009 at 10:36 p.m.

fayetteroofing

i googled ridge vent and sent me to yahoo answers.. go figure. great responses, many thanks. it's coming together now

November 5, 2009 at 6:45 p.m.

Old School

Unbelievable!

November 5, 2009 at 3:58 a.m.

OLE Willie

P.S. The tricky ones to ventilate are the cathedral/vaulted ceilings that have NO attic space. There is usually some condensation up at the peak where the two ceilings meet. We've solved this problem in the past by nailing 2 x 4's over the existing rafters, decking over that with plywood with insulation attatched to the underside, ( thus creating a 2 inch air flow space ) Then installing vented drip edge at the bottom for intake, regular drip edge on the rake edges and then ridge vent at the top for exhaust. :blink:

November 5, 2009 at 3:50 a.m.

OLE Willie

What Robby said!!! INTAKE and EXHAUST. Sometimes i see people mixing different types of ventilation which is a big time no no. Like, they will already have say two electrical power fans on the roof and then install ridge vent. The power fans are the exhaust and the soffitt vents are supposed to be the intake but when mixed now the fans will pull the most air from the source which is closer which will be the ridge vent. Completely going against the desgin of a ventilation system. ( ridge vent is for exhaust not intake ) Mixing power fans and wind turbines wouldn't be as dramatic but still the fans are stronger so it should not be done.

November 4, 2009 at 10:38 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

1. Hot air does rise, slowly, but it needs to move faster to cool down you attic space...ridge vent are considered "out take air"...flows out 2. Soffitt vents act as an "air intake", cool air from the out side moves through the soffit, mixes with the warm air in the attic as well as having enough force to push towards and out through the ridge vent.

3. If the house has gable vents, they could at times act as intake or outtake venting, depending on how fast and which angle the air is moving. It is considered problamatic by the industry and that is why manufacturers reccomend removing/blocking gable vents when installing ridge vent.

PROBLEMS:

No ridge vent.....soffit intake will be greatly reduced...too warm in the attice mixed with moist air from the living space will create condensation when the air hits the dew point....dry rot begins

No soffit vents......ridgevent out take air will be greatly reduced allowing for warm/moist air to build up over time....dry rot

Do not allow the insulation to block you soffitt vents as this is a common occurace and cause the same problems

Try this at home. I have a sliding glass door to my master bedroom leading out to the balcony. I crack it open about 6 inches and leave the bedroom door shut, I can feel a small breeze coming through. Now open the bedroom door and prop it open, you will now feel a constant rush of air through the six inch crack. Your sliding glass door is the "intake" venting...You bedroom door is the "outtake" vent towards the rest of your home. Now release the bedroom door and watch it slam closed by it self!

These are the basics of knowledge you will need to begin with to understand the complexities of air movement through a home.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting Group - Banner Ad - COO On Demand
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3