User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

what color whould you like?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

ottawa_roofer

Well this is a good one,from my experience speaking with the man of the house he only want to talk about technical things, not a problem, it's just because he went on the Net and now he thinks he knows everything there is to know about roofing. (easily put in his place) Now when it comes to the women of the house there concerned about esthitics, but this one women wasn't really concerned about it, that's a first...so the Question i asked her was " what colored shingle would you like" her response was unexpected, that doesn't matter, it was a 6/12 visible from the street. so after alot of thinking about this one. i had about 30sq of Rainbow Red at the shop. should i or shouldn't i, that was the question i was asking myself? After alot of deliberation i went for it....( it's a butt ugly shingle)

So i got some feed back about that, i reminded her that she had advised me that she didn't care of the color. so after some heated conversation they had no choice but to except it..>>>

September 18, 2009 at 8:28 a.m.

OLE Willie

I've had people tell me after the job was finished that we used the wrong color which was incorrect. It just didn't turn out like they "expected" for whatever reason. I dont think that kind of thing can be avoided entirely no matter what you do. People that like to complain will complain even when everything is 100% perfect. They just cant help themselves. I had a lady tell me a while back that we installed the wrong "kind" of shinlge. After much investigation it turned out that she mistakenly believed a 25 yr. shingle was a dimensional instead of a 3-tab. I explained to her more than once that with us 20 and 25 yr are 3-tabs and dimensionals are 30 yr plus. She downgraded to a 25 year for the savings thinking she was still getting a dimensional. This was during the slow time we had last winter when everyone was laid off. I roofed this entire house myself in 2 days and she was there ( and her 45 yr old son ) the whole time. She never said a word for several weeks. lol>>>

September 17, 2009 at 6:12 p.m.

vickie

How about a good shingle color story. 30 years ago I worked for a manufacturer that got their bundles mixed up and sold two different colored shingles that got delivered and installed on a roof. The defense was that the roofer should have seen it. I always felt that if the color difference was not significant it is hard to tell in the bright sun? What do you think/>>>

March 6, 2009 at 2:20 p.m.

Terry D

I find that when a homeowner asks us to pick the color, it is because they are afraid of making a decision that they will not like but will have to live with for the duration of the roof. I usually handle it by suggesting a color or two (not more than 2 because it is too much for them to think about) that will complement the brick, trim, siding, etc. I will take out a couple of shingles for them to lay out against the house to ponder and will also ask them to look around the neighborhood, find a color that pleases them and give me the address so that I can determine what color it is.

Under no circumstances will we actually choose the color. If a customer asks for light gray, that range could run from estate gray, to aspen gray to shasta white. It all depends on how they imagine the color.

BUT is is great fun to get a color blind customer and tell them the shingles are purple!>>>

March 6, 2009 at 1:55 p.m.

T-LOCK TECHNICIAN

I have been asked to choose the color for the homeowner and it is something i tell them i refuse to do just for the fact that i no it will come back and bite me in the arse. Thats why i just give them some addresses of the color their leaning to that way they can get a better idea of what it will look like instead of trying to visulize off the sample boards.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS Trends 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad