User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

We just did a house right behind a levy that might break.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

The river is causing some serious commotion in my area. Luckily I live up a huge hill.

A house that we recently completed isn't so lucky. It sits right behind a levy that is at risk of breaking. It's still being remodeled from being burnt out, so their belongings aren't at risk.

This had previously been roofed, about 6 years ago. They removed slate(according to homeowner) and storm contractor installed "100 year" shingles which were actually 50 year.

Here it is almost done.

January 6, 2016 at 7:20 p.m.

Old School

Lucky you! Hey, looking at the picture you posted, it appears that you didn't run that black valley metal far enough past the bottom of the valley. Am I seeing things?

January 6, 2016 at 6:24 a.m.

clvr83

They got lucky. They are right behind the Mississippi levy, which held and it didn't go over the levy, which was also a concern. They were also at risk from another river's levy which had a HUGE hole forming and would have taken out the whole town if the waters would have stayed that high for much longer!

It was pretty intense around here, many people packed their belongings and were listening for tornado sirens signaling that they had six minutes to get out of town.

Now I have to go finish the job, we ran 10' short of ridge and still have to install the scupper on a walkout balcony.

January 5, 2016 at 6:32 p.m.

Old School

With all of the rivers down there rising, did the levee break?

December 31, 2015 at 10:20 a.m.

Old School

I like the woodlands too. We used them on a steep cut up job last spring and they do look nice. It is a whole different look. Nice job.

100 year shingles? These chasers are crazy, and the home owners are gullible!

December 31, 2015 at 7:16 a.m.

clvr83

This was my first time using GAF Woodland shingles because they are new. Initially I didn't like them, but after getting used to them, I really like them!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

USG - Banner - Fire
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio