Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
APOC - CCS Sidebar - ProProgram - June
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

We got taken.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

The Christmas before last, 08', the boys wanted to work instead of taking the week off so I hooked them up with repairs. I went out the day after Christmas to check on them. They were spudding back a built up and patching seams. Three of them. A day or two later one of them (a new hire) put the word out that he had "pulled" his back out that day. By the time it got to me maybe a week or so later, I was ready to can him anyway 'cos his work bad and his 90 days grace period was coming up. So he gets canned. About eight mths later we gat a call from ins co or someone saying he had filed a claim for a back injury whilst under our employ. Then an investigative firm called wanting to know the details and said he currently had EIGHT w/c claims being processed!! (Spare me the "well you should have......" I did'nt hire him or interview him, and all these little tidbits about phone calls etc came third hand) The up shot is.........................last week he walked away with EIGHTY TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS and he called one of our other exemployees as a witness who was'nt even one of those working that day. WTF>>>

September 1, 2009 at 10:38 a.m.

Jed

Tom, You might have a point. Back home if you get hurt you show up at the ER/whatever and get fixed, no bills. So there is no need for workmans comp. But......you still will get the sheister who finds a lawyer to find an angle on the ladder you used and sue whoever.... My folks live in a sleepy little village in the countryside about 40 clicks outside London. Last yr the big news was the postman who is sueing the village council cos he picked up a mail sack that was too heavy and threw his back out.....>>>

August 31, 2009 at 8:30 p.m.

Old School

Nah, they will still sue you. How are the lawyers going to make any money. If that was the case, the lawyers would be up in arms about it. Most lawyers don't deserve to breathe the air that god made for us.>>>

August 31, 2009 at 2:19 p.m.

Jed

Mike, He never hurt his back. It was a bogus claim, backed up by a bogus witness who was not even present. It was made by a low life toothless theiving trailer park mofo from a shrinking gene pool here in the bayou, and I personally hope he dies screaming. The actions of the likes of these "individuals"..... affect every single one of us from increased payments, on increased rates to diminished pay raises. What kills me is there was no accident report filed within the 24hr period, and why the ins co investigators did'nt just call & ask was the witness a witness.....and save 100k!>>>

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

highsky

I had a guy that worked for me 17 years and was a great employee. Three years ago said he pulled his groin and was out for 3 months[winter time of course]and I paid him to keep it off workmans comp. Two years ago another problem crops up with his shoulder and needs surgery. Workmans comp. pays for his doctor bills and out time for another 3 months [winter time again]Last year his back is bad and out again [winter time]then he needs surgery.Tells the doctors he's not getting any better. One of my other guys see's him at wrestling meet 2 hours from here and he walks in the gym like there's nothing the matter with him just before the operation. See's my guy and ''THEN'' it takes him 10 mins. to walk across the floor all bent over. I stopped paying him and 2 weeks later workmans comp. calls with a claim. I told them the whole story and they have 2 investigators watch him and take pictures of what he's doing.Shortly there after I get a certified letter that he's sueing me and is going to go on disability and we have to go to court.We go and workmans comp. shows the pictures and I win. Now he has to pay for all the doctors and all the bills he has.

Also does not work for me anymore either.>>>

August 31, 2009 at 8:17 a.m.

tico

this will only speed up with the economy as it is.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

R-Club  - Banner - Benefits of R-Club
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cotney Consulting Group - Sidebar - Gen Z Affinity Webinar - Register
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo