User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Tru-Slate by GAF ????

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Jed

The GAF rep was here a while back touting this product, and when I read this post all I could think was I did'nt like it but could'nt remember why. But OS has jogged my memory and I agree, also you have to cut the underlayment in strips if I remember right, major PIA. As usual the concern with lack of headlap is directed to water intrusion little thought is given to wind uplift. One of the selling points was that it will be cheaper than a conventional slate roof due to the quantity of slates used being less because of the smaller headlap. I think when all is said and done it could well be more due to the extra labour ( installing the strips of I+W, the hooks, the rails etc) and the extra material.

February 16, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.

Terry D

The GAF rep has been here trying to convince me that this is a wonderful product that is better than full-sized slate because of the fastening system.

He was unable to convince me that wind-driven rain will not get up under the underlayment. I watch rain blow from the gutter to the peak on the building across the street from my house. There is only 2" of lap on these things, it would not take a lot to blow back under them and that is only the rain. Looking at the ice damming that we are seeing here right now, these so-called slate would be popping off like tiddly-winks!

I don't like them but then again, I am only one hard-headed, opinionated person!

February 16, 2010 at 7:22 a.m.

wywoody

The underlayment is a heavy plastic film, so it will probably last at least 10 years. There is one installation of it (pre-GAF ownership) in my town and the thing I notice is the cut pieces in the valley are constantly coming loose. Maybe the system that's worked for cenuties is better than the newfangled 2.0.

February 15, 2010 at 8:49 p.m.

Old School

Mike, it is slate, but it is basicly a single coverage system that relies on an underlayment to keep out the rain. No real headlap. The slate is installed over stainless steel clips and is from the top down. We are pretty sure it will last at least 3-4 years because that is how long it has been out. Be careful!

February 15, 2010 at 6:43 p.m.

wywoody

Mike H Said: So what is this stuff? It sure looks pretty on the back cover of Professional Roofing.

And the burger on the drive-thru menu never looks like the shriveled thing you get when you open the paper bag.

February 15, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.

tinner666

Slate remnants too small for anything else. Use a strap of hooks to hang them on, lay them down, then lay plastic across the tops to simulate what would be the upper half of a slate,( or shingle).

Did you see that 1/2 shingle at a trade show about 20 years back? Used fabric for it's upper half. They claim it will last 50-100 years, but I can't find any old building with them to see how well they did for their first 100 years or so. Till then, the jury's still out.

February 15, 2010 at 4:40 p.m.

JWilliams

never installed it so i wouldnt know..mike been back down to st. joe recently?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

EagleView Assess -  Banner Ad - Visualizer
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest