User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Tru-Slate by GAF ????

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike H

So what is this stuff? It sure looks pretty on the back cover of Professional Roofing.

February 20, 2010 at 5:46 p.m.

TomB

Mike,

I think we did a total 4 projects, (in Denver, Co), with it, 7 or 8 years ago....Before GAF bought it....it's still on and is performing fine....Although, I wouldn't put it on my house, or a house I was building to sell....The slate came mostly from China, (not that there's anything wrong with that). It is slate; The "savings" is that your using 1/2 the slater you typically would use, amd substituting the balance with a polypropelene liner....it may just work out fine. Time will tell....For the money, I don't think it's worth the risk in the long-term. It's not cheap.....By the time you fiddle with the SS hooks, liner, etc....For us, the labor actually came out more than if we had installed a regular/authentic slate system.

Oh yeah, the best part; The importer/manuf., had pumped us all full of BS, that we would be some sort of exclusive rep/distributor, only to sell it to any whore that came along....Apparently GAF bit.....

February 20, 2010 at 4:37 p.m.

egg

It has been awhile since I looked over the TruSlate info and I'm too lazy today to do it now, but I would guess there is a headlap in that system, just not a headlap with stone in it. I put together a bid for this system a year ago, per request of owner as directed through architect and then builder. It was one of three alternates requested. At the last minute I balked. Submitted prices for the three alternates with the caveat I would not install the TruSlate, even as bid. Quite strange I suppose, but in the end they went for one of the other proposals. I don't mind labor savings, but it doesn't save any labor when you are waking up in the middle of the night logging hour after unbillable hour of tossing and turning time. It would probably be a viable system in my weather zone and no doubt look good, be easy to repair, but I just don't want to bite.

February 18, 2010 at 6:36 a.m.

Jed

dennis Said: Jed,

Headlap would be the lap under the third course above.

A 24 tall slate would have an 10 1/2 exposure with 3 headlap.

Tru slate has for example a 12 tall slate with 10 exposure. Theres the savings.

I know what headlap is Dennis, and I never go less than four, I don't care what the pitch.

February 17, 2010 at 8:34 p.m.

Old School

Boy Sean, that doesn't sound good for them or for you!

February 17, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

GSD

If it tells you how good they are doing, They are one of G-Tapes accounts. G-Tape made a special tape for their layout. They used to make a 5-10 case order per quarter for the last 2-3 years, last year they made none. This year they haven't made one either. As far as I know, they still have the tapes in all the installation pics. I just don't think they are selling it.

February 17, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.

Old School

and there goes the head lap!

February 17, 2010 at 8:39 a.m.

dennis

Jed,

Headlap would be the lap under the third course above.

A 24" tall slate would have an 10 1/2" exposure with 3" headlap.

Tru slate has for example a 12" tall slate with 10" exposure. There's the savings.

February 17, 2010 at 6:45 a.m.

Old School

Just about butting them together.

February 17, 2010 at 6:41 a.m.

Jed

The headlap is 1 inch if I remember right.

February 16, 2010 at 8:45 p.m.

egg

I was right there with Dennis...What "headlap?" but then I realized Dennis is the kind of guy who likes a slate the size of a table top and weighing in at three hundred pounds, one that you have to split yourself out of native rock laying out in the woods nearby, so there's not likely to be any way to please him with a product like this.

February 16, 2010 at 7:55 p.m.

Old School

Kind of like the Eco Stars and such. some of them cost more than real slate, course they can be applied with a nail gun. go figure.

February 16, 2010 at 7:15 p.m.

dennis

What headlap???

That stuff is not even a single coverage system without the plastic between courses.

Ridiculous!

The accessories will cost more than the slate.

February 16, 2010 at 7:10 p.m.

Mike H

That's why I was curious enough to ask. The pic sure looked real, and I couldn't figure out how you could get a real slate look at a low price. McMansion mania, folks will try anything seams to have the surf-n-turf style at a po'boy price.

February 16, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.

Old School

I do find it interesting that everyone wants something that looks like slate when installed. I have said it before and I will say it again. Nothing look quite as much like slate as real slate.

February 16, 2010 at 3:56 p.m.

Mike H

Whoa!!! sounds like a real doozy of a product.

I was just curious. It's not my market. I wondered if they took thin slate strips and bonded it to a shingle. What y'all are describing sounds a whole lot worse.

JWilliams, Not since November. Will be down in a week or two, perhaps right after the NRCA show in NO. I've got a question for you, so if you wouldn't mind e-mailing me at MikeAtHRI@aol.com , I'd appreciate it.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements