User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Trophies

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Cyberian

Ever have a roof project that you'll never forget? It's not like I have many dull moments chasing leaks, but sometimes things come up that just stand out.

I've cut out and brought back to the shop many a pinhole to hang up on my trophy board, but sometimes things come up that make me wonder how I got roped into this mess and it ends up being one of my favorite achievements, like this-

"They want the cap over the big door to match the small one"

What!? I fix leaks... Besides, that looks like poopoo if you ask me.

August 1, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.

llucklinn

These are awarded to athletes or sports teams for winning tournaments or achieving notable accomplishments in their respective sports. Sports trophies often depict symbols related to the sport, such as soccer balls, basketballs, or athletes in action.

February 19, 2012 at 9:57 p.m.

Cyberian

Two piece Ludowicis are an interesting tile. The whole assembly is designed with fitted components and is very unforgiving if you miss-align any part.

If you don't get the bird stops spaced correctly, the pans won't set, thus kicking the tops up off the 2X4 runners that they fasten to and making the top bird stops not fit so you can't get the dog bones to sit flat. It's a thinker's tile.

Once assembled securely so that nothing "rocks" it was probably fine without grout but the hips were wide open under the bullnoses. Ludowici doesn't make a tile to close those gaps, so I grouted the whole thing to button it up.

Wind doesn't worry me on this one. I'm more concerned about the green coating peeling.

As far as getting paid correctly, the bosses know how I am and bid accordingly. Both projects came in on time and on budget. Whether or not I got paid accordingly is another story.

February 19, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.

egg

I am enjoying this thread and I also approve of all the various sensibilities expressed in it. One thing I would say about the tile the mortaring and the fastening is that I hope everything got drilled and wired on also. I am never far from remembering that scene in Ben Hur.

February 19, 2012 at 1:10 p.m.

Old School

It looks nice as you say. It can be a lot of fun if you are getting paid correctly.

February 19, 2012 at 10:18 a.m.

wywoody

Nice looking job, Cyb. The smaller the job, the harder it is to have a tall profile tile not look clunky. I once spent two and 1/2 days installing cap-and-pan tile on a tiny (maybe 15'x3') roof indoors at the bar of a clubhouse in Denver. Giving us free drinks while we were there didn't help it go quicker.

February 19, 2012 at 9:40 a.m.

tinner666

It took me a while to fully understand LLC. When I did, I found it's 80% better and easier to solder than regular 20 oz. copper. You don't have to pre-tin it. Just take a 1" and a 4" SS brush to fully shine the insides of the seams, wipe and blow any debris out, and solder it. :) Real fast and simple! :)

February 18, 2012 at 11:04 p.m.

Cyberian

Another from the same campus. I was just supposed to measure it for the tinner to do it, then we had no tinner...

They wanted the red Kynar to turn into lead coated copper, flashed correctly. I'm a hot roofer at heart and don't much care for tin work and have found that I genuinely dislike soldering lead coated copper.

I kept thinking to myself "You know, Tinner666 would make this look easy."

I have nothing to do with that gutter head monstrosity in the background.

February 18, 2012 at 8:35 p.m.

Cyberian

Same building. Mis-matched color tiles, wonky bullnoses, random chips used for fill make by brain hurt, uneven length dog bone ridge tiles and a blown layout (look up near the four way on the top photos), and sloppy grout was the existing east door.

Main entry front door on south side had a plain concrete coping that was falling apart and the school decided they'd like to tile it like the east side. Restoration mason removed the concrete cap and grouted it flat for me.

I'm sure that the average pedestrian going by either door probably can't tell the difference and the camera can't show close details that well so there are only two of us who really know.

February 18, 2012 at 6:00 p.m.

Old School

That must be two different buildings, but i an trying to see what you did and how you did it. Are there any in process pictures?

February 18, 2012 at 4:36 p.m.

Cyberian

"Take the shingler with you for help. No he's never seen a tile before in his life. No, there are no plans. See ya!"

My favorite kind of challenge-

Lead coated 20oz copper cap (architect's spec, about the only spec as a matter of fact) under treated framework. Ludowici tile from owner's boneyard coated by restoration mason to "match". Mitered corners on the birdstops that nobody will ever notice by the autistic leak chaser.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising