User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Tribute to one of the good ones - R.I.P. Mike

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike H

A sad day at Hicks Roofing was Friday May 15th, as one our finest suffered a massive heart attack shortly after unloading the truck that morning.

Mike Risley, 59, was one of those rare individuals that never said "no" to a task. When the night storms blew, it didn't matter how cold, how wet, how late (or early as it may be), when a phone call was made for emergency help, Mike was there. Usually right beside his brother, his son, and his nephew, who also work for Hicks Roofing.

Someone asked me "How do you replace a guy like him?"

I say "You don't. You just thank God for sharing him with you, and hope you're lucky enough to cross paths with another some day."

RIP Mike, you will be missed not just by your family, but by all of us at HRI as well.

[IMG]http://inlinethumb63.webshots.com/44094/2366504100049336972S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/34488/2081321170049336972S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/42296/2902828010049336972S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]>>>

May 22, 2009 at 10:35 p.m.

egg

Will do Jed, but you're doing just fine on your own. Those other guys you mentioned (not a complete list, either) are all nearly senile now. I on the other hand am following Tom Hay's lead and trying to get younger. j/k

>>>

May 21, 2009 at 1:35 p.m.

Jed

You "older boy's"......David, Lanny, Misc, Woody, Egg,, are the ones that give this trade any hope at all......and I'll take any chance I get to learn even just a little bit. So if it's not to selfish of me, hang around for as long as you can...>>>

May 21, 2009 at 11:21 a.m.

builderr

Sorry to hear, Mike.........condolences to all of his families, roofing and and at home. It brings tears to my eyes to see those hands, and look at mine, identical splits, scars, and all. My hands and I will be 60 on Saturday, and I have to tell you, it makes me think twice about working as hard as I do, especially alone, knowing that I'm pushing the line just a little too much. I know you older guys know what I'm saying when I say that I surprise myself sometimes at the amount of work I can still do in a day, especially when I look around at some of the younger crews and compare. This story makes me feel lot less invincible than I was before I read it.

David

>>>

May 21, 2009 at 10:09 a.m.

Pot Gregory

Good men will always be missed, especially by those in close proximity to them and their everyday lives. Condolenses>>>

May 19, 2009 at 6:12 p.m.

jfreynik

Sorry for your loss Mike. Words can never cover the feelings one has when someone good is gone. Makes you sit back and think about who you have working for you.... the person....the man and the lives they touch. You get to see a whole other side of "the Business". It's not just about making money and getting job's done. It's how we impact the people around use.>>>

May 19, 2009 at 3:04 p.m.

Peter1

Sincere Condolences to his family and friends at Hicks Roofing.

The photos display the type of man some of us have the honor to meet and work with.

May He Rest In Peace.

>>>

May 19, 2009 at 9:05 a.m.

JET

Sad to hear........the "good ones" are truly hard to find these days. Hope this is a wake-up call for all here........take care of your health, FIRST, everything else is next.

JET>>>

May 18, 2009 at 5:54 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

My deepest sympathies, firstly to his Family and Loved Ones, but also for the loss of a valuable and obviously respected member of your team.

Like your Signature Comment states, and it must be so true, but for so very few.

It seems as if he is one who earned the right to leave many people grieving his loss.

Ed>>>

May 18, 2009 at 3:43 p.m.

jcagle9595

Those hands speak a million words.>>>

May 18, 2009 at 12:19 p.m.

Lefty

Hi MikeH,

My condolences to you and his family.

That is the way to go. Doing what you like.>>>

May 18, 2009 at 7:25 a.m.

Terry D

"...where the hands of a craftsman are still in style."

Mike,

You are oh so right. That photo says it all. May the good Lord look favorably on him. My prayers to his family and friends.>>>

May 17, 2009 at 11:24 p.m.

pgriz

Condolences to you and to Mike's family. Like Frank says, if you gotta go, let's make it quick and doing what you love. Your tag line seems very appropriate for him.>>>

May 17, 2009 at 6:27 p.m.

tinner666

Sorry to hear it Mike. But, it's the way I'd like to go. Nice and quick, doing what I do best. If he was 'happy', I'm sure he would have wanted it that way too.

( I hope I came across as something other than crass.) :unsure:>>>

May 17, 2009 at 11:45 a.m.

egg

I'm not bald, but that view from above the truck is startling to me. The hands, the sandwich, the pants are a dead match. The aura around him in the pic at the cooler is overwhelming. I never knew him but I am really sad to know he has passed on. I don't drink anymore, but in my mind I am lifting a glass in his honor. God Bless.>>>

May 17, 2009 at 8:10 a.m.

Jed

A tough gap to fill Mike. My condolences to all.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024