User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Tough Start to the Year

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike H

So Easter afternoon, as all but one Son-in-Law of this roudy gang, got together at mom & dad's little cabin in the woods, on what must have been the most beautiful Ohio day of the year so far.

Three short days later, my horse-riding, wood-chopping, ATV-speed-crazy, 75 year old dad, whom has provided me with most of any little wisdom I've ever been able to share, is being prepped for major brain surgery at Duke University.

Ten days later, still in great shape, the staples are ready to come out.

But, Oh what a battle he has in front of him. Diagnosed with the extremely agressive, and nearly 100% fatal, often in just months, Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) brain cancer.

Seeing a young mother with the same thing sure puts it all in perspective though.

What a joy to watch him and my mother as they go through this together. Dad's hard-used Bible is wrapped in duct tape.... and his faith has sure shown. "Don't feel sorry for me, I've lived as blessed a 75 years as a man could ever hope for, and I KNOW my best years are waiting around the corner. I'm just sorry you had to be the one to break the news, Doc."

Yep, that's how my dad would feel. For those that have been here for a long time, I've wrote about him many times. He's one of the "Good Ones". The best one, if my opinion matters.

Ain't been around the RCS. Now you know why. Not that I shoulda been missed. There's a lot of people in that first pic that appreciate the prayers of all who believe.

Fight hard Dennis Hicks, those grandkids are counting on it.

June 7, 2016 at 5:29 p.m.

Mike H

Frank, The one thing I can guarantee... it WILL work out for him, no matter what the result.

OS, HA! Not dad, the doctor wrote that. We told him "We'll be Duke fans for a day" but we were right back to hating all-things-Michigan, 'cept for you ;) the very next day.

Tom, I know that's a stretch for you to get serious. Time sure is going fast, ain't it, my old friend. I hope we have the chance to argue hotdogs, or candy stripers, face to face at least once more in this lifetime.

Andy, It is a blessing, and it sounds like I need to consider us both quite blessed. I hope and pray things go well for your BIL and his family.

clvr, They don't make 'em like that anymore. Each generation seems to be getting a little softer. We come from good stock.

Mike, Separating myself from the emotional tie, it was an AMAZING thing to be a part of watch. And throughout it all, we felt like we were the only patient Duke U had to worry about at the time. His surgeon was in his late 60's and has done this every day for over 40 years. His experience showed.

TRG, I know it's been hard on you and typing is a real challenge since the stroke. Thank you for the words. I know there's a lot more thoughts behind them. God Bless you and may you continue to recover and regain.

Eric, Thank you. Perspective is a great blessing. You are it's master. I, we, love you guys too. (I have heard California calling me back for too long)

April 28, 2016 at 7:27 a.m.

clvr83

Looks like a great family to belong to. I'm sure he has been proud too many times to count.

I just remembered that he was the roofer before you, so we know he is a fighter. My old man had a heart attack on his 39th birthday('93) and a quadruple bypass in 2009. He will be tearing off and kicking ass today as usual. I ask him all the time to drop a gear once in a while, and he is finally listening. Those old guys don't go down easy.

Best wishes.

April 26, 2016 at 11:54 a.m.

andy

Mike,

It is a great blessing to have parents who walk their faith. My folks are in their mid 80's. Dad deals with the debilitating effects of Parkinsons (diagnosed 14 years ago). But the grace with which they deal with issues of disease and aging is witness to their faith every day.

I have a brother-in-law fighting a similar battle.

You and yours are in our prayers as you travel this path.

April 24, 2016 at 12:09 p.m.

egg

That is a tough business and I feel for all of you. Not the kind of new challenge we all secretly pine for, but we do our best and we get what we get. I lost my dad to a brain tumor. It wasn't glioblastoma but when he was diagnosed at 49 he took me aside and told me, "I know this thing is going to get me some day but we'll manage." Not all of us know into which place death will turn the key. We got twenty years to deal with it, three major craniotomies and six sinus surgeries. Three miraculous returns from senility to sentience and everything in between. Twenty-six years after I lost him, he is still very much with me every day.

When i was a kid he would go off to work every day and jokingly sing, "Goodbye, fare well, so long, forever!" By now I know that he really truly was joking. I lost my father-in-law thirty-six years ago. That one really stung. He, too, is with me every day. Showing how to live with grace and, however and whenever the time comes, die with grace is the greatest legacy you can ever leave. What these great ones know and what the rest of us only dimly understand is that all of us only ever have one day. One eternal day. That's ok. I get that. But it's hard for me because I'm the type that doesn't like change. One eternal day is right up my ally, but I don't want them wandering off somewhere where I can't see them.

God Bless and keep on blessing. Love you guys.

April 23, 2016 at 5:19 p.m.

TomHay

Mike,

Trying to think of the words to say as 99% of the time I like to Joke.

Tough as the older you get, the more of this you see.

I hope your Dad is given that one more time up at bat for a home run and the game gets delayed for another 10, 15 years or more.

Attitude and Grit plays a big part and your Dad and the whole Hicks family has that.

My very best on a succesful outcome.

April 22, 2016 at 9:48 p.m.

Old School

Go Duke? Your old man has a sense of humor too Mike. Tell him to hang in there.

April 22, 2016 at 7:28 p.m.

tinner666

:( Sure hope it works out for him. Prayers sent.

April 22, 2016 at 3:01 p.m.

Mike H

Thank you so much, Vickie.

April 21, 2016 at 5:08 p.m.

vickie

I was caught up by your words "What a joy to watch him..." Instead of giving in to the fear and grief you feel joy at the grace in which he is handling this. I believe that he is a great man, (sometimes you can just tell by a picture).

I will pray for you and your family and especially him. He looks pretty good bald too.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio