User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Torch down mess

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

natty

With more and more self adhered and I&W shield in use, what is everyone doing when it needs to be torn off? On this porch, the roof was installed all wrong. They used a peel and stick underlayment directly to the OSB, then torched down a cap sheet. The OSB was barely nailed down, so I had no trouble just taking up the whole thing then redecking with 8 new sheets. I can't imagine the expense on a larger project.

The crazy thing on this project is that it is leaking 4 feet in from the bottom window on the first floor directly under the second story window. I have told them over and over that the leak is from the defective flashing job around the second story window. Eventually, the only fix is to replace the windows and siding with proper flashing and house wrap. The roof was a mess anyway, so they wanted to try that as a fix first.

June 16, 2015 at 7:10 a.m.

clvr83

And that's the rest of the story. Thank you. Sounds like a bunch of disaster roofing, lol.

June 11, 2015 at 6:56 a.m.

clvr83

I thought you put down mechanically attached to allow for structural movement. In fact, I thought I'd seen a post of your's Vaa that showed a bunch of wrinkles due to that.

June 9, 2015 at 11:03 a.m.

CIAK

In defense of inspections, inspectors and perhaps State Lic. Here Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day, it is required to sign notarize official documents and take photos of wood deck nailing and underlayment application. The idea with self adhesives sticking to the wood. Nailed properly and according to code the self adhesives don't need to be torn off. B) :) :) B) Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

June 7, 2015 at 5:01 p.m.

natty

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad